Real Estate
Sponsored by

Thoughts on M/I Homes?

1,855 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by plowboy1065
AgToadie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone here have experience with M/I Homes?

We've liked the floor plans of a few of their models in the NW Houston area, but I'm not familiar with their reputation/quality.

Thanks for any tips or insight.

rao11010
AG
I recently closed on a M/I home in katy. Our builder was very knowledgeable as he was a previous inspector so always knew what was right when the house was being built. I have minor warranty work that needs to be fixed after missing it on the walk through so we'll see how timely they are after closing.
Bassmaster
AG
They built in our old neighborhood. We didn't own one, but they seemed like nice homes.
AgToadie
Thanks guys. Rao, please share any other info once you get settled in. We're a few months off from buying, so would still appreciate any further info.
dallasiteinsa02
I know the CEO very well and have been involved in a few real estate transactions with him. Incredible guy and all of his employees seem to be cut from the same cloth as him.
ww
AG
Bassmaster said:

They built in our old neighborhood. We didn't own one, but they seemed like nice homes.
Same here. They were one of multiple builders and had one of the higher price ranges.

Edit to add: They weren't one of the original builders in the community, but came in a subsequent phase as the lot and home prices increased.
mwp02ag
AG
I've inspected several San Antonio M/I Homes in the last few months including a pre-drywall inspection for my clients this week. It was one of the tighter frames I have been in lately. The builder did miss two broken/damaged trusses though.

Having been a PM for Perry Homes for about 250 homes, I believe quality of construction comes down to the project manager in the subdivision. If the neighborhood is generally clean; trash and good materials are well policed, streets are clean and the homes are generally clean you have a strong indicator the management in the community is doing a good job. If the homes and lots are a mess, you have a strong indicator they are going to have quality issues.

Secondly, if the manager is walking his homes twice a day minimum to ensure work is progressing for the next trade so that they can effectively do their job, you will have better quality. If trades have to make dry runs to homes that are not ready for them or don't have all the needed materials, they don't make money and the quality will quickly begin to suffer.

tl;dr No matter what builder you look at, ensure the neighborhood is typically clean when you tour it you've got a good indication they will build quality homes. If it looks like a war zone, run.
AgToadie
Thanks for the continued thoughts everyone. I understand there are no guarantees, but like seeing all the good reports so far.
valtosca
AG
They're a Columbus, Ohio based public company.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/schottenstein/
plowboy1065
S
I'm a realtor based in the Cypress area and have seen quite a few M/I homes. I'm pretty anal when I walk through a home with clients and from what I've seen they look to be well built quality homes. As stated above, it really comes down to the builder rep walking the property regularly and making sure nothing is looked over
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.