Real Estate
Sponsored by

Thoughts on my listing?

5,474 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Seven Costanza
Harman Rabb Jr.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any comments (either good or bad) on my listing:

http://www.har.com/1254-Utah/sale_46369805
Bassmaster
AG
Why do you only have 7 pictures?
MAS444
AG
Ditto above. Also, add descriptions with the pictures.
aviationag
AG
Agree on the pictures and captions - also if you have a nice view out the front and/or back, include those. Also, entryway - what do you see on entering?
Señor Chang
AG
It may have just been my phone, but the pictures looked really low resolution.
East Dallas Ag
AG
I assume you are asking because your listing isnt selling, so herr is my constructive criticism: How much trouble would it be to make all of that faux finishing go away? Not to offend, but it's really out of style with today's buyers, as is the overall earth tone color scheme. I get that it is in line with the exterior style, but it does give the interior a dated finish. Looks like you've already reduced $30k, might be worth looking at what it would cost to freshen up the interior, and you could possibly relist at a higher price to recoup some of the expense.
ChoppinDs40
AG
How do you get inside that home?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Agreed, looked like you were walking into Spartacus.
Crazy. My sister walked your listing back in December and I will be touring your it with a client later this week. After I see it in person I'll give you some feedback.
94chem
Add more pictures.

It appears you haven't been fighting the property taxes. I would point this out to my agent when putting together my lowball offer.

I'm not used to seeing the lot square footage given more importance than the home square footage. I had been looking at your listing for 3 minutes before I realized the home was 2000, not 1500, sq ft.
Diggity
AG
Quote:

It appears you haven't been fighting the property taxes. I would point this out to my agent when putting together my lowball offer.
histag10
AG
maybe its the way its photographed, but that kitchen looks teensy. Like studio apartment kitchen teensy. At this point, i'm not sure it has a sink....
powerbiscuit
It looks nice an clean to me and I wouldn't say it looks dated at all.

I have no idea where you sit on pricing.
ktownag08
AG
The entire place is super brown.

Is your realtor new or lazy? Add more pics! I can browse hundreds of homes online and ones with just a few pics never make my list to visit. If I can't get a good idea of the place online, I won't waste my time visiting in person.

It's worth repeating so I will. The entire place just feels super brown. Some staging that brings other colors into the space can help with this.

I do really like the wood floors, but fresh non-beige or non-faux paint would do wonders as others have said.

Best of luck!

The Fife
We had another thread on here where someone had a super Mediterranean style place that also looked pretty much untouched since that craze was really big in the mid-2000s. When he had the place painted the offers finally started coming in. I would start with that.

Also, how are you supposed to get in the place? Where's the door?
94chem
Buyers need to be led around like infants. My home was overbuilt, so I split the difference between the value of a home that size and the value of typical homes in the neighborhood. Dozens of visitors, no offers. Lowered the price $5K to go under a "magic" amount, and got a list offer within 3 days. Amazing - any one of those potential buyers could have offered $5K less at any time, and likely would have gotten it. They don't do the right value calculations, they are afraid of offending the seller, they have poor realtors who don't coach them...whatever the reason, real estate exposes the illogical and irrational psychology of business and economics.

Suck it up and paint!
histag10
AG
94chem said:

Buyers need to be led around like infants. My home was overbuilt, so I split the difference between the value of a home that size and the value of typical homes in the neighborhood. Dozens of visitors, no offers. Lowered the price $5K to go under a "magic" amount, and got a list offer within 3 days. Amazing - any one of those potential buyers could have offered $5K less at any time, and likely would have gotten it. They don't do the right value calculations, they are afraid of offending the seller, they have poor realtors who don't coach them...whatever the reason, real estate exposes the illogical and irrational psychology of business and economics.

Suck it up and paint!

