Real Estate
Sponsored by

Moving from city to the country

2,098 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Greeze06
Artorias
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I have decided it is time to move from suburbia out to somewhere with some land. We have 3 children - 10, 7, and 3. Oldest will be starting middle school next year, so we decided it is pretty much now or never.

We are looking for enough acreage to have a few animals (cows, chickens, etc.), with a decent mix of open land and wooded area. Definitely looking for a piece of land with a pond or two on it for fishing.

I assume some on here have done the same? Any wisdom anyone would like to share about making such a move would be appreciated.
OnlyForNow
AG
Where you looking? Dallas, Houston, Austin? Be prepared to spend bookoo bucks on a semi-nice place, less than 15 acres within 1 hour drive of those major metropolitan areas have all gone sky high on prices due to this desire you have.

But good luck on-the-less! Things to keep in mind are property upkeep, among typical house and animal care. Schools do matter for your kids, but if you and your wife both dedicate time to your kids then y'all should be able to help them through any struggles.
Artorias
AG
We are actually looking somewhere around the Lindale/Tyler area, or anywhere within 25 miles of there, as that is where the in-laws live. My folks are going in with us on the land so we can buy some more acreage and setup 2 houses on the land. Looking for something 25-50 acres.

We currently live in Cedar Park (suburb of Austin), and the land anywhere within an hour drive of Austin is pretty pricey.

Schools are definitely an interest point. Some of the rural towns I have seen have some pretty bad school ratings. But with both me and the wife working from home, we should be able to keep a close eye on their academics. Plus I am a bit skeptical of some of these school ratings.
SteveBott
AG
Mugs best of luck. Just had a client move from Houston to nowhere. It will be a struggle to find the right property so be patient. I can do 10-15 acres no problem on financing. Outside is 25 acres you will need farm money.

School district was not my clients concern but should be yours.
tamutaylor12
Maybe something in the country zoned to whitehouse.
Artorias
AG
tamutaylor12 said:

Maybe something in the country zoned to whitehouse.
Whitehouse schools are really highly rated. Thanks for the tip!
SteveBott
AG
Grew up in Tyler in the summers of my youth. Again I'm just mortgage but I'd advise separate deals. Be as untangled as you can on land. Also much easier to finance.
Aggiehunter34
S
mugwurt said:

We are actually looking somewhere around the Lindale/Tyler area, or anywhere within 25 miles of there, as that is where the in-laws live. My folks are going in with us on the land so we can buy some more acreage and setup 2 houses on the land. Looking for something 25-50 acres.

We currently live in Cedar Park (suburb of Austin), and the land anywhere within an hour drive of Austin is pretty pricey.

Schools are definitely an interest point. Some of the rural towns I have seen have some pretty bad school ratings. But with both me and the wife working from home, we should be able to keep a close eye on their academics. Plus I am a bit skeptical of some of these school ratings.

Lindale has great schools
Bill Robbins
AG
Here are two websites that I have found to be useful:

Lands of Texas

Great Schools
Deats99
AG
All I will say about it is do it!!!! We left inside the loop Dallas 18 months ago for 30 miles East of Dallas. Not quite country living, but country enough(looking at cows over the back fence). Your kids are the most important thing you contribute in this life and they will thank you for it.

Steve makes a very good point about keeping it as separate as possible.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
AustinCountyAg
I have relatives that live near Martins Mill.... I hate east tx and think most of it is trash along with all the meth heads in that part of the state. However, if I had to move to that part of the state I'd look there.....when looking for land to buy if it is cheap, or a good deal it is probably because the town is trash. Spend what you have to to ensure you're in a good community
histag10
AG
As far as school ratings- some of the rural schools have poor ratings simply because they don't have the manpower/ knowledge to offer an advanced track in high school. If this is the case, you will need to look at having your kids do classes (for credit) at a college during the summers, or school year if your school is willing to sub the courses on their HS transcript. Kids out of these district that do not take advanced classes in some form end up being I'll prepared for college, and end up having to take remedial courses before. Beginning their degree plan. Taking college courses in HS will also help offset their college costs post HS. I would recommend getting through at least calc1, us and brit lit, composition, economics or statistics, and bio and chem by the end of HS (whether taken through the high school, AP, or college).

