Real Estate
Sponsored by

Absolutely Stunning Custom Home?

623,814 Views | 4407 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by p_bubel
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
400k for a house with carpet in the bathroom that hasn't been updated.

Yep, that's typical up here, especially for one-story houses of that size (they are already in fairly limited supply vs. 2-story, 3000+ sq ft homes). I can't tell you how unbelievably frustrating my house search was. I eventually went with new construction, but had to go into Harris Co. to get it.

Somehow I always unknowingly end up with some inappropriate emoticon when I type in my phone...
because putting tile in the bathroom of a slab home is such a huge chore?
TXTransplant
quote:
quote:
quote:
400k for a house with carpet in the bathroom that hasn't been updated.

Yep, that's typical up here, especially for one-story houses of that size (they are already in fairly limited supply vs. 2-story, 3000+ sq ft homes). I can't tell you how unbelievably frustrating my house search was. I eventually went with new construction, but had to go into Harris Co. to get it.

Somehow I always unknowingly end up with some inappropriate emoticon when I type in my phone...
because putting tile in the bathroom of a slab home is such a huge chore?

No need for the snark. Not all of us here are DIY enthusiasts with a garage full of tools.

I would have had to hire it out. And when homeowners are asking top dollar for their property, I don't expect to have to rip out and replace nasty, 20+ year old bathroom carpet, regardless of whether I do it myself or pay someone to do it. I tend to think that's a maintenance type thing homeowners should be doing before they try to sell.
agracer
AG
you don't have to pay what they're asking. You can just deduct the $x,000 dollars it might cost to have tile installed from your offer and have it done before you move in.

But to completely remove a home from your shopping list b/c of what you call a maintenance item seems a bit short sighted. Especially if it checks every other box on your list.
TXTransplant
quote:
you don't have to pay what they're asking. You can just deduct the $x,000 dollars it might cost to have tile installed from your offer and have it done before you move in.

But to completely remove a home from your shopping list b/c of what you call a maintenance item seems a bit short sighted. Especially if it checks every other box on your list.

Personally, I tend to be dissuaded right off the bat by a seller who is asking top dollar for a house that needs work. Granted, part of the problem was the nuances of the specific market at the time I was looking, but $400k was already at the very top of my budget. I wasn't interested in paying that kind of money for a house with carpet on the bathroom, when I knew if I kept looking, I would find something better (and I did). I tend to wonder if a seller is too stingy to fix obvious/easy stuff before putting a house on the market, what other not-so-obvious, but more major/expensive things, haven't been done. I'm not one to be interested in negotiating when I think something is ridiculously overpriced to begin with. Isn't there a rule of real estate about how listing too high turns off buyers?

And truth be told, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a house with carpet in the bathroom that otherwise "checks every other box on your list". Usually houses with that particular "feature" are outdated in many other ways, too, and need much more work than just replacing a small area of carpet with tile.
agracer
AG
quote:
quote:

Personally, I tend to be dissuaded right off the bat by a seller who is asking top dollar for a house that needs work. Granted, part of the problem was the nuances of the specific market at the time I was looking, but $400k was already at the very top of my budget. I wasn't interested in paying that kind of money for a house with carpet on the bathroom, when I knew if I kept looking, I would find something better (and I did). I tend to wonder if a seller is too stingy to fix obvious/easy stuff before putting a house on the market, what other not-so-obvious, but more major/expensive things, haven't been done. I'm not one to be interested in negotiating when I think something is ridiculously overpriced to begin with. Isn't there a rule of real estate about how listing too high turns off buyers?

And truth be told, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a house with carpet in the bathroom that otherwise "checks every other box on your list". Usually houses with that particular "feature" are outdated in many other ways, too, and need much more work than just replacing a small area of carpet with tile.
You're the only person I've ever heard of who was home shoping say they would completely exclude a home because of carpet in the bathroom. I agree it's not appealing and I would also replace it ASAP. But it's certainly not an "obvious" fix. It's really not a fix at all like a cracked bat board or leaky faucet. It's an improvement or even an upgrade.