Part of that may be buyers searching within a specific range of prices, and your property never showed up while listed above. Honestly, thats how it was with our house. Had a number we wanted to stay under, and didnt think to include higher in our search. once we did this, we found our house and lowballed the hell out of the offer and got it for 20k less than asking.
DallasAggie0
94chem said:

Buyers need to be led around like infants. My home was overbuilt, so I split the difference between the value of a home that size and the value of typical homes in the neighborhood. Dozens of visitors, no offers. Lowered the price $5K to go under a "magic" amount, and got a list offer within 3 days. Amazing - any one of those potential buyers could have offered $5K less at any time, and likely would have gotten it. They don't do the right value calculations, they are afraid of offending the seller, they have poor realtors who don't coach them...whatever the reason, residential real estate exposes the illogical and irrational psychology of business and economics.

Suck it up and paint!
Most realtors are lazy. and fify
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Is that tile above the mantle and around the walls of the kitchen french doors? Or are the walls just painted to look like tiles?

You need to a take a few gallons of agreeable grey to every wall in your living room/kitchen/family room.
ChoppinDs40
AG
the first picture looks bad.

Take from a different angle where you can't see that damn power pole and crappy fence.

I think that will also show your front door, which seems to not exist in these pictures.

Put a picture of the big walk-in shower. Bachelors love to bang their Washington ave wh0res in those.
94chem
Quote:

Part of that may be buyers searching within a specific range of prices, and your property never showed up while listed above.
Excellent point...but we did still have significant traffic...but could have had more.

Also, my new home has 100 less square feet than we set up in our search. However, the lot is 1.2 acres, had a 3 car garage, huge driveway...the searches can be too monolithic. It's what happens when computers handle too much.
94chem
OP,
Change your square footage from 1998 to 2001, given the above posts. See what happens. People may have their searches set up for 2000 square feet.
histag10
AG
ha yeah. Our house was listed at 2407 sq foot because they counted the basement in that, while it was actually only 1980ish sqft of livable footage. We didnt focus in on that though when we were looking
OP,

I toured your listing yesterday with a client and left you very honest feedback just now. I'm being truthful with you because I want you to sell your place. Like others have said, I would add more pictures on HAR and definitely stage it. I also spoke with a neighbor who suggested that you should do more open house showings with your agent on site. If you want pricing feedback, I'm happy to give that to you off-line.

Good luck!
Harman Rabb Jr.

Please provide your contact information as I would like to hear the rest of your thoughts.
Diggity
AG
I'm really amazed that Heidi only posted seven pics for your property.
ATM9000
AG
Looking at your list price vs. just the ones near you... I'd say you are definitely still priced on the fat side by a little bit.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I don't know prices and Houston neighborhoods and square footage and things like that, but I can comment a little on the photos and how I would have gone about shooting your house. Most of the problems come down to composition. Warning: potentially boring photography talk ahead.

1. I'm not a believer in the idea that more photos = better listing, but 7 photos is not nearly enough for this one. From what I can tell about the floor plan, you need 12-15 total.

2. The front exterior is the most important shot, and that one isn't doing you any favors. As previously mentioned, my eyes are drawn to the left side of the image, which shows all the wrong features, and I can't tell where the front door is. Take five steps to the left and shoot another one angled back to the right. Then take another one, tighter. A detail shot of the front door will show where it's located relative to the garage. It's important to get potential buyers to imagine what it's like to live in the house, and now you've shown them where to enter.

3. Without furniture or basic staging, it's even more important to focus on the kitchen, master bath, and fireplace. Big sweeping shots won't get it done. Using a wide angle lens for interiors is a double-edged sword. You may feature (exaggerate) the size of the room, but you also de-emphasize the interesting parts that people care about. For instance:

