Real Estate
Sponsored by

Plugged Oil Wells

1,102 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HarleySpoon
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever dealt with plugged oil wells on rural property? If so, are you aware of any building restrictions either regulatory or commercial/lending? Any thoughts on how they might affect the value of a property? Are you aware of any dangers with them in Texas? Any help would be appreciated.
K_P
AG
DANGER

I don't want to alarm you, but these things can be very dangerous if not plugged correctly.

H2S (hydrogen sulfide) is a deadly gas that can come from the well. My brother in law had a near-miss with a well on his property, he stumbled away from the well, luckily his wife saw him and luckily the wind picked up. I've known lots of guys who've been in similar situations on location.

Post a picture from a distance and up wind if you can. Depending on how comfortable you are, you can buy an H2S meter and walk over to it. The meters are cheap.

* Is the well caped on surface?
* Is casing cut below ground level?
* Is the location fully remediated?
* Does the work look good? Are pipes corroded?

Picture is worth a thousand words.
cmiller00
AG
You can look at http://wwwgisp.rrc.texas.gov/GISViewer2/ to get well information including plugging information.
HarleySpoon
AG
Thanks very much guys! Helpful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.