But if fixing it is so obvious/easy, why would you not just budget it to be done after purchase?

And how would you know if a house that had carpet in the bathroom did not check all the other boxes if you immediately scratched if off your list?
TXTransplant
quote:
You're the only person I've ever heard of who was home shoping say they would completely exclude a home because of carpet in the bathroom. I agree it's not appealing and I would also replace it ASAP. But it's certainly not an "obvious" fix. It's really not a fix at all like a cracked bat board or leaky faucet. It's an improvement or even an upgrade.

But if fixing it is so obvious/easy, why would you not just budget it to be done after purchase?

And how would you know if a house that had carpet in the bathroom did not check all the other boxes if you immediately scratched if off your list?

So, you've never heard of anyone whose preference is to buy a move-in-ready home?

Well, obviously to find out that it had carpet in the bathroom, I had to look through pictures on the MLS. And in pretty much every case, the MLS pictures clearly indicated that house needed much more in updates than just replacing carpet in the bathroom. I was open to doing some cosmetic changes, but I had to draw the line somewhere. Carpet in the bathroom was a huge turnoff (as were some other things). If I listed them out, they would probably be equally as confounding to you, as I can freely admit I have some specific preferences when it comes to houses.

I've bought three houses, and I have valued my realtors' time enough to not waste it by having them show me houses that, based on the MLS pictures, I'm pretty certain are not the right house for me. As it turned out, I had very few showings of houses that needed any major updates in the bathrooms and kitchen (maybe one?).

As I mentioned, I was looking at houses up to $400k; I didn't have the budget to spend that much AND pay for extensive updates. I happened to be looking in a market, though, where quite a few sellers were actively trying to see just how little they could do and still get a premium price. I'm also not interesting in haggling with people who refuse to do even simple updates to their home but still expect to get top dollar. If you don't want to do updates, then the price should reflect it. It's prpbably a good thing that not all buyers share my same opinions.
agracer
AG
quote:
quote:

So, you've never heard of anyone whose preference is to buy a move-in-ready home?

Well, obviously to find out that it had carpet in the bathroom, I had to look through pictures on the MLS. And in pretty much every case, the MLS pictures clearly indicated that house needed much more in updates than just replacing carpet in the bathroom. I was open to doing some cosmetic changes, but I had to draw the line somewhere. Carpet in the bathroom was a huge turnoff (as were some other things). If I listed them out, they would probably be equally as confounding to you, as I can freely admit I have some specific preferences when it comes to houses.

That's not the same thing as "When I was looking a few years ago, I screened everything on the HAR first. I wouldn't even go look at a house with carpet in the bathroom. Quite a few houses dropped off my list based on that criteria alone."

Which I suppose I should have quoted the first time to be more clear.
TXTransplant
I don't quite understand your point. I looked at tons of houses online. For better or worse, based on pictures alone, I determined what I wanted my realtor to show me in person. There were plenty of houses I was on the fence about (i.e., they weren't great or what I preferred, but I could probably make them work in lieu of being homeless). Obviously, I didn't have time to view them all in person...if one that I happened to be on the fence about also had carpet in the bathroom, then I passed on a showing. I passed on quite a few houses that required other specific types of updates/renovations, especially if they were already at the top of my budget. There were some updates/renovations that I was just not willing to deal with regardless of how "simple" they may seem.

You asked me separately how I knew a house that has carpet in the bathroom did not check all of my other boxes if I immediately scratched it off my list. I knew because I looked at the pictures on the MLS. I didn't just look at the one picture that showed carpet in the bathroom. And the fact is, all of those houses required fairly extensive additional renovations besides just that change. I strongly preferred move in ready, but due to the market, I knew I might have to settle for something that needed some renovations/updating. Some specific updates/renovations were deal breakers for me. None of these statements are contradictory. In the end, I expanded my search area and found a house that needed no updates at all and spent less money.