• The kitchen is shown in three images, but two of them make it seem really small (the wide lens pushes the middle area farther away) and the other doesn't tell us enough about the quality of the space. The shot we're looking for is from the right side of those bar stools, but we need to get in there tighter and show the stove, cabinets, microwave, and backsplash. You've already shown people where the kitchen is, now show them what it's like to cook in it.
  • There's a good view of the fireplace, but we missed the angle and we aren't close enough to see the detail around it. We need to be two steps to the right and a little tighter to show the fireplace and the view straight through to the dining area past the stairs.
  • The bathroom shot isn't terrible, but we could have shown more detail if we didn't try to include everything in one shot. It's a good job of showing the layout, but we may be leaving out important stuff. Is that a walk-in shower with a bench on the left? That's a missed opportunity. It's not always necessary to get two shots from a single bathroom, but an argument can be made for up to three here.
4. Little things. There's at least one light burned out in every photo. There are four of them burned out in a single image that could have been one of the hero shots. Photoshop them "on" or hit the switch and turn them all "off". It seems like such a minor detail, but it's a mental thing. Fair or not, it gives a negative vibe as to how well the house is maintained. When viewing online, most people aren't buying this type of home based on the photos - they're finding reasons to eliminate the home to narrow their search. Don't give them a silly reason to eliminate yours before they visit.

5. It's a 3/3.5 - where are the rest of the rooms? I don't like descriptions on my images, but they might help here. I'm assuming the biggest room is the master bedroom. Or is it the smaller room with the balcony? For a big fancy estate with a lot of character, you can get away with omitting little rooms and focusing on the good stuff. But for 2,000sf, shoot everything. It won't take long. There's a dining area with a nice light fixture and curtains, and we didn't shoot it at all.

6. It's a three story building - you need an elevated shot. Google shows three balconies across the street, and the first one is the right height but the wrong angle (see point #2). The shot you want is from the front of the little blue house. It doesn't have to be too high - a ladder would work. I'd use a 12' painters pole.

7. There have been numerous comments about the color. I'm assuming it looks much better in person than it does in the photos. It looks like the photographer used some variety of blending here - either HDR or exposure fusion or whatever the case may be. The problem with that technique is that it tends to make things muddy (dull) and flat. I guess that's ok from time to time, but in this case, the home is predominantly brown and beige. Not exactly the best colors to make muddy and flat.

The floors look good. I like the wall texture on the main level. The stairs are nice. Looks like a decent stove. There's plenty to work with in the master bathroom. But we didn't feature any of that stuff. Instead, we took wide shots with flat lighting and colors that made the whole place seem rather... boring.

I hope it sells quickly, but in the event that things don't go as planned, if it's still listed the next time I'm in Houston, I'll reshoot it for free. Should be about 12 images total. I don't know my exact shooting schedule over the next month, but if there's an open weekend and I can make the trip, I'll check back here and let you know.
MAS444
AG
That's a solid post right there.
Harman Rabb Jr.
I wanted to thank everyone for your comments. We are going to take the listing off the market to make some updates, and hope to have a new listing within the next two weeks.

Gramercy Riffs - Thank you for your insight and your offer. I really appreciate it.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I'll be shooting in Crystal Beach this weekend and will drive back through Houston on my way home Sunday morning. If you're available sometime before 11am and still need pics, I'll be there. I know that's a small window, but I need to get back home and process the images from Saturday to deliver to clients.

Let me know what you think and I'll check back here before I drive home. I'd be happy to help.
Harman Rabb Jr.
Gramercy Riffs - Sorry, I just checked back in on this thread. Again, I really appreciate your offer.

Everyone else: We are back on the market after implementing many of the changes recommended here. Here is the updated listing:

http://www.har.com/1254-utah/sale_57152484
ChoppinDs40
AG
gotta change that first picture.

There's a rickety fence on the left and power poles and the right has a car with a trash can?

Step to the left and take a pic at an angle showing the front door.

I still think you should have more than 10 pics showing bathrooms and all rooms.

Paint and furniture do make it look a lot better.
histag10
AG
Still sad for the kitchen pictures. And bath.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

The front exterior is the most important shot, and that one isn't doing you any favors. As previously mentioned, my eyes are drawn to the left side of the image, which shows all the wrong features, and I can't tell where the front door is. Take five steps to the left and shoot another one angled back to the right. Then take another one, tighter. A detail shot of the front door will show where it's located relative to the garage. It's important to get potential buyers to imagine what it's like to live in the house, and now you've shown them where to enter.
^ why not do this?

I still can't tell where the front door is...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.