Real Estate
Sponsored by

Accurate square footage for house

1,400 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jmazz
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Appraisal district number is 130 feet higher than last bank appraisal done on house. Obviously makes a pretty big value swing when prices are $150 square foot. Which one wins?
gvine07
AG
If you're the buyer, the lower number. If you're the seller, the higher one.
leanderag82
AG
Just be careful you don't misrepresent your square footage. Appraisal district are not the most accurate source.
p_bubel
aggiefan2002 said:

Appraisal district number is 130 feet higher than last bank appraisal done on house. Obviously makes a pretty big value swing when prices are $150 square foot. Which one wins?
Take the appraisal sketch to the county and get your taxes lowered.
mazag08
AG
The appraiser actually measured the house.

The county threw a bunch of random numbers in a hat and picked one.
jmazz
AG
Appraisal district typically measures the exterior and deducts garage/patio/etc. Appraiser's measurement is done on the inside. It's not terribly uncommon for there to be 3 different measurements/square footages on houses...builder plans, appraiser's sketch, CAD record. If selling, you just need to have something to back up your 'claim' if it's different than CAD. If CAD has a smaller size than the others...best to do nothing b/c you're paying taxes on less than what you actually have. If CAD is larger than what you actually have then you're paying too much in taxes so I'd work with CAD to get it lowered.
aggiefan2002
I actually don't want it lowered on CAD records because I want to sell the house in the next 18 months.
SteveBott
AG
2002 you are waisting money. The future buyer will have an appraiser measure the home to reflect accurate size.
aggie appraiser
jmazz said:

Appraisal district typically measures the exterior and deducts garage/patio/etc. Appraiser's measurement is done on the inside. It's not terribly uncommon for there to be 3 different measurements/square footages on houses...builder plans, appraiser's sketch, CAD record.
No, appraiser's don't "measure the inside". We measure the exterior. The upstairs is sometimes measured from the inside, but the exterior walls are added manually when necessary.

The only measurement done on the inside is for condos. The reason for the difference is that condo owners do not own the exterior walls.
aggie appraiser
aggiefan2002 said:

I actually don't want it lowered on CAD records because I want to sell the house in the next 18 months.
Since you know, you wouldn't want to be fraudulent.
jmazz
AG
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.