Real Estate
Sponsored by

Better return re-model vs barndo?

1,159 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SteveBott
GatorAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm trying to decide between putting $50k into a re-model of an existing 1960s pier and beam home versus having a small barndo built with maybe 1200 sq ft finished and a similar sized shop/storage area for about $100k. I don't plan on selling anytime soon if ever, but was curious what would add more value from a re-sell perspective.

Any thoughts?

More info on the home improvement board:
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2860299
SteveBott
AG
Remodel
SteveBott
AG
SteveBott said:

Remodel

Futher thoughts

Will barndo be on existing land?

How much land?

Will it be connected by power an utility?

Got a lot more questions but a start
GatorAg03
AG
Yes barndo would be on existing land. 170 acres. Utilities are already in place, except a new septic would need to be dug.

I'm leaning towards remodel due to financing and total cost. I just don't know if my remodel budget is going to get me as far as I would like on a 1700 sq ft house.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Where are you located?
SteveBott
AG
Sorry busy day. Back to barndos. They add good value to your place but not sure why would not just build a barn? Barndos can add cheap, mostly temporary, living quarters, but do you need that space?

If you plan to remodel then build a barn are you done?

Or barn then remodel?

Hard to say what option is better financially since I'm not sure what your life goals are for you or the property.
GatorAg03
AG
We will be living in the remodeled old house or the finished barndo full time for the next 3 years. Then we will be moving away (but plan on leaving behind much of our stuff: tractor, lawn equipment, boats, hunting and fishing gear, tools, guns, etc) and will come back to use the property intermittently for hunting and fishing. Might settle down there full time or at least a few months out of the year a couple decades from now.

The main idea behind the barndo is that we could have it be a nice new build (no old house issues) and it would seal up better than the old house for when we aren't there.

We would strive to rent out the older house as is and try to find a long term caretaker that wants to live on a pretty nice hunting and fishing property at a cheap rent price in exchange for some basic upkeep. Basically we would be very selective and try to find a long term, extremely trustworthy renter that can dual hat as a caretaker.

The barndo would be more than we really want to spend right now (probably 100-120k) and might be a challenge to finance (would need to finance about half), but we could offset the higher initial price with the rent from the old house and having a test run with a renter while we live up the hill a ways would be very nice.

The property lays out pretty well so both house locations would have decent privacy.

Our other option (and what we are leaning towards) is to go ahead and put about 30-50k into remodeling the old house now and if we want to build a barndo or another house a decade down the road then do so. The main issue there is storage of our stuff once we move away in three years. That could be a problem if we choose to rent out the old house once we leave the area.
SteveBott
AG
that makes some sense. Contact Texas Farm Bureau who are sponsors for financing. Pretty sure they do those at 20% down. But you should verify they do and terms.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.