Real Estate
Sponsored by

Might be getting it proper from my lender

10,344 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Deats99
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiebq03+
third coast.. said:

You know nothing about my situation besides this thread. Kindly stfu

He's only been trying to help you understand the process from the other side from what I've seen. The tone of the posts could be a bit different, yes. However, the fact you don't like the answers makes them no less valid.
Carnwellag2
third coast.. said:

Dude- you have more issues than just these real estate transaction. You need to check your attitude. STEVE is just trying to give you information and you come across as a ******.

Do you qualify for the new house without selling your current? If the answer is yes- then buy it. If the answer is no, we'll state was right.

Don't know if you are looking for sympathy, but you going about it wrong.

O and thank you for your service
Post removed:
by user
hph6203
AG
I work in the industry, but not as a loan officer so I have no incentive to mislead you in anyway. I don't need you to, nor would I suggest that you use my company's services in the future. Mortgage companies are attempting to generate conforming/conventional loans (i.e. they meet FreddieMac/FannieMae guidelines) so that they are easier to sell and recoup the money they loaned you plus a profit from Fannie/Freddie and then reloan it to someone else in a constant cycle.

You are not going to receive special treatment from USAA, and in general their service level is likely to be worse than that of a smaller institution if you have variable income (i.e. overtime comes and goes, but is consistent on a year by year basis) or unique compensation, because they work on volume with several different customer sources/references (like you choosing them, because you use their banking/insurance/whatever services you utilize them for). Their goal is to close as many loans as possible, and the majority of their loans are going to be W2 salaried/hourly employees with consistent income week to week. It's not their intention to piss you off/disappoint you, everyone in this industry gets paid on a per loan basis, but they can afford to piss you off, because they've got another 30 loans that will go smoothly and garner recommendations.

The smaller institution is going to acquire customers through providing better service and trying to make the process as simple/smooth as possible for you, because they don't already own mindshare in the public and they generate business based solely upon their mortgage services, not because they have great checking/savings/brokerage etc. services and mortgage is just a side hustle.

My advice is to not completely throw out the advice he's giving you, because it is accurate. When you haven't seen behind the curtain of a mortgage company its hard to understand, but we are handcuffed by the guidelines set out by Freddie/Fannie and there's not much room for deviation.
cab559
AG
How many shares of HDY did you list on your statement of assets?
Post removed:
by user
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Great explanation of the lending environment hph!

I would add that smaller lenders would be more likely to have access to alternative products in case something falls between the conventional cracks then do assembly line big bank types. Additionally, the loan officers are typically more seasoned so you do not taken down the wrong path initially. Not always the case of course but usually is.
The Collective
AG
third coast.. said:

Medaggie
hph6203 said:

I work in the industry, but not as a loan officer so I have no incentive to mislead you in anyway. I don't need you to, nor would I suggest that you use my company's services in the future. Mortgage companies are attempting to generate conforming/conventional loans (i.e. they meet FreddieMac/FannieMae guidelines) so that they are easier to sell and recoup the money they loaned you plus a profit from Fannie/Freddie and then reloan it to someone else in a constant cycle.

You are not going to receive special treatment from USAA, and in general their service level is likely to be worse than that of a smaller institution if you have variable income (i.e. overtime comes and goes, but is consistent on a year by year basis) or unique compensation, because they work on volume with several different customer sources/references (like you choosing them, because you use their banking/insurance/whatever services you utilize them for). Their goal is to close as many loans as possible, and the majority of their loans are going to be W2 salaried/hourly employees with consistent income week to week. It's not their intention to piss you off/disappoint you, everyone in this industry gets paid on a per loan basis, but they can afford to piss you off, because they've got another 30 loans that will go smoothly and garner recommendations.

The smaller institution is going to acquire customers through providing better service and trying to make the process as simple/smooth as possible for you, because they don't already own mindshare in the public and they generate business based solely upon their mortgage services, not because they have great checking/savings/brokerage etc. services and mortgage is just a side hustle.

My advice is to not completely throw out the advice he's giving you, because it is accurate. When you haven't seen behind the curtain of a mortgage company its hard to understand, but we are handcuffed by the guidelines set out by Freddie/Fannie and there's not much room for deviation.
So true and eventhough my current assets should make me bullet proof for loans, I still have to show my last 2 pay stubs which makes no logical sense. Even now when I take a mortgage out, I have to jump through the same nonsensical hoops that everyone else jumps through and there is no way around it. Its the game that you have to play to get the best Fannie backed rates/terms. If you can't or won't jump through these hoops they will reject you.

I bet if I have 1 mil in the bank and went for a 200K home loan, most lenders looking to sell to Fannie would reject me on the spot if I didn't show my last 2 pay stubs.

There are other ways around it if you won't or can't jump through the hoops, you just won't get the best terms.

jja79
AG
Why does it not make logical sense to have to produce 2 pay stubs?
The Collective
AG
Paystubs are part of the game. Even in business loans where you offer sufficient assets as collateral, they still want to see all of your financial statements... including an income statement. That is essentially the paystub part of the equation for individuals.
Medaggie
jja79 said:

Why does it not make logical sense to have to produce 2 pay stubs?
I just find it not logical that having 2 pay stubs is required to secure a loan but I understand that now with automation, the computer needs all the information.

Joe has 5 million in the bank but wants to buy a rental home and leverage the low interest rate environment. Joe doesn't have a typical job and did not work the last 2 months.

