Real Estate
Sponsored by

How Do You List and Advertise Your Rental Property

2,063 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JB
Aggiemike96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a single family house in San Antonio (78249 near UTSA and USAA) that I'm interested in renting. I come to SA semi-regularly and plan to handle maintenance myself. I'd like to avoid posting on Craigslist. What are your go-to sites to list a rental?

Also, if you use a broker to locate and screen potential tenants, what should I be aware of? Any broker recommendations in NW San Antonio?
Bill Robbins
AG
A lot of BCS owners use Hotpads.com
schwack schwack
AG
I've had good luck getting an account on zillow & posting to them, trulia & hotpads thru there - you can pick thru tons of sites where they'll list it, but I just went with the 3 majors. Oddly, most of my hits come from trulia. I do not do craigslist at all anymore & I don't do the face book local real estate groups either - too many unqualified lookers. However, when I have an opening I do look at the face book local group & if I see someone looking for what I have, I'll pm them. That site is LOADED with "looking for 3/2 under $500" people..... which is why I don't post + they can get pretty insulting on there when you post high end (for the area) rentals for higher than normal (yet extremely fair) rents.

I just posted a listing last week (and hadn't even put the pics up yet) and immediately got a request for a showing, I did the next day & she took it - 2 day turn around. Of course that was luck - she needed a place immediately. She had set up an alert with zillow listing some criteria that she wanted, ours matched-ish & she saw the listing as soon as it went up. Nice feature.

edit: I also put a sign in the yard.

SwissAgg
AG
I put a sign in the yard and an advertisement in the paper.

Funny, the sign in the yard has gotten my tenant each time.
hopeandrealchange
The first part of January I turned the leasing of my rental homes over to a local leasing agent. Last Monday (three months later) I e-mailed to ask about progress. Excuses, no pictures, excuses bla bla bla. I fired them that night. Hit Zillow with great presentation the next day and my phone has not stopped ringing. Signed a lease today. I can only imagine they where giving priority to the homes they own and doing the old bait and switch when someone called them about one of my homes. Do not ask who it was. The owner is a friend and I have not quite figured out how to share this with him.
schwack schwack
AG
Zillow has been the best for me, too. I have 15 now waiting to see an available listing.
PTXaggie08
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

The first part of January I turned the leasing of my rental homes over to a local leasing agent. Last Monday (three months later) I e-mailed to ask about progress. Excuses, no pictures, excuses bla bla bla. I fired them that night. Hit Zillow with great presentation the next day and my phone has not stopped ringing. Signed a lease today. I can only imagine they where giving priority to the homes they own and doing the old bait and switch when someone called them about one of my homes. Do not ask who it was. The owner is a friend and I have not quite figured out how to share this with him.
you waited 3 months for a tenant?!
HowdyAgs03
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

The owner is a friend and I have not quite figured out how to share this with him.

Send him a link to this thread.
evestor1
Was surprised not to see it yet, but i use craigslist in Houston area with great success.

Number 1 is definitely zillow.

The worst for me is a sign in the yard...it typically brings out the negotiators trying to convince me that my $1500 rental is worth $1073
DallasAggie0
hopeandrealchange said:

The owner of what? You should be furious as 3 months should be amounting to thousands of dollars in lost rent.
Jack Boyett
AG
My last 2 or 3 tenants from facebook have not been good. I'm in a smaller town with rent houses being hard to find. The local Century 21 maintains a list of area rentals for free. I'm going to try that next time.
JB
AG
I use my realtor to list my rental, do the background check, and get the contract drawn. They charge 1/2 of one months rent. Does a great job, but I might try Zillow for the next go-round to save a little money.

I have a rental in SA between UTSA and Med Center. It rented very fast back in August.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.