Real Estate
Sponsored by

Seeking 'style of home' has gone too far

1,538 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dreyOO
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have any of you noticed a trend, probably several years now but definitely kind of recent, on house hunters, that when they list their wants/must haves, they ALWAYS include a style of home now, and EVERY TIME, they don't want the same thing.

I can remember far back people wanting craftsman, usually when looking near city centers, or maybe a two story vs. ranch, but now, every style in the book is being sought out by seemingly random people (most people couldn't name more than a few styles of home, let alone really want a specific one) on this show even in small cities, where I wonder if a home of their desired style even exists.

Last night I watched an episode where they were in some small town in Maine, she wanted a cape cod, he wanted a greek revival. I've seen people seeking tudor, craftsman, spanish style, tuscan, Mediterranean, colonial, dutch colonial, georgian, victorian.. on and on.

And sometimes these people are looking in some random city like waco.. and she wants a victorian, and he wants a tudor. I saw one where she wanted a loft in the city, he wanted a colonial in the country..

WTF? If I were that realtor, I'd say hash it out and call me when you decide on a style and location of a home. It's so obvious that this 'drama' is manufactured into this show now. They walk up to the loft in the city, and the husband says, 'now this isn't the colonial in the country I'm looking for'.
No *****

I've even seen this on tiny house hunters.. really you want a victorian style trailer home? Get real.

I've watched house hunters for the better part of 15 years, and this is definitely a new trend, maybe a few years old.

HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
House Hunters started really pushing that because they wanted more "friendly conflict" within the couples. In some cases it's pretty much fabricated when they want differing styles.

The show is great, but you have to understand that reality television is not exactly reality. I've been on the show a couple of times. It's pretty much real, but there is definitely some coaching so that differences are made to stand out. Also....they don't film anything until the buyer closes on a home....when they tour the home they buy, they've already purchased it. The scene is representative of how the first tour went. The other two homes may or may not be homes that were actually considered, but they are representative of the types of homes that were considered.

Cody

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
gvine07
AG
My wife and I were on one of those shows. None of it was real. We filmed looking at the house after it was under contract, but the lighting was bad so we had to do it again.

We "looked at our house for the first time" after we lived in it for 3 months. A floor mat in the kitchen had our last name and you could see our Texas A&M diplomas on the wall. All of the furniture was ours, including the gift that they gave us (they covered the dining room table -the gift- and chairs with a table cloth).

Whenever people say things like "I can definitely see myself living here" or "wow, these people have really good taste..." that means they are probably living there.
62strat
AG
Them already owning the house is pretty well known at this point. That was one of the first leaks of the show. I've even read as much as them touring houses that aren't even for sale, like friend's houses.

I just think it's odd that all of a sudden, not only do people know all these different styles of homes, but they are adamant about owning a particular style.

For both of our house hunts, we wanted x bedrooms, x bathrooms, etc..

We didn't walk up to a realtor and say, 'we want a Tudor'.
NoahAg
Not to derail, but I really like the ones in San Francisco or suburban D.C.: "We want a 2 bed, 1 bath Craftsman, around 1,300', and our budget is $750,000."

And the buyers are 25 year olds. One's a freelance writer of some kind, and the other is finishing a masters in art history.
p_bubel
NoahAg said:

Not to derail, but I really like the ones in San Francisco or suburban D.C.: "We want a 2 bed, 1 bath Craftsman, around 1,300', and our budget is $750,000."

And the buyers are 25 year olds. One's a freelance writer of some kind, and the other is finishing a masters in art history.
Yeah, those are my favorites.
DriftwoodAg
AG
The episode last night was the worst. My wife almost lost it when she heard the wife say she was a "stay at home pet mom"
ChoppinDs40
AG
We are currently undergoing the greatest transfer of generational wealth in history.

The yuppies buying $1m homes are getting $400k from parents.

I have a buddy at work that lives in HP in a 1.3m home. He and his wife make no more than 160k combined. That's barely enough income to cover property taxes on a home like that.
dreyOO
Or the international renters. 2 bed, in city center, charming character for her and modern conveniences for him. Close to work which is nowhere close to city center. Budget of $700/mo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.