Real Estate
Sponsored by

Selling a home on a busy street (Dallas)

7,119 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FincAg
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I'm looking for houses in Dallas and that's in my price range, location kills it. Speaking as an architectural photographer, your best chance will come from having mind-blowing photography done to get someone to fall in love with it before seeing where it is. Go get Shoot2Sell to give it their treatment, they're decent and well-priced.

Not only that, if I was looking in that price range I'd buy the one with 500 more feet for less money - fix it up and have 40% more property.
gvine07
AG
Keep your house and rent it out! Go rent a home for 2 years and then buy a bigger house.

To convince your wife you just need to take her to a nice house for rent!

....these are things I wish I did. Twice.
QuitTrippin
Who tiled your shower? It looks like a DIY, the outside edge needs to be trimmed out.
Agree with shutters asap.
You painted it to your liking but as others have said it's too many colors. You don't need to paint closet doors and bedroom doors.

Does fridge convey? Might want to make that abundantly clear either way, looks like a nice one.

Granite counter tops would be a couple grand, worth it.

cab559
AG
As someone who Is selling a house, take all emotion out of it, your house probably isn't as good as you think it is, and it is worth what someone will pay you for it.

Good luck. Oh and I would repaint the interior.
Cyp0111
Your renovation is likely to cost you money. I'm assuming you did the sink and countertops in the kitchen?

The bathroom, den/paint, entire kitchen, ugly tile in sitting area, and terrible photos are not helping. It's *****
Joan Wilder
AG
You can move the crib long enough to get a good photo of the room. Also open the shower curtain- youre selling the full bath. It the curtain.

Invest in better pictures
Cyp0111
KB Home quality sink doesnt help.
Deats99
AG
Ok so not trying to pile on. I grew up backing up to Skillman just north of Church road. Skillman is loud as hell and we had a 100' wooded buffer between us and the house.

If it were me, I would invest the services of a landscape architect and rework the front adding a circle drive and landscaping to reduce the presence of Skillman. Just my two cents. I am also on the mortgage side, but my wife is an agent and that was her feedback.

Good Luck!
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Just lower the price and sell at 270-275 take ur profit and run
JamesBREI06
AG
Correct answer
Premium
AG
Sumlins Oreos said:

Correct answer

He is pending at $299 while others said drop it to $270 and take your losses. Sad thing is I think a lot of realtors would give the same advice.

Of course he may have accepted less, but the point is the price wasn't lowered and it appears to be selling.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Premium said:

Sumlins Oreos said:

Correct answer

He is pending at $299 while others said drop it to $270 and take your losses. Sad thing is I think a lot of realtors would give the same advice.

Of course he may have accepted less, but the point is the price wasn't lowered and it appears to be selling.

Id wonder what the contract price is. I bet it's lower than 299
AlaskanAg99
AG
I had a house on a busy street and on a hill. So cars were always gunning it up. Listed early October, no hits, lots of visits. The weekend before Thanksgiving when kids were out of school and so we're parents taking vacation we had viewers on a sunday. They placed an offer and revisited thanksgiving day. About as low as traffic as it gets both times.

I disclosed road noise is an issue. I had no other offers and they came in over asking. Closed and i took the money and ran. I have no doubt they regret buying my house once Jan hit and full traffic came back. Crazy stuff can happen and we did a ton to that house to make it as nice as it could possibly be. At least the driveway didn't face the noisy road...but the children's bedrooms did... sux to be them.
PTXaggie08
AG
Yep, I am under contract. Still in option period, but I will share details in a few days.

Hoping this is our buyer... they seem very excited about getting a house in this area for this price.
PTXaggie08
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

At least the driveway didn't face the noisy road...but the children's bedrooms did... sux to be them.
My 10 month old baby sleeps next to the window that faces the road. It hasnt been an issue. They get used to it pretty quickly.

(similar to sleeping in FHK on Northside and dealing with the train...)

Cyp0111
I had a feeling u were a Northsider..
The Collective
AG
PTXaggie08 said:

My 10 month old baby sleeps next to the window that faces the road. It hasnt been an issue. They get used to it pretty quickly.

