Real Estate
Sponsored by

Hard Money Loans

2,327 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jay@AgsReward.com
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When is it better to go the hard money route vs the conventional route? Is it purely based on not having the ability to pay a full down payment or having bad credit on a conventional loan?

I have a friend that is convinced it's a no lose scenario to go the ARV hard money route for a potential flip. I don't know enough details to inform him either way. He's pre-approved for $250,000, has enough for a 30k down payment if he went conventional, and had great credit. I believe the property he is aiming for would be in the $150,000 to $200,000 range.

Anyone with experience?
Nobody is going to give you hard money to finance a personal residence. Tell me if I'm misunderstanding the question/goal of your buddy.
mazag08
AG
26.2 said:

Nobody is going to give you hard money to finance a personal residence. Tell me if I'm misunderstanding the question/goal of your buddy.

Misunderstanding. He's buying a home to repair it and either flip it or rent it out.
histag10
AG
wouldnt it still be a bad idea if you are just going to rent it out?

Honestly, I thought a hard money loan was basically if you are going to buy/flip a house, cant pay cash, and plan on selling it before the pre-payment penalty phase of a conventional mortgage expired.
mazag08
AG
That's what I thought as well. The advice he received told him to do the hard money up front since it is loaned on the ARV, then refinance conventional after the remodel.

Sounds proposterous to me, but I just don't have the experience or knowledge to offer against it.
SteveBott
AG
ARV? At remodeled value?
tford12
AG
SteveBott said:

ARV? At remodeled value?
After Repair Value
tford12
AG
mazag08 said:

When is it better to go the hard money route vs the conventional route? Is it purely based on not having the ability to pay a full down payment or having bad credit on a conventional loan?

I have a friend that is convinced it's a no lose scenario to go the ARV hard money route for a potential flip. I don't know enough details to inform him either way. He's pre-approved for $250,000, has enough for a 30k down payment if he went conventional, and had great credit. I believe the property he is aiming for would be in the $150,000 to $200,000 range.

Anyone with experience?
Only do a hard money loan if you know you can pay off the loan relatively quickly.
But I wouldnt do hard money unless I could not get conventional financing (might not be available for a distressed property).
SteveBott
AG
You need 20% down plus cash for repair for conventional so if he does not have that much money go hard money at ARV.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Another factor is the condition of the property. Many times flip type houses are not in a condition to go conventional, especially if there are foundation issues.

While I have not encountered it personally I have heard in this crazy RE market of existing homeowners using hard money to buy their next home to avoid having to make a contingent offer, which are next to impossible to get accepted. Often the offer is presented as cash, when in reality there is financing, it just may be already approved. Then they conventionally refi after they sell their existing home to pay off the hard money.
jmazz
AG
mazag...email or call me. I've been involved in hard money since 2006...both as a borrower and now lender. Pros/cons to each scenario but the first few houses I personally purchased were through hard money. Basic scenario...

ARV: $100k
Purchase: $50k
Rehab: $20k

Conventional: Loans up to 80% of purchase...$40k loan. Borrower needs $10k down plus $20k for repairs plus closing costs, holding costs, etc. There's a chance to get some kind of 'construction' loan where repair money is escrowed but would still need some skin in the game to get going. Also have to personally/financially get approved for the loan based more on the 'conventional' qualification process.

Hard money: Loans up to 70% of the ARV...$70k loan. Escrows the $20k repair money to be released in draws. At closing, borrower only needs to come up with out of pocket closing costs (origination, title company fees, etc). With the property tax credit from seller the amount due from buyer could be slim to none. This is about as close to 100% financing as you can get. Not much, if any, personal/financial qualification...it's more about the property. Not saying if you can fog a mirror you can get a loan but the qualification process is nowhere near what it is for conventional.

A few other points...conventional might take the typical 30-45 days to close. Hard money...24-48 hours is possible. I'm funding a loan tomorrow for a call I got today. (That's going to be a 'transactional funding' loan so a little different than hard money but similar concept.)

Give me a shout.

*Very basic terms/details in this post. Some hard money lenders might require some 'skin in the game.' Hard money isn't institutional so it can be completely up to the lender how they structure things. I also funded a loan in December for a great, repeat borrower. I think it was loan #10 for them. They walked from closing, as the buyer, with a 5 figure check.
SteveBott
AG
jmazz posted a better example then me. Keep in mind you may have two closings and costs instead of one deal if he decided to hold the property. jmazz may offer a better deal then I've seen but HM usually wants two points up front and 12% rate.

jmazz get a star so folks can PM you.
jmazz
AG
I know mazag...we're already texting.

What do I have to do to get a 'star?' Pay TexAgs?
SteveBott
AG
Pay TA 6 bucks a month. You get PM or DM as Twitter calls it. Also Aggie Only which is a good forum but slow compared to other forums.
jmazz
AG
Done! Star should be added.
SteveBott
AG
Looks cool. Bonus you get a few more emoticons
mazag08
AG
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

Jmazz, I starred your post
PhatMack19
AG
jmazz said:

mazag...email or call me. I've been involved in hard money since 2006...both as a borrower and now lender. Pros/cons to each scenario but the first few houses I personally purchased were through hard money. Basic scenario...

ARV: $100k
Purchase: $50k
Rehab: $20k

Conventional: Loans up to 80% of purchase...$40k loan. Borrower needs $10k down plus $20k for repairs plus closing costs, holding costs, etc. There's a chance to get some kind of 'construction' loan where repair money is escrowed but would still need some skin in the game to get going. Also have to personally/financially get approved for the loan based more on the 'conventional' qualification process.

Hard money: Loans up to 70% of the ARV...$70k loan. Escrows the $20k repair money to be released in draws. At closing, borrower only needs to come up with out of pocket closing costs (origination, title company fees, etc). With the property tax credit from seller the amount due from buyer could be slim to none. This is about as close to 100% financing as you can get. Not much, if any, personal/financial qualification...it's more about the property. Not saying if you can fog a mirror you can get a loan but the qualification process is nowhere near what it is for conventional.

A few other points...conventional might take the typical 30-45 days to close. Hard money...24-48 hours is possible. I'm funding a loan tomorrow for a call I got today. (That's going to be a 'transactional funding' loan so a little different than hard money but similar concept.)

Give me a shout.

*Very basic terms/details in this post. Some hard money lenders might require some 'skin in the game.' Hard money isn't institutional so it can be completely up to the lender how they structure things. I also funded a loan in December for a great, repeat borrower. I think it was loan #10 for them. They walked from closing, as the buyer, with a 5 figure check.

Can you post your email or #? I have a question about a property that I'm looking at. Maybe you can help and I can't PM
jmazz
AG
jeff at 12 realty dot com
281 - eight one four - 0665
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Quote:

While I have not encountered it personally I have heard in this crazy RE market of existing homeowners using hard money to buy their next home to avoid having to make a contingent offer, which are next to impossible to get accepted. Often the offer is presented as cash, when in reality there is financing, it just may be already approved. Then they conventionally refi after they sell their existing home to pay off the hard money.
This would not be a hard money loan as hard money is not used for owner occupied properties dues to homestead laws and ability to repay requirements. This would be a Bridge loan which allows you to more or less access cash from your previous home before selling it. We do this often.

Or, in some cases we make bridge loans for deals that do not quite fit the conventional box but will shortly when a certain requirement is met then refinance into a conventional loan. An example might be that a borrower has gone from W-2 to 1099 for less then a year or two depending, but is doing more or less the same job with the same income. Very common in the medical field. This would not qualify for a conventional loan.

These rates/fees are much lower than hard money loans for investment properties but higher then a conventional loan but designed to be short term.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.