Real Estate
Sponsored by

New Home Inspection

2,853 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JimDandy
JimDandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Do you recommend getting an inspection on a new home?

My son is purchasing a new build. In an effort to put most of his cash in the down payment, he asked me if I would get an inspection on the house. He thinks not as it is a brand new build. I do not know as I have never purchased new. Thanks.
TXAGFAN
AG
Would definitely get an inspection. My mother purchased a new construction home and inspector found a couple things we would have noticed later, but much easier to get fixed prior to closing. Hysterically one of them was a screwup in the stairs and they were not evenly spaced requiring them to take out the entire steps and replace.

Ask him if he would read online reviews when buying an electronic? That's basically what an inspection is for your house and almost certainly the biggest purchase he's ever made. It's not uncommon to have multiple inspections during the building of a home.
AggiePlaya
AG
Worth the $400-500 to get one. It gives you leverage should there be any issues. Otherwise the builder may screw you if the warranty period is over.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Yes, absolutely.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
The Fife
JimDandy said:

Do you recommend getting an inspection on a new home?

My son is purchasing a new build. In an effort to put most of his cash in the down payment, he asked me if I would get an inspection on the house. He thinks not as it is a brand new build. I do not know as I have never purchased new. Thanks.
This is definitely his first rodeo. Of course you should get one, the home improvement board is full of threads with people bringing up questions about problems that probably date back to when the place was built.
ww
AG
Also, get an inspection ~10-11 months after the house has been lived in, prior to the 1 year builder's warranty running out. We opted not to get an inspection prior to move-in, but got one prior to the 1 year. It didn't catch anything major, nor prompted any need for repairs, but it was a good safe-guard. (It ended up catching a non-issue with the chimney, and it allowed us to get an official letter from the sub-contractor stating that it was not an issue. This was good for when we sold the house, which we did a few years later.)
Lonestar06
I am in the process of starting a home inspection business and would recommend even on a new home. It should be able to tell him if any corners were cut because the contractor was in a hurry or it was Friday and 5:00 was closing in. If the home is being built it will be a four part inspection that will cover every step of the construction process. If it's already built the inspector can only judge what he sees. Hope that helps.
Diggity
AG
Not a bad idea to get a follow up inspection before the warranty runs out but I also recommend getting one before the closing. Builders have a lot more incentive to take care of things when there's still money on the line.

A lot of inspectors will give you a discount on the follow up as well.
p_bubel
My buddy's new home never had the insulation installed in the attic, an inspection would have caught that.
The Fife
KB Homes didn't bother to roof the entire house next door to the one the in-laws lived in. It took them 3 or 4 months, but somebody finally noticed. The part they forgot was some small area that bumps out on a second floor so it's not like something huge.
AnchorFoundation
As a foundation repairman I'd also recommend paying for a report from a licensed structural engineer that includes elevation of home with contour lines. Might never be needed, but could make all the difference in the world when it's time to sell down the road.
Garrelli 5000
AG
There's no way that I would purchase a house without an inspection. New doesn't mean flawless.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Diggity said:

Not a bad idea to get a follow up inspection before the warranty runs out but I also recommend getting one before the closing. Builders have a lot more incentive to take care of things when there's still money on the line.

A lot of inspectors will give you a discount on the follow up as well.
This too. I made sure they used infrared cameras to confirm there was no moisture behind shower walls, at the floor, etc. Small leaks will show themselves after a year, but you may have no idea there's moisture building up, slowly rotting your home from within the walls.
Absolute
AG
Absolutely yes! Especially in this busy market where quality control is declining. You would be stunned at the things I find on new construction and one year Inspections.

I would be happy to help him if he is in the Dallas side of the metroplex.
TXAGFAN
AG
Absolute is top notch. He found the items I mentioned above in my mothers house.
GunRangeGal
AG
I used to work for a builder... and YES, get an inspection. Even if they are a reputable builder, things happen. Unlike a re-sale, you can usually get stuff fixed, too!
The Fife
Absolute said:

Absolutely yes! Especially in this busy market where quality control is declining. You would be stunned at the things I find on new construction and one year Inspections.

The market right now is frustrating but buyers can be too. A friend bought a flip in progress and I pointed out a few things that needed to be taken care of. Some small (can lights nowhere near even with each other, very bad tile work in the kitchen), some big (25' run of 3" flex duct from the cheapest bathroom fart fan made, bad floor joist attachment/size/span, zero waterproofing whatsoever in an upstairs shower). The builder had some excuse for all of it. Here we are two years later, and all of those things have gone to crap.
JimDandy
Thanks for all the great feedback/encouragement. Junior is getting the inspection done. A re-inspect at 11 months is also golden feedback.

