Real Estate
Sponsored by

First time owner, bought new construction 2014 (Houston townhome) - home warranty?

2,604 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Diggity
NYAG08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for any experience on home buyers purposefully foregoing a home warranty on a new home (new build specifically). Under my ignorance, I apparently never purchased or was provided one with purchase of a newly built home in 2014. Real estate agent I worked with never mentioned anything regarding sourcing one, and appears builder (Kavak aka Fisher homes of Houston did not provide one). Now have a roof leak.

Question - Is it just a lesson learned for first time home buyer (and obvious mistake on my part), or would you expect a more involved agent to point that out?

Feels a bit like a fault on the agents part (ultimately mine, I know) given they knew I was a first time buyer, so trying to right size my expectations.
SoTheySay
S
In my opinion you aren't missing much without a home warranty. They're hit and miss. I also don't believe home warranties cover roofing - at least not the companies I have used.

Have you had a roofer come take a look? Sometimes roof leaks aren't as big of an issue as they appear.

Your builder likely provided a warranty but there are limitations. The roof may have been covered for X years. Same for everything else in the house.

ETA: I don't often get home warranties on new builds because everything should be under warranty with the manufacturer or builder for the same amount of time or longer that the home warranty would cover.
SteveBott
AG
My builder gave me a one year complete warranty and 10 year structure one. Call the builder
AggiePlaya
AG
I don't believe any of the home warranty products offered for sale cover roof anyway, but yes I'm shocked your realtor didn't mention asking for one. Many 1st time home buyers like the added protection, even though the home warranty companies can stiff you on claims sometimes. I personally don't like them
NYAG08
Getting roofer quotes asap. Appears case of missed consideration on my and the realtors part...

I would understand if the roof is not covered, but I'd like to assume a builder would provide at least some kind of coverage. Reached out to them regarding if they provide any warranties or not and getting stiff armed.
brotherbear
AG
Builders are required to provide warranties on new builds. 1 year top to bottom, mechanicals go for two years and structural for 10 years. Roof leak would have fallen in the first year portion. Since you purchased in 2014 the only warranty you still have is structural (foundation and load bearing walls). A roof leak is not structural.
Diggity
AG
Warranty info should have been part of the builder contract.
Buck O Five
AG
brotherbear said:

Builders are required to provide warranties on new builds. 1 year top to bottom, mechanicals go for two years and structural for 10 years. Roof leak would have fallen in the first year portion. Since you purchased in 2014 the only warranty you still have is structural (foundation and load bearing walls). A roof leak is not structural.

This
NYAG08
Good to know Brotherbear, thank you.

Had a roofer in Friday, appears simply a case of poor worksmanship (they used nail guns to fasten down the metal rims around where shingle start, and metal had clearly loosened up exposing nail holes). Fixed and sealed now.

I contacted the builder and they refused any knowledge of any warranty. Typical for past dealings as well. I have no problem saying if your looking to buy in Houston area, stay away from Fisher homes.
mwp02ag
AG
brotherbear said:

This, you should have a Home of Texas Warranty Program manual somewhere in your documentation. It's a little blue book or at least it used to be.

http://www.homeoftexas.com
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

I contacted the builder and they refused any knowledge of any warranty

Other than implied warranties of good workmanship....they have to do a good job to minimum standards. If shoddy work was done I am not sure if that is outside any express warranty laid out to a 1, 5, 10 year term. Clearly I am not a lawyer or construction person, but just dealing with an issue on some remodel work from a contractor this past year....bottom line they have to do a professional job.
Buck O Five
AG
I wish that were true.
Diggity
AG
seems very subjective....

Once you have paid someone, outside of a warranty claim, there's not much you can do as far as quality of workmanship.

Believe me...I would love to sue the idiot the previous homeowner contracted to do the updating. I've had multiple marble tiles fall out of the ceiling of the shower because he didn't put enough adhesive. He also installed ceiling fans without proper support and every shelf in the house and garage was attached to just the drywall, without any effort to find a stud.
NYAG08
Finally received some update to this. For context, it's not like we're talking about major breaks and falling drywall, but I also like to ensure builder is staying honest. These are hair line cracks running floor to ceiling and ~6ft horizontal corner to mid wall. Probably a few hrs of filling, texture and paint to fix.

They sent someone out to take pictures, and determined:

"Based on the photos and the information we have gathered, we believe it to be normal. The experience you are having with the walls appears to be from normal settling that occurs with a new home while it is adjusting. If you have any questions please let me know. This is outlined in some information that I am going to send you on friday morning."

Still have not received requested copy of structural warranty wording.

Sound legit that wall cracks as result of slab/structure settling wouldn't fall under "structural" remediation? I say structural because these cracks run against the firewall that splits the duplex (town home on both sides of a shared wall).
Diggity
AG
drywall cracks wouldn't be a part of your structural warranty.

They likely used a 3rd party like ACES, which defines structural damage as:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.