Real Estate
Sponsored by

Wood look tile

4,155 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jakelew04
jamey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vote thumbs up or down...or its fine whatever if it's not a deal breaker

Would be interested in any perspectives, plus and minuses. I'm considering it due to lack of maintenance and durability. Looked at it at home depot the other day and thought it looked just as good as other stuff

Vote is my way of considering resale value
jamey
AG
Thumbs up
jamey
AG
Thumbs down
jamey
AG
Whatever, not a deal breaker
The Fife
Voted 'whatever.' The stuff has been around for a while now and I'd seriously consider it vs. engineered if you have a dog over 20lbs or so. Ours is 35 and very active, and even though he didn't scratch the engineered flooring we had he would make little dents in it with his claws. Him not having good traction on the floor didn't exactly help things any either.

If you do it, just make sure to get pieces as long as possible and don't install it in a pattern like normal tile. It looks terrible when done that way.
jopatura
AG
My parents put it in their house. I would absolutely install the right wood look tile in my house.
Martin Q. Blank
Will be out of style soon. Keep that in mind.
DallasAggie2012
AG
We just put it in our house, and we love it. We have a 50 lb dog so that played a factor, but it's also super durable and easy to maintain. We went with a really dark tile that looks great.

The wood look tile is not going anywhere anytime soon. It's being put in all kinds of new houses and people are upgrading to it right and left. When we were looking for houses, the wood look tile was in most all the renovated houses, and it was a major hit with just about every potential buyer.

Just go with simple colors and a grout that matches the tile color with as small of grout lines as possible and you will be very happy. Also, I echo what Fife said in having them lay it down in a random stagger and not a normal offset the whole way through.
Shooter McGavin
AG
I see a lot of houses in my line of work - some really high dollar stuff.

I've seen that tile in a $5mil house. Looks great.

Buddy of mine put it in his house, I love it. Looks good and very durable.

The prior comment that it is going to go out of style - everything does. Everything.
btalking
AG
Recently built a home and were considering it. Our designer strongly discouraged wood look tile, so we went with real wood. We have 2 large dogs and have yet to have issues with the real wood flooring. The kind we purchased was distressed look, which helps.
jamey
AG
btalking said:

Recently built a home and were considering it. Our designer strongly discouraged wood look tile, so we went with real wood. We have 2 large dogs and have yet to have issues with the real wood flooring. The kind we purchased was distressed look, which helps.

Did designer give a reason?
07&09Ag
We have it and love it. Would definitely do it again.

jmazz
AG
I think I'd prefer it over engineered wood at the moment. We have engineered wood and 3.5 year old twins and a ~50lb dog and the engineered wood takes a beating (and shows it). It doesn't take much to scratch it. I 2nd the above post that mentions installing it as if it were wood (as small a grout line as possible, grout that matches tile, random staggered pattern).
jamey
AG
I think that settled it for me.

I have a 11 yr old, 14 year old, a baby due in 6 weeks, and 85 lb dog and a 12 lb dog

And a wife that's probably the biggest destructive force of all
AEP Ag
Agree with those that suggest long tiles with small grout lines. We put something similar in our kitchen/dining area (wanted wood, but didn't want water damage issues). It looks amazing. People do not believe it is tile until they get down and tap on it. Our grout blends in with the color of the tile so you can't even see it.

At the same time, one of my friends put in a wood tile with very bright grout. It looks terrible. Very obvious grout lines with very obvious fake wood. If done wrong you will regret it for a long time.

jamey
AG
How long are long tiles? HD has 24 and 36 inch and I was wondering if 36 would break
QuitTrippin
have it, really like it
The Fife
jamey said:

I think that settled it for me.

