Real Estate
Sponsored by

Annexation by Home Rule City

1,851 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Deats99
Deats99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am now finding myself in a position that The City of Rockwall may be looking to annex us. McLendon Chisholm has made it clear that they are negotiating with Rockwall to release their ETJ's to Rockwall for annexation. There is a large ETJ to the north that is owned by Horton and a few other developers and the city is not interested in annexing those to provide services, We are not the area that they are necessarily trying to release yet, but we are adjacent to it. We have a perfectly functioning neighborhood with all utilities from non-Rockwall providers except septic. We have County Sheriff patrol and fire service from a blended professional/volunteer station a mile away. We also have 24 hour mutual aid for structures from a Forney station less than 5 direct highway miles away that will respond if a house catches fire or is threatened.

I am generally against being attached to a city 7 miles away and burdened with a new city tax rate of 45 cents when we pay nothing now.

What am I missing, some neighbors are excited, most are apprehensive.

I am the sole acting board member for our corporate HOA and am looking for outside commentary. Our subdivision is only 98 homes on about 205 acres once completed out, 95% now. What makes us and the other two neighborhoods attractive is that we represent approximately $50MM in tax base per subdivision. New tax revenues would be roughly $675,000/yr for the city combined.

Is there anyway to stop it if we wanted and got way ahead of it?
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
fourth deck
AG
Would Rockwall come in and convert your neighborhood to sewer? Or would they leave you on septic with the additional taxes as well? I was told years ago that Greer, SC came to our neighborhood with the desire to annex. They weren't going to convert us to sewer because it was too expensive but they were going to pay to "maintain" our septic systems for us (many years it is exactly $0). They were told to GTFO with that nonsense. Here I think the neighborhood has to vote for annexation. Don't know how annexation works in your case but I would be inclined to fight it like a honey badger.
Deats99
AG
Unfortunately Rockwall is big enough to be "Home Rule" so they can do what they want.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
94chem
Quote:

Is there anyway to stop it if we wanted and got way ahead of it?
Stop fighting the annexation, and start working toward binding agreements to make your services equal to the annexing entity.

Advice from a Kingwood resident...
aezmvp
We looked at some homes near where you're at and in the McC area. If you don't get in front of some agreements I'm not sure how much you can do.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
You know what they say......... annexation is like rape.......
Deats99
Post removed:
by user
Deats99
AG
Thanks
Deats99
AG
It is as advertised. It let's people vote to decide on whether or not they wish to be annexed. The House added some floor amendments so now it is in reconciliation.
Have talked to my rep and senator's office this morning.

Thank you!
-George S Patton
fourth deck
AG
Not sure why some of your neighbors would be excited. Sounds like your neighborhood does perfectly fine without any city services or intrusion. Shame it's taken this long for this bill but residents should absolutely be able to tell the city to GTFO.
Bottlerocket
AG
are you located in PID?
Deats99
AG
Nope, only the ETJ. Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction.
-George S Patton
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.