Don't even need a sound machine in the kid's room.
PTXaggie08
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I had a feeling u were a Northsider..
PTXaggie08
AG
Closed this morning. $295,900.

We close on a house in Richardson next week. (not a busy street)

Premium
AG
PTXaggie08 said:

Freakomics at work on this board. All of the expert realtors said sell at $270 and take your losses. Realtors follow basic economics - they don't lose much commission by getting the seller to accept less - in return they get the deal closed and get to move on to the next one. Cause sellers and buyers to under and overpay regularly. Realtors........ verify and then trust.
AggiePlaya
AG
I see 2 posters that supported the "sell at 270" and I'm not sure either one of them are realtors...did any actual realtors in DFW weigh in or are you freakonomically assuming they did?
Premium
AG
AggiePlaya said:

I see 2 posters that supported the "sell at 270" and I'm not sure either one of them are realtors...did any actual realtors in DFW weigh in or are you freakonomically assuming they did?

1 person mentioned a $250K comp as most similar - 4 blue stars and a direct agreement. Another poster said $270 and run along with 8 blue stars and a direct agreement. Yeah, I'd say most people on here were saying take $270 and run.
AggiePlaya
AG
Premium said:

AggiePlaya said:

1 person mentioned a $250K comp as most similar - 4 blue stars and a direct agreement. Another poster said $270 and run along with 8 blue stars and a direct agreement. Yeah, I'd say most people on here were saying take $270 and run.
Don't get me wrong, some realtors are incompetent but there are plenty that I actually trust and respect so it's a little unfair to let the opinions of a bunch of amateurs sway your impression of Realtors.

The realtors that I trust do not just push for their clients to list for lower and "run"
aggiebq03+
Congrats!
Always a relief with the paperwork is finally signed.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Premium said:

PTXaggie08 said:

Freakomics at work on this board. All of the expert realtors said sell at $270 and take your losses. Realtors follow basic economics - they don't lose much commission by getting the seller to accept less - in return they get the deal closed and get to move on to the next one. Cause sellers and buyers to under and overpay regularly. Realtors........ verify and then trust.
Man, you don't miss any opportunities to take a shot at Realtors do you? For the record I am one, and I keep up with who is on this board, and I am 99% certain none of them gave price advice, you just assumed they did because you wanted them (Realtors) to be wrong. I see far fewer posts from the professionals offering free help these days than there used to be and it's posts like this and posters like yourself that drive us away. We'll leave it to you Freakonomics experts to handle everything.
Premium
AG
East Dallas Ag said:

Premium said:

PTXaggie08 said:

Man, you don't miss any opportunities to take a shot at Realtors do you? For the record I am one, and I keep up with who is on this board, and I am 99% certain none of them gave price advice, you just assumed they did because you wanted them (Realtors) to be wrong. I see far fewer posts from the professionals offering free help these days than there used to be and it's posts like this and posters like yourself that drive us away. We'll leave it to you Freakonomics experts to handle everything.

Stop pretending realtors are the last true bastion of selflessness. Just like in all sales there will run the range of people from shady to highly upstanding. And just because someone is upstanding doesn't mean they won't bend to the laws of economics. Time is money.

In general I will give you that Ags are higher on this theoretical scale so I can see where you find offense. But from everything I know from this thread is we are not talking about Ag specific realtors - it's about realtors in general. And realtors in general should be verified before trusted.

What I mean by that is look out for yourself as a buyer or seller. Do your own research to compare with what the realtor is selling. Ask tons of questions.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Premium said:

East Dallas Ag said:

Premium said:

PTXaggie08 said:

Stop pretending realtors are the last true bastion of selflessness. Just like in all sales there will run the range of people from shady to highly upstanding. And just because someone is upstanding doesn't mean they won't bend to the laws of economics. Time is money.

In general I will give you that Ags are higher on this theoretical scale so I can see where you find offense. But from everything I know from this thread is we are not talking about Ag specific realtors - it's about realtors in general. And realtors in general should be verified before trusted.