Much appreciated all. Will post if there are any interesting finds.
mwp02ag
AG
The Fife said:

Absolute said:

The market right now is frustrating but buyers can be too. A friend bought a flip in progress and I pointed out a few things that needed to be taken care of. Some small (can lights nowhere near even with each other, very bad tile work in the kitchen), some big (25' run of 3" flex duct from the cheapest bathroom fart fan made, bad floor joist attachment/size/span, zero waterproofing whatsoever in an upstairs shower). The builder had some excuse for all of it. Here we are two years later, and all of those things have gone to crap.

I was a project manager for two builders in the San Antonio market before I wised up and earned my TREC Real Estate Inspector license. I've inspected many a flip, and as a real estate investor with a giant remodel going right now, it pains me how much **** work people will put their name on. Some of it's ignorance, most of it are plain old short cuts...

Always get the inspection, even new construction, as stated above I inspect more new builds that I find multiple deficiencies on than I do tight homes.
SoTheySay
S
I'm not sure I've ever NOT had something pretty important come up. I've seen the missed insulation, had a large section of the roof have to come off, missed siding...
p_bubel
mwp02ag said:

The Fife said:

Absolute said:

I was a project manager for two builders in the San Antonio market before I wised up and earned my TREC Real Estate Inspector license. I've inspected many a flip, and as a real estate investor with a giant remodel going right now, it pains me how much **** work people will put their name on. Some of it's ignorance, most of it are plain old short cuts...

Always get the inspection, even new construction, as stated above I inspect more new builds that I find multiple deficiencies on than I do tight homes.
Are you still inspecting in the San Antonio market? I get asked for referrals all the time and have no one.
East Dallas Ag
AG
I was in a continuing education class this morning with the VP of Sales for a home builder here in DFW, he said there's no way he would buy a new home right now without a 3rd party inspection. He recommended one at framing/pre-drywall and final.

Also, the home builders are making it harder on buyers to get the inspections by requiring very high levels of insurance from the inspector in order to be allowed to do the inspection, above and beyond industry requirements.
Absolute
AG

Quote:

Also, the home builders are making it harder on buyers to get the inspections by requiring very high levels of insurance from the inspector in order to be allowed to do the inspection, above and beyond industry requirements.

I have only run into two around here doing that,Meritage and Cal Atlantic (standard Pacific was doing it before the merger.)

They also put in some restrictions on Inspections. Then they make a big deal about their representative being present, but I have NEVER had one be there. It is an obvious attempt at discourageing a third party inspection.
mwp02ag
AG
Absolutely still inspecting and any referrals would be greatly appreciated. My email is goodguysinspections@gmail.com shoot me an email and I'll get back in touch.
leanderag82
AG
As a homebuilder, we welcome 3rd party inspections. My philosophy is another set of eyes is not a bad idea anytime. Keep in mind, most of the 3rd party inspectors are used to evaluating re-sell homes, so (as a builder) we have to sort thru some of the items and clarify the codes with the buyer. It seems sometimes the 3rd party inspectors interpretation is different from certain cities requirements.
leanderag82
AG
Our only requirement is that the 3rd party inspector be a licensed by state of Texas.
Absolute
AG
leanderag82 said:

Our only requirement is that the 3rd party inspector be a licensed by state of Texas.

That is what most seem to have as well. And I absolutely agree about the third set of eyes. It can and should be beneficial for everyone. Unfortunately, I know some inspectors have chips on their shoulders against builders, just like some builders have bad attitudes about Inspections. Which is unfortunate for everyone.
montanagriz
S
My wife and i are buying a new build and I am glad we paid for an inspector. It is worth the money and peace of mind. We had some issues but the builder is going to fix everything. We also are going to have it reinspected after builder is done with repairs.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Does anyone have a recommendation for a thorough inspector in the Houston area? Our realtor's main go-to isn't available and we would really like to have the inspection done Friday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Absolute
AG
Chuck Evans is good.
JimDandy
UPDATE: Son got the inspection. Inspector took 2.5 hours to complete the inspection and 30 minutes to explain his findings. Everything was up to code, found NO deficiencies, and even confirmed there is insulation in the attic. Inspector remarked that it was the best new build he has ever inspected. Junior plans reinspect in 11 months. THANKS TEXAGS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.