Real Estate
Sponsored by

Absolutely Stunning Custom Home?

623,759 Views | 4407 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by p_bubel
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a house in my 'hood, - couple of cul de sacs over - that just came on the market this week. SMH - what does one have to do to achieve a picture quality that is that bad?!?

http://www.har.com/67-sandwell-pl/sale_91648710
SECond2noneAgs
AG
Every square inch is covered in random stuff
Ol Jock 99
AG
SECond2noneAgs said:

In less than 4 years.
The Fife
It's going to take them months just to pack everything and move it all out! The bathrooms must be even more of a disaster because none of them are pictured anywhere, and every listing has at least one shot of the master.

I took better pictures with one of these than what their listing agent managed to do.
SoTheySay
S
I bet that house is actually gorgeous!
TXTransplant
SoTheySay said:

I'm sure that it is. I had friends who lived in a house nearby with essentially the same floor plan. The builder is quality and the interiors are finished out nicely. It's a great house in a great neighborhood.
The Fife
SoTheySay said:

Looking beyond the pictures I'm not entirely sure what's going on in there. Maybe the current owner fake-distressed the kitchen island and painted the cabinets, but based on the granite level and enormous bevel the wood flooring has the trim level isn't $625K IMO. Fireplace, stairs and patio look nice though.

Decent pictures make the right agent worth the money - they would be able to visually present the argument that this is a $XXXK house instead of one listed for 2/3 that amount. People need to pull up listings for whoever they're considering before signing a listing agreement to make sure they like what they see. It's such a simple thing to do I don't understand why they don't do it.
dubi
AG
SoTheySay said:

SECond2noneAgs
AG
Those pictures make me claustrophopic
Diggity
AG
even that dog seems to be perplexed by the state of the place.
dubi
AG
Diggity said:

even that dog seems to be perplexed by the state of the place.
TXTransplant
The Fife said:

SoTheySay said:

Looking beyond the pictures I'm not entirely sure what's going on in there. Maybe the current owner fake-distressed the kitchen island and painted the cabinets, but based on the granite level and enormous bevel the wood flooring has the trim level isn't $625K IMO. Fireplace, stairs and patio look nice though.

Decent pictures make the right agent worth the money - they would be able to visually present the argument that this is a $XXXK house instead of one listed for 2/3 that amount. People need to pull up listings for whoever they're considering before signing a listing agreement to make sure they like what they see. It's such a simple thing to do I don't understand why they don't do it.

Speaking because I live in the same hood, and even with different builders, the trim in these houses is very similar - the main kitchen cabinets are painted. The island cabinets are also painted but but have a brown glaze on top. I know because I have cabinets with the same glaze in my house. They actually look good in person. The resolution of these pictures just make it look terrible/cheap. The wood flooring is also standard "hand-scraped" pre-fab planks. Again, I have similar stuff in my house, and while not "custom", it does look a lot better in person compared to those pictures. Heck, the flooring doesn't even look the same in the various pictures included in the listing!

The granite does look pretty builder-grade (mine is thicker and has a more "exotic"'pattern), but that's pretty standard for what you get here. $130-$150/sq ft is typical for resale in this neighborhood. New construction and specific types of resale (i.e., houses with tile roofs) can go for $200/sq ft. In part, I think that's why realtors can get away with such crappy listing pics. If you're looking for a house of a certain size in this area, this one is priced competively. So, as bad as the pics are, I doubt they will keep all buyers away and it will sell (might just take a little longer).

I think the dog is stuck in a Mexican stand off with the alligator.
Furlock Bones
AG
SECond2noneAgs said:

how can they possibly have that much crap?
sts7049
AG
that's not even close to true hoarder level
The Fife
sts7049 said:

that's not even close to true hoarder level
Yep, my grandma was one. She managed an apartment complex for about 35 years and kept absolutely everything left by a tenant when they moved out. Every room in her place was like this, plus two storage sheds out back. It took 3 years to move and sort through it all.

(for reference the closet below is 8' deep, filled completely to the front. You could carbon date the last time she had access to pieces of furniture in there by what decade the coupons expired in)

dubi
AG
WOW!
The Fife
dubi said:

WOW!