Dave has 10K in the bank, has a job where he makes 100k a yr but no other assets.

maybe I am just way off base, but Fannie and most big lending institutions would give Dave a better terms than Joe but we all know Joe has a much lower risk.

Dave is one unemployment away from defaulting while Joe would not.
Medaggie
CJS4715 said:

Paystubs are part of the game. Even in business loans where you offer sufficient assets as collateral, they still want to see all of your financial statements... including an income statement. That is essentially the paystub part of the equation for individuals.
I get it. But would a Fannie backed loan reject me if I had 2 mil in liquid assets needing a 200K loan but did not earn any income the past 6 months? I would think that I would be rejected.
The Collective
AG
I would say Fannie/Freddie loans are not in existence for that type of borrower.
jja79
AG
If Joe were working with a competent lender he would know about asset dissipation.
FourAggies
AG
I had a brief experience with asset dissipation. Reps at the first few lenders were negative. It wasn't clear whether they weren't trained, thought it was too much work, or it was someone else's product. Found a lender through a wealth management firm and closed it quickly. The best advice I have is to close on that retirement home the month before you retire, not after.
flown-the-coop
AG
If Joe has $5MM in the bank he is not going to Bank of the Corner. He is private banking. In private banking, they would offer him something less than market for his rental in exchange for his deposit on account.

Ive spent the better part of the past decade building several small business, building homes, residential lending and dealing with very wealthy folks (and their banks).

When dealing outside the norms, small lenders / banks can do many things. Hell, Jay may have a really rich friend that admires your work and situation and says to underwrite your note and they will hold it. As mentioned, any bank of size wants a conforming note so they can resell it to a processor or Fannie / Freddie.

I have a good relationship with a Texas bank that deals on a more personal level (hmphh... Frost). I have enjoyed a $50k uncollaterlized personal line of credit with those guys for the past several years. Would BofA give me that. F no. Funny though, I asked for an increase and guess what they wanted in addition to my PFS. They wanted my last 2 pay stubs.

Point to third_coast is to take some of the advice above in order to get to a solution that works for you. Ignore the criticism even if some of it may be valid. Find a personal relationship on this board you can leverage to find the best outcome for you and your wife and kids,.
histag10
AG
flown-the-coop said:

If Joe has $5MM in the bank he is not going to Bank of the Corner. He is private banking. In private banking, they would offer him something less than market for his rental in exchange for his deposit on account.

Ive spent the better part of the past decade building several small business, building homes, residential lending and dealing with very wealthy folks (and their banks.

Sadly, 5MM in a private bank is small peanuts. Most won't open an account for you unless you keep at least 3 in at all times. In fact, there are quite a few people out there with accounts totalling over 5 MM in local banks, because they are typically offered board positions and other incentives. Yes, incentives at a private bank are typically better, but some people like to help the community they live in.

Sorry for the deviation in the thread
JustPanda
AG
It should also be added that most people with 5-10+ MM actually do bank at the Local Bank and a larger house. Why? The off the rack rates from the local lenders are sometimes much more competitive than the larger houses can offer. I see it every day. They typically have 3-4-5 accounts.
BTD
This thread has been great! Thank you to all involved, especially Third Coast. Facts will never beat emotion....
Post removed:
by user
Southlake Ag
AG
One of the main issues with consumer lending today is that all mortgage lenders have to ask and receive a large number of items to be able to provide a loan to a prospective borrower. A ton of the new requirements have to do with the Fair Lending Laws. You have to treat all borrowers the same. Doesn't matter how much money someone has in the bank, who they are, how many houses they own, etc. Lenders have to be able to prove up income, debt to income ratios. If you don't do it correctly, and provide a person a loan that wasn't correctly underwritten (according to debt to income ratios, loan to value ratios, etc.), then the Lender and officer have larger issues.

Bill Gates, Ross Perot, or whomever you pick have to go through the same process. It's a pain for all involved!
Deats99
AG
Southlake Ag said:

One of the main issues with consumer lending today is that all mortgage lenders have to ask and receive a large number of items to be able to provide a loan to a prospective borrower. A ton of the new requirements have to do with the Fair Lending Laws. You have to treat all borrowers the same. Doesn't matter how much money someone has in the bank, who they are, how many houses they own, etc. Lenders have to be able to prove up income, debt to income ratios. If you don't do it correctly, and provide a person a loan that wasn't correctly underwritten (according to debt to income ratios, loan to value ratios, etc.), then the Lender and officer have larger issues.

Bill Gates, Ross Perot, or whomever you pick have to go through the same process. It's a pain for all involved!
A voice of reason ^^^, we don't like having to put some of our best clients through the ringer, much like a doctor dislikes the the process of giving a prostrate exam. BUT in order to say we did our jobs, do what is best for our clients, and maintain our fiduciary responsibility to the client and the lender we have to. It sucks but I feel like this boils down to proper expectations.

Now are there loans that do not require full documentation? yes Does it sound like the lender went this way? No Without a 1003 none of us can reasonably understand what you are going through. Long and short, the program y'all are using requires certain things. If that was not disclosed, that is your lenders fault, by way of improper expectation setting or some screw up.

One of my guys is dealing with one now where we were approved for a w-2 only loan. Great until we find out that B1's employer did not properly file his W-2 with the IRS(therefore we cannot properly do a 3rd party verification). The only solution is to provide the complete taxes and transcripts for both clients at the 11th hour in order to verify.

I am not defending the process, your lender, or any of this mess, but at this point this is the hand dealt.

Good luck to you!

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.