I run a small tech business that has been working primarily with real estate brokerages at this point. I woke up yesterday thinking that I might have the wrong type of customer so now I'm trying to learn more about the business models of larger property management type companies to see if there is anything we currently do that might be relevant to them.

If anyone knows someone or could point me in the direction of someone who wouldn't mind answering a few questions on this topic it would be much appreciated. I have questions like,

- do these large property managers own the properties they manage or only manage them (or some of both)?
- if they are only managing then how do they earn a profit? A % of rent or just a monthly fee or something else?
- who is responsible for the leasing and who decides on specials/deals etc... If managers are responsible for the leasing do they have the authority to also set prices on the units themselves?
- how do they organize their properties. Are their management teams assigned to all the properties or are there regional teams responsible for multiple properties?

My partner and I are both engineers so we know much less about this than we should. Thanks in advance