Real Estate
Sponsored by

Real Estate Investing Group

1,776 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Agilaw
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hypothetical questions:

Let's say you have 10 people interested in rental property investment. Each have some experience in the market, but no more than 1 or 2 properties a piece. The person's are not related and in fact not everyone knows every one else. Not one person in the group has a strong relationship with anyone. Each person has $100,000 they would like to invest in the group. The primary goal would be to buy cash flow positive rental properties using financing and leverage the group buying power when it came to management, transaction fees and maintenance. The properties would be owned by the group, company or organization. Returns would be reinvested into additional properties for a term of 15 years. After 15 years, returns would be paid to the group in some form.

What business structure would you recommend?

What specific terms would you suggest in the agreement among parties? (I know you aren't lawyer or at least aren't acting as one on TexAgs)

Other than an accountant, lawyer, and real estate agent, are there other knowledge workers you would employ?

What are the biggest hurdles and pitfalls do you see?
CS78
No way the benefit outweighs the extra work and drama. One or two people would do all the work. One person would die next year. Three would get divorced and have to liquidate. One would get in financial trouble and at best pull out.

Take your $100k and finance a few properties at good prices, refi them in a couple years if you want more.
dallasiteinsa02
The biggest hurdle is going to be when someone wants out. I wouldn't recommend that you pool the assets. If you want to jointly negotiate for management and other costs that can still be done as a pool.
tamutaylor12
I wont even pool resources with my only brother because I don't 100% trust his wife with a portion of my retirement, which any investment would impact. Unless you can say that you 100% trust every partner, their spouse, or their future spouse who they may not even know yet, I would be out. I love the idea on paper but the human element kills it.
Business Time
AG
The term you are looking at is real estate syndication. You need to talk to an attorney experienced with those, who will draft the operating agreement and let you know if a private placement memorandum is needed. The operating agreement will help protect you from the risk of an investor needing the money because of divorce. Usually those funds have 5 year horizons. With $1,000,000 on hand you can leverage into NNN properties or apartments but those are making less sense now.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The idea would be that one or two people would do all the work and the rest would be more passive investors.

Could you not handle exit, death and spousal provisions through a contractual clause or business structure?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Thanks the term "real estate syndication" led me to a wealth of information.
voorheesdn
AG
I would be looking commercial investment with that kind of investment. An LLC would probabaly be sufficient as far as formation is concerned but probably worth asking whatever attorney you hire.

I am in a similar situation currently and would be happy to discuss with you how we structure things. Let me know if you want to jump on a call sometime to compare notes. david@voorheesteam.com
Business Time
AG
I'm glad that helped. Is your group full of accredited investors? Feel free to email me at info@maroonspiderllc.com, we're looking at some commercial properties.
AggieRAGE
AG
What type of commercial properties?
voorheesdn
AG
Let me know if I can be of help. Working on a NNN deal for about $3.8mil and just had a great one at $8.4mil come across the desk. Some nice cap rates over 7-8%.
BearJew13
AG
I would suggest creating a single-purpose entity, probably an LP assuming you're investing in Texas, for each individual property. Invest the money in the LP, and have the LLC be the GP for each LP. Keep all the money and returns in the LP where the liability is minimized, and control the property through the GP. You're essentially syndicating each deal, and liability of each deal does not extend beyond itself to the other investments. The most important part will be working out the partnership agreement in the LLC.

I'll reaffirm that 15 years is much too long. 5 year horizon is more of a market time period.

All that said, the best advice I can give is find a good RE attorney!!
Agilaw
AG
Would lean more towards Multiple LLCs (multiple company structure - which costs more) or the Texas Series LLC (which achieves asset protection and $ savings at same time).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.