What I mean by that is look out for yourself as a buyer or seller. Do your own research to compare with what the realtor is selling. Ask tons of questions.
Let me know where to send your Jump To Conclusions Mat. I get it, you're a Freakonomics lemming...err disciple, and their narrative makes for just too good of a story not to be true, right? Good luck fact checking any of their "conclusions". For whatever reason you have your cross-hairs trained on Realtors as this isn't the first time you've taken shots on this forum. Apparently you've had a bad experience in the past, I'm sorry about that, but maybe take that hate somewhere else as it's detrimental to the entire forum. I think I can speak for most other Realtors who post here and say by no means are we looking for respect, but we could do without the hostility.
Premium
AG
"Detrimental", "Hostility"... if a post warning others to verify and then trust realtors triggers such emotions, I don't know what to say.
schwack schwack
AG
I love realtors. They make buying & selling so much easier. HOWEVER you do have to pick wisely. When we sold our last house, we interviewed 3. All came highly recommended, none were friends of ours. Not for any reason - I would use a friend for sure - but we went with the people that seemed to sell the most in our rural neighborhood.

#1 came in at $239K
#2 came in at $219K (this one had the most recent sales in the area)
#3 came in at $255K (above comps but she was very confident & I figured it gave us wiggle room)

We went with #3. Surprise. In 2 days we had a contract with the 2nd person that saw it. The offer was $250K & it was a holiday weekend so we didn't check messages until that night - but that spooked them & they upped it to $252K before we even had a chance to counter. We accepted.

We were concerned about the appraisal but it passed with no problems. This was 2010.

Could not have done this without a realtor. Just got lucky on our pick.

East Dallas Ag
AG
Premium said:

"Detrimental", "Hostility"... if a post warning others to verify and then trust realtors triggers such emotions, I don't know what to say.
There's friendly warnings and advice, then there's taking unsubstantiated pot-shots because you have some agenda against Realtors. Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to, i guess.

And Schwack - glad that worked out for you. I'll say when it comes to pricing I don't know any Realtors who intentionally suggest a low list price (for personal ease of sale) especially when they know a client is interviewing multiple Realtors, it would be completely contradictory to the goal of winning a listing as we all know, (laws of Economics, right Premium?) that the higher the sales price, the more attractive it will sound to a seller, even if that's not their main motivation. But I do know several, and one in particular in my market, that gives really unrealistic list prices and that's called "buying the listing". He's become somewhat known for it and we all just watch his listings sit (of course some sell) and I hear stories of how pissed off his clients are. All that to say, just because one agent suggests a lower list price than another it doesn't mean they have some ulterior motive, most likely its just their honest opinion of where they think the house will sell. We can be wrong like anyone else.

And to the OP, congrats and sorry for the derail. I believe we've met before. I think you picked the right time to sell that house as save for a few really hot areas, I'm about ready to call the market (at least Dallas proper). peaked.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

And Schwack - glad that worked out for you. I'll say when it comes to pricing I don't know any Realtors who intentionally suggest a low list price

Yeah - we just thought that the neighborhood warranted a higher price & just decided to risk the higher listing. We were the smallest that had gone on the market & the bigger houses were all in the $300K+ range. So, in a sense even at $255K it was a good way to get into the neighborhood of larger (but not necessarily nicer) houses, each on 5-10 acres. The guy that bought ours eventually cleared some woods & built a second house for his parents. There was plenty of room to tuck it in so that they don't even see each others houses. I think it was just the perfect scenario & timing for him.
DallasAggie0
Whether you agree with realtors being trustworthy or not, this thread is a perfect example of how in a seller's market realtors are ridiculously overpaid.

At 300k you've paid your realtor nearly 10k to list your property online and walk people through it. In a market like these even a house with serious issues can sell relatively quickly. I'm hoping concepts like Door can start to catch on. The current residential brokerage model is archaic.
Purple Parrot
FincAg
AG
Is 60+ days quick?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.