I have a 11 yr old, 14 year old, a baby due in 6 weeks, and 85 lb dog and a 12 lb dog

And a wife that's probably the biggest destructive force of all
Your wife might be related to mine :/

FWIW about the designer thing, a lot of them (myself included sometimes) have a hard time seeing past styles they normally work in. Like if someone who likes beach or rustic style asked my advice it would be really tough.
Caliber
AG
The Fife said:

If you do it, just make sure to get pieces as long as possible and don't install it in a pattern like normal tile. It looks terrible when done that way.
This X1000. Install it like wood, not tile. It looks horrible when all the lines match up.
DallasAggie2012
AG
We have 24" tile and it is plenty long. We have friends who put in 36" and it also looks great. I just wouldn't go anything less than 24" honestly. Depending on where you source the tile from, remember that the longer a tile is the harder it will be to keep it straight and flat across its entire length. Even our 24" long tile had some variance too it from tile to tile. The random stagger also helps to hide any sort of bowing or inconsistencies between tiles.
Endo Ag
AG
We just did a bathroom with it. Wood tile on the floor, then a grey barnstyle wood on the shower walls and around the sink. I love the way it looks every time I see it.

We did wood in the majority of the common areas, because I hate walking on tile barefoot.
Deats99
JP76
jamey said:

Vote thumbs up or down...or its fine whatever if it's not a deal breaker

Would be interested in any perspectives, plus and minuses. I'm considering it due to lack of maintenance and durability. Looked at it at home depot the other day and thought it looked just as good as other stuff

Vote is my way of considering resale value

Is this the Marrazi line at Home Depot ?

If so it is a great product.

I installed 1950 ft of this

http://m.homedepot.com/p/MARAZZI-Montagna-Rustic-Bay-6-in-x-24-in-Glazed-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-14-53-sq-ft-case-ULM8/204485224

in a remodel I did earlier this year and it looks great, and is virtually indestructible since it is porcelain.
Make they use modified thinset for large format tile when they lay it to minimize lippage. Also that tile should be installed with a max 1/3 offset from the next. I install it with a 1/8 grout line and a 3/4 trowel.
SoTheySay
S
Not a fan
OnlyForNow
AG
Good stuff
DTAg09
AG
Just flipped a house in SA using about 1,200 sq feet of the HD 36".. big hit, home sold for top dollar in the neighborhood. Highly recommend using a dark grout. Will be using again on my next project.
Jefe07
AG
We just finished the rest of our house with it. Bigger the planks, the better IMO. The small tiles don't look like the size of normal wood floor planks. We went with the 48" long tiles. Make sure you get a good tile installer because that long of a tile can be hard to get level. I agree with the dark grout (black) for dark wood tile. Install it with as thin grout lines as possible. That's also tough to do with the long tiles because they aren't always perfectly straight.
aggiepaintrain
AG
https://imgur.com/a/TiPg3
We like the result
MouthBQ98
AG
I like it. It is supposed to simulate real wood so you install it to look as much like it as possible, with thin spaced colored grout, in an irregular pattern. Very durable, and won't go out of style too much if you stick with a more conventional common wood floor look.

Our dogs systematically destroyed our old engineered wood floor. We went back with laminate because it was cheaper and we were selling, but long term tile is nicer.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Used it in my master bath and walk-in shower and love it. Looks really good, it's durable and affordable and gives a nice country feel. My house is in the country though so it fits the house well.

CS78
I don't care for it. Plenty of great looking modern tiles out there if you want tile. Plenty of manufactured wood like products that are tough if you want wood. Cant help but think it will be one of those things people look back on in 20 years and wonder what were they thinking.
LostInLA07
AG
I'll be thrilled if my floors last 20 years
AlaskanAg99
AG
We installed a ton of it. Darker in nature from AZ tile. Our installer said the variance of HD stuff would make 1/16th grout lines very difficult.

We have 2 german Shepards at 75 & 85lbs. They do not slip on it at all, and they can't destroy it. Which was our big fear with carpet or engineered wood. If it's out of style in 20 years I'll let my future self deal with it. I live in the here and now.
Zemira
AG
I have real wood in my master bedroom and have been wondering about the wood look tile for the bathroom.

Do you think I could make it work or impossible to get it to look right meshing up real wood And the wood look tile?
Endo Ag
AG
Coordinate, don't try to match. Wood will change with time. Tile won't.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.