Real Estate
Sponsored by

Insurance Appraisal Process

891 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cadet05
golf05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our home was hit by the tornado in May 2016. The insurance company has not offered enough money to repair the home. Our contractor bids are about $100K higher the insurance numbers. At this point, the insurance company has asked to go to Appraisal. Have any of y'all gone through the appraisal process? If so, can you recommend anyone with experience to represent us through this process?
My email is: 007txag at gmail dot com
Thanks in advance for your help!
Harman Rabb Jr.
You need a lawyer now.
DallasAggie0
Interested to see how this turns out. Where exactly are the insurance company getting their numbers from and how could it be that far off?

Further, how could an appraiser possibly be of value in this scenario? The house wasn't totaled it sounds like.
Reloadags1998
AG
Where are you located?
golf05
Thanks for the messages.
I do have an attorney handling my case.
However, the insurance company is requesting the dispute be settled in a process known as Appraisal. It is similar to mediation. If you search "insurance appraisal" you will see this is where most insurance cases end up. There has been fraud on the insurance company's side, so that is the reason for the extreme difference in the estimates. The home is located in Bryan, and I thought maybe one of y'all had been through the insurance appraisal process before.
histag10
AG
Prepare for a large legal bill. Lawyers for insurance companies like to generate paper. A lot of paper. Which in turn generates work for your attorney. We won't handle any insurance cases because of the crazy amount of random **** they file and send out.

Have you got multiple bids on the work? Anytime I have had to file any claim, there is usually one who does the work at insurance rates, 1 who charges a crazy amount more because it's a necessity after a storm and they assume you will pay, and one who says he won't charge you your deductible, then cuts corners to try to make an extra profit.
OrdAg89
AG
Co tact HAAG engineering and see what they would charge to represent your side During appraisal. I was in the property claims business for 20 years and they did a pretty good job
Cadet05
AG
Haag is crazy expensive. Did you get a second contractor opinion? I've handled dozens of appraisals and most of the time it's contractors trying to overcharge or inflate damages. Location? I can refer you to some contractors that are familiar with the claims process. You can hire an independent adjuster or contractor to act as your appraiser. The appraiser for each party agree on an umpire. When two of the three parties agree on an amount, that's what you get. Your contractor cannot be your appraiser.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.