Real Estate
Sponsored by

Homestead Exemption

1,555 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jokershady
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in Austin. What is the cheapest and easiest way to apply for a homestead exemption? We just bought our house a couple months ago.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
It 100% free. Ignore the solicitations you get after buying a house. They are scams. You go to Travis cad and find the form. Here it is: http://www.traviscad.org/pdf/Forms/HomesteadExemptions/50-114_HomesteadExemptionForm_rev%2011_15_27.pdf

cityagboy
AG
Thanks!!
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
You won't be eligbale until 2017, just make sure it's on your notice when you get it.
Pepper Brooks
AG
What do you do if it isn't? We bought out first house in April and the notice didn't seem to reference it.
aggiebq03+
You have to have lived in the property on Jan 1. So if you purchased any time in 2016, you aren't eligible until 2017 taxes.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

What do you do if it isn't? We bought out first house in April and the notice didn't seem to reference it.

What BQ said

The Texas property tax system has a target appraisal date of Jan 1. If I buy a house in February from an old person then as of Jan 1 my taxes should be calculated on their rate. The next January 1 you are eligible to receive your homestead exemption for that year on out.
jokershady
AG
If the house you bought already had a homestead exemption on it, odds are it should remain there for the same calendar year that you purchased it....unless it was a special exemption if the original homeowner was disabled, a disabled veteran, or over 65.

You'll still need to file for the first full upcoming year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.