Real Estate
Sponsored by

Wet Basement Resevior

1,030 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LostInLA07
aggiefan117
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have any experience with a wet basement reservoir under a pier and beam foundation? Despite having talked to a handful of normally well-versed individuals who haven't ever heard of such a thing and extensive independent research, I have no idea what I'm getting into. Property is inside the loop in Houston, built in the 30's. Reservoir takes up about half of the foundation, the other half is crawl space.

Ideally, I'd like to drain it, (2.5-3 ft of water currently) seal it off, fill it, and never mess with it again. There's currently a non-functioning sump pump installed. I'd assume once it's up and running that would reduce the level to a few inches of water under normal circumstances. On the other hand, the basement may serve a very legitimate purpose.

I have a few contractors coming out to look at it this week, but would appreciate any insight beforehand. Anyone ever dealt with these things? Worth the hassle or should I just run away?
The Fife
Is there another term for that, because I can't find it used anywhere?
malenurse
AG
This reminds me of the "Chocolate" Diamonds story. Chocolate diamonds are worthless in the retail market. I know, let's call them Chocolate Diamonds and stupid consumers will buy the sh*t out of them.

Crap, we can't keep water out of our basement. I know, let's call it a Wet Basement Reservoir and convince the potential buyers it's supposed to hold water.
Lynch
My basement in Denver had a sump pump that ran automatically when it hit a certain level.
sts7049
AG
this sounds like something to run from
Bitter Old Man
AG
Sounds like a Mosquito nursery.
agdaddy04
AG
Run. Fast
LostInLA07
AG
Houston wet basement:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.