Real Estate
Sponsored by

Harris Co / Houston Property Tax

1,379 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Buck O Five
K_P
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm buying a home in Houston in a couple of weeks. I'll be our first house.

HCAD has the house as a 3/1.5 when it's actually a 3/2. The last tax appraised value is $180k, I'm paying $250k for the house.

• My understanding is that my tax-appraised value will rise to $250k, correct?
  • Should I correct the tax office with the right sq feet and bed/bath arrangement? If they find out later, they could raise it past $250?

Thanks and Gig Em!

aggiemike89
AG
Don't tell them a thing. If they ask what you paid, don't tell them and don't have the baths corrected. It's irrelevant.
mazag08
AG
Yup. It's their business to find out, not yours to help them.
p_bubel
Quote:

No. You don't have to disclose purchase price to the county. But, they do have access to the MLS system. I doubt they look it up.

Quote:

Should I correct the tax office with the right sq feet
When you go to sell the property just make sure your realtor uses the correct SF to price the property. And state in the listing where that SF comes from.

I see places listed at the incorrect SF daily and it's money left on the table in a lot of cases.
K_P
AG
Quote:

Quote:

No. You don't have to disclose purchase price to the county. But, they do have access to the MLS system. I doubt they look it up.

I was thinking they looked it up everytime - guess not.

Is it just me...or are property taxes ridiculously flawed?
thook13
they're not really supposed to chase sales prices, but chances are they'll use your sale and some others to justify raising values in the neighborhood. and no you don't have to turn over your sales price, but again, chances are they'll have it. they have their ways of getting residential sales prices.

i wouldn't bother with the bath count and square footage when it comes to HCAD in your case. like everyone else said, let them figure it out. they could back assess you, but seriously doubt they would on something like this.
aggiepaintrain
AG
having it listed with 1.5 baths and not 2 is helping you, enjoy your discount.
Tyroch07
AG
You certainly don't need to disclose anything. HCAD had the square footage wrong on my property in the heights by 200 feet until they did a their measurements via satellite last year. Enjoy your discount!
Buck O Five
AG
Presley said:

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking they looked it up everytime - guess not.

Is it just me...or are property taxes ridiculously flawed?

Flawed in what way?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.