Just my $0.02 from working admissions and seeing this happen often. (And growing up in a small rural school district that had phenomenal academics)
OnlyForNow
AG
Who has to take British literature at A&M?
histag10
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I didnt say you had to, I said I would recommend taking it. Its not a necessity at any school (to my knowledge), but it certainly helps develop abstract thinking, learning about classics that are discussed in several other courses, and gives a good base knowledge of literature in general. I suppose "World Literature" would work as well.

And I guess technically its English Lit that i was thinking of, not Brit Lit.
88jrt06
AG
histag10 said:

OnlyForNow said:

I didnt say you had to, I said I would recommend taking it. Its not a necessity at any school (to my knowledge), but it certainly helps develop abstract thinking, learning about classics that are discussed in several other courses, and gives a good base knowledge of literature in general. I suppose "World Literature" would work as well.

And I guess technically its English Lit that i was thinking of, not Brit Lit.
I agree with you. I took it as one of my "free" electives. It was hard as hell, especially the early years.
It was called Brit Lit when I was there, btw. Tough class.
ToddyHill
AG
Due to a new job, we left the DFW Metroplex 7 years ago for Blount County, Tennessee...which is roughly 30 minutes south of Knoxville. Traded in the suburban life style for 5 acres in a town of 2,500 people. Started out by building a home on the land. With the additional room, the kids wanted pets...which became 3 dogs and 4 cats. Then we built a barn, and fenced the pasture. Got a horse but soon discovered he was pretty lonely out there by himself...so we got another. Kept the barn as clean as could be, even kept the feed in closed metal containers. Yet mice soon appeared. Rather than using poison or traps we got two more cats...who 'live' in the barn. Mice problem solved.

A little over a year ago, we were approached by someone who needed to get rid of their three chickens. Against my better judgement, we acquired them. We now have 12 chickens (just got rid of the rooster) and regularly give eggs to friends and neighbors. We free range a couple of them during the day...it cracks me up to see their unique, and different, personalities.

When I'm at the Co-op, buying chicken feed, grain for the horses, or chainsaw supplies, I feel like Oliver Douglas from Green Acres. I'm a fish out of water compared to the locals. Yes, it's a lot of work, and my life is 180 degrees opposite that of living in the Metroplex. But I would not trade any of it.

My suggestions: if you're looking for land, find out if the land is un-restricted, or if restricted, what are the limitations? In our case, we're on restricted land...so we can't have cattle, but we can have sheep, goats, and pigs. Unrestricted is great, but then you could have someone come in and put a trailer park next to you. And of course there's the availability of utilities...water, electric, gas, internet. And then there's the septic tank...which brings its own unique issues.

I would also suggest you legally split the property you and your parents are buying. Recently, an acquaintance of ours lost her house to foreclosure due to her father's debts. Turns out she had great credit, and was current on her debts, but lost her home because it was built on her father's mortgaged property.

Not saying you can't do it, but make sure it's more than a fleeting emotional high. Having grown up in the country, I knew I'd like it. However, the kids prefer the big city...and sometimes complain there's nothing to do (mucking a stall is not something they desire). Fortunately, we do live a short distance to Knoxville...so we haven't given up all the pleasures of a city (though it's a far cry from DFW). My assumption is you'd be in the same boat with your proposed destination.
Post removed:
by user
cadetjay02
AG
Having taught in both rural school and top notch suburban schools heed the following advice.

1. There are some crappy teachers in highly rated schools and there are some great teachers in lower rated schools. However, generally the good teachers tend to flock to districts where they are supported by the admin in the classroom and financially.

2. Bigger districts generally have the ability to create curriculum and train new teachers whereas smaller districts don't. My first year teaching, I was in a small school (about 200 kids in HS) and the curriculum was here is the textbook, have fun.

3. Kids have the biggest impact on their education. I've taught the hell out of dumb kids and they never get it. I've had kids roll in the door smarter than me and they didn't need me at all. Teach your kids to work hard and value what they do and learning will take care of itself regardless of the teacher.

4. The only caveat to number 3 is if your kids are surrounded by idiots then they will assimilate. Make sure there are enough good adults that produce good kids around so your kids can be in that group, not the idiots.

wilhunting
AG
Lindale
Greeze06
AG
Looking to do the same now. Hardest part is finding the land.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.