True hoarding is really hard to photograph because you can't get back far enough to take very good pictures. She knew it was bad, but never really could get rid of anything that wasn't absolute garbage. Long story there. The bedroom pictured belonged to my aunt, also a long story.

You had to be careful with food that wasn't out front, for example sodas may have expired a decade or more earlier.
p_bubel
That's nothing. I've been in places where you had crap 5 foot high and one path through the house.

Good luck guessing on the actually condition of a place where you can't see most of the floor or walls.
The Fife
You're right, it could have been MUCH worse. She threw away empty food containers, newspapers, wrappers and things like that. There's a whole other level of clutter she never got near to.
sts7049
AG
my grandfather was (and still is to an extent) a hoarder as well.

he used to own a ~1600sqft house in norman OK until we sold it off about 2 years ago. but for the previous ten years, he never lived in the house. because every square inch up to the ceiling was packed with stuff. including the garage, the sheds in the backyard, even spilling into the back yard itself, etc etc.

a couple years prior to selling, my mother and i got into the house to check on the state of things. what we saw in there was appalling. the power had been cut off for years, with the fridge still full of food. we also found a totally decomposed cat it one of the back bedrooms, nothing but a skeleton.

when we did clean out the house to sell, the company we hired had to use six roll off dumpsters to haul all of the garbage away.
p_bubel
Quote:

BEAUTIFUL 1 STORY CUSTOM MADE HOME
[url=https://flic.kr/p/NsYRkG][/url]oye-11 by Paul Bubel, on Flickr

Your typical 1980s infill tract home in a depressed area with zero upgrades since construction. Custom!
p_bubel
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Nt1C9s][/url]oye-12 by Paul Bubel, on Flickr

WTF is that on the roof?

Quote:

This home anything but cheap.
Cripes...
Satellite of Love
I like how they said **** it and stuck a stove in the middle of the kitchen
The Fife
Yo dawg, we heard you liked knotty pine...

You know how I can tell you did the bathrooms yourself?

$310K and all this can be yours!
sts7049
AG
something is off about the front of the house too. i think it's the tiny garage door.
TXTransplant
From this morning's recent listing search...

http://www.har.com/6327-craigway-rd/sale_85994245
histag10
AG
I'm sure the neighbors love the toilet in the window directly across from their window. I don't know if I could ever get visuals of that out of my head.
LostInLA07
AG
They've been trying to sell that house for awhile. The photos on previous listings are even worse.
TXTransplant
LostInLA07 said:

They've been trying to sell that house for awhile. The photos on previous listings are even worse.

I thought it looked familiar...it's in my zip code, and I like to keep an eye on listings. I think I've seen it before, too.
The Fife
histag10 said:

I'm sure the neighbors love the toilet in the window directly across from their window. I don't know if I could ever get visuals of that out of my head.
One of ours has a toilet in front of a window, but they were smart enough to make the window a lot higher up than that one is. I'm amazed the previous owners didn't think to put in one with frosted glass when they had vinyl windows installed about 15 years ago. The old lady next door said it was sometimes a pretty good show when someone would get out of the shower.
The Fife
TXTransplant said:

From this morning's recent listing search...

http://www.har.com/6327-craigway-rd/sale_85994245
Ok I'm possibly BSC, and even I don't know WTF to do with a living room that has a tree growing in the middle of it. That's pretty tough to design around. The rest of the place has next to zero character so that would be easy.
histag10
AG
The Fife said:

histag10 said:

One of ours has a toilet in front of a window, but they were smart enough to make the window a lot higher up than that one is. I'm amazed the previous owners didn't think to put in one with frosted glass when they had vinyl windows installed about 15 years ago. The old lady next door said it was sometimes a pretty good show when someone would get out of the shower.

that height is perfect for seeing pre poop butt, as they drop their drawers to sit down. Shoot, you can wave to your neighbor while peeing I guess.
AG
http://www.southtexasranches.com/property/154-ac-7600sf-luxury-home-pool-on-hondo-creek?scat=3812

I've actually been in this house, its all kinds of WTF. As might be guessed its owned by some very wealthy Hispanics.
sts7049
AG
is that flooring on the ceiling?
dubi
AG
sts7049 said:

is that flooring on the ceiling?
+1
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 126

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.