Real Estate
Sponsored by

Brazos County 2017 Tax Assessed Values

1,910 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by thaed137
jmazz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
-Cross posted in Aggieland Forum-

2017 Tax Assessed Values are out.

My homestead went up 1.4% ($5k)...awesome...take that any day of the week.

1 investment property went down 5% ($11k)...awesome...wish that happened every year.

1 investment property went up 8.6% ($22k)...little high but I can live with it.

3 other investment properties (that sit right next to the 8.6% mentioned above) each went up nearly 40% (~$95k/each)...THAT IS ABSURD!
CS78
Ughh! Just poured through mine. Most of mine, I cant argue with too much and many I'm happy with.

There are two that jumped 70%+ due to land value increases. I'll try to fight them but don't know how well it'll work. They kept the improvement value the same but bumped the land values way up due to redevelopment in the area. What they don't realize is the total value is the same. A builder is going to pay $100k for my lot wither it has a crappy house on it or not. They aren't going to pay $100k for the lot and $100k for the house. I pretty much plan on spending half a day negotiating with these people, once a year.

A tip I can give to others with rentals- Do what you can to get them to apply a permanent condition adjustment to your properties. Take in pictures of all the problems your property has. You can also try to fight the condition CD they have attached to the structure. Flood zones, etc. This way, that adjustment applies year after year. If you just go in fighting the values, then you have to do it all again next season.
dubi
AG
Homestead up $46k on appraised value. $21% increase

Rental which is next door and 400sq smaller went up $65k. 31.4% increase

How the hell is a smaller house worth $16k more? Like condition.
dubi
AG
jmazz said:

.THAT IS ABSURD!
+1
jmazz
AG
There should be a 10% cap on your homestead...that'll come down with a phone call, I think.
dubi
AG
jmazz said:

There should be a 10% cap on your homestead...that'll come down with a phone call, I think.
It shows it capped... But it will get me eventually!

But my rental house? 2000sq for $270k (135 per sq ft) vs 2450sq for $256k ($104 per sq ft). They have f'd up royally on the cost per sq foot.
dubi
AG
the house next door
1,837 sq ft 3 BR/2 BA $290k = $157 per sq ft

SoTheySay
S
Less than 5%. I'm shocked.
SteveBott
AG
You CS owners are seeing what I've seen every where in Texas for 3 years. You are a year behind.

My homestead value has increased 10%, max allowed by law, for three years straight.

I expect the same next year.

Round Rock 17 miles from downtown Austin.
JP76
dubi said:

jmazz said:

It shows it capped... But it will get me eventually!

But my rental house? 2000sq for $270k (135 per sq ft) vs 2450sq for $256k ($104 per sq ft). They have f'd up royally on the cost per sq foot.

Are you near campus ?
South Gate or east gate ?
dubi
AG
1/2 mile south of Duncan Dining just past historic district.
JP76
dubi said:

1/2 mile south of Duncan Dining just past historic district.

That dirt's getting mighty high in that area. BCAD loves it because it makes it harder to protest land value over structure.
dubi
AG
It sucks that I have 2 very expensive pieces of dirt. :-(

We really did not plan to move for about 10 more years. We may be taxed into moving.
dubi
AG
Appraisal question:

We are in the flood plain due to Bee Creek. Shouldn't that lower my land values? How much?
SteveBott
AG
That's a tough one. Probably some but BCAD could counter that it is somewhat mitigated by flood insurance
SteveBott
AG
Oh and flooded land is not permanent loss. Land comes out fine. It's the structure at risk
dubi
AG
How do i see the flood plain overlays on brazoscad maps?
SteveBott
AG
You won't. Have to go to FEMA and they are notoriously bad interface. Think 1990's. Nothing is at the county. Most folks rely on an insurance agent but they just use a vendor but worth a try. A surveyor is an accurate vendor on sight. FEMA will tell you that
dubi
AG
SteveBott said:

You won't. Have to go to FEMA and they are notoriously bad interface. Think 1990's. Nothing is at the county. Most folks rely on an insurance agent but they just use a vendor but worth a try. A surveyor is an accurate vendor on sight. FEMA will tell you that

You can insert your address on this website and see the flood plain overlay on satellite.
SteveBott
AG
These are the vendors insurance folks use. They overlay FEMA for a better interface. But still need your grade or elevation for a specific property which is not on FEMA. They advise you to consult a local professional.

Surveyor
Nutmegger
AG
FEMA's isn't awful. Also the City of Bryan has one in their GIS Services: https://gis.bryantx.gov/fema/

I've been house shopping and haven't noticed that sharp of an increase yet when browsing the CAD site. But then again, I'm not looking anywhere near campus.
JP76
dubi said:

100 year floodplain ?

dubi
AG
JP76 said:

dubi said:

100 year floodplain ?

Yes
JP76
And I would counter that the market value is diminished if one has to pay an extra $2400 annually for insurance
SteveBott
AG
Agreed but is your particular home at the bottom of the food plain or highest hill in same? You could be paying 3k or 500 a year in that particular zone.
SteveBott
AG
Dubi call your flood insurance folks and ask what the house is zoned
dubi
AG
SteveBott said:

Dubi call your flood insurance folks and ask what the house is zoned
I will do that.

My premium is ~$450 annually since it has never actually flooded in the house. Water in the front yard frequently.
SteveBott
AG
At 450 you are very low risk so I doubt it materially affects value.
thaed137
AG
Are there any law firms you guys recommend for protesting the taxes? I always get bombarded in Houston but never remember anything in Brazos County.

thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.