And with that, I'm going to try to get this thread back on track. No one comes here to see us going back and forth on why my personal search criteria for a house was right or wrong. They come here to see pictures of crazy real estate listings and get a good laugh! Unfortunately, other than a $650k tear-down, I don't have anything to contribute from this morning's perusal of newest The Woodlands/Spring real estate listings.

The Fife
Nada much here in Charleston either except for a house supposedly built around 1712 coming up for sale. It's one of two that claim to be the oldest residence in the city.
TXTransplant
So, this almost slipped past, and is a good case study for our resident appraisers. These two houses are on the same street in The Woodlands area (not technically within The Woodlands boundaries, though). The area has flooded many times over the years, including twice already this year.

House #1 is typical for the immediate area, both in the style and the price.

http://www.har.com/3319-shadowcrest-ln/sale_97593544

House #2 - is four houses down from house #1. And let's just say that $260 a sq foot is kinda high, even for the most exclusive gated communities up here. I'm not certain if the houses on this street flooded, but I wouldn't be surprised if the slate tile on the wall represents the high water mark.

http://www.har.com/3303-shadowcrest-ln/sale_9003974

House #3, also typical for the area, is directly behind the house next door to house #1, and is three lots over from the house directly behind house #2.

http://www.har.com/3314-long-shadows-st/sale_53542713

FWIW, there are only 43 properties priced between $200-$300 per sq ft in this zip code. For reference, this is what $260/sq ft typically gets you in 77380.

http://www.har.com/16-honey-daffodil-pl/sale_5853964

And I'm pretty sure House #2 isn't lot value, because the five lots for sale in that area are listed for $25k-$50k.

Diggity
AG
looks like a grossly overpriced flip. No way that would appraise.
TXTransplant
quote:
looks like a grossly overpriced flip. No way that would appraise.

Yeah, I've seen some pretty aggressive pricing up here, but that's got to be one of the most egregious examples. I can't help but wonder if it was an error when the agent entered the listing.

If it's not a mistake, what gets me even more is how crazy that price is considering the flooding history of the location. There has been talk of the county partnering with FEMA to buy up houses in that area and tear them down. To ask that much for a house in that neighborhood just seems like a scam that is trying to prey on buyers who are unfamiliar with the area. I've seen it to a certain extent (but not nearly this bad) in another area up here, right before a road widening was "officially" announced. Prices were over-inflated before the construction announcement (even though everyone who lived here knew it was coming). Now that construction has started, prices of the houses that back up to the road have plummeted. It's amazing how careless buyers can be when spending $400-$500k+ on a house.
tommyjohn
Has to be a mistake. No one is paying 400k for a house in TL/TR.
Diggity
AG
could be a mistake..but he's had a week to correct it.
The Fife
#2 is just bizarre and the workmanship scares the hell out of me. I see too many things done half assed or just plain wrong just from looking on my phone.

What$xxx/sq ft would be a fun game to play in our overinflated market. Prices are high but property taxes are maybe 1/7 of what I paid in SA.
TXTransplant
quote:
#2 is just bizarre and the workmanship scares the hell out of me. I see too many things done half assed or just plain wrong just from looking on my phone.

What$xxx/sq ft would be a fun game to play in our overinflated market. Prices are high but property taxes are maybe 1/7 of what I paid in SA.

What's interesting is that $400k house is only valued at about $130k by the CAD. And the CADs here have been VERY aggressive ever since the market took off a few years ago. Appraised values don't lag that far behind around here.
Satellite of Love
quote:
House #2 - is four houses down from house #1. And let's just say that $260 a sq foot is kinda high, even for the most exclusive gated communities up here. I'm not certain if the houses on this street flooded, but I wouldn't be surprised if the slate tile on the wall represents the high water mark.

I can't even with this house.....I lost count on the number of different tiles they used throughout the house. Oh look, they brought the outside stone indoors....poorly. I think someone spent above and way beyond their flip budget and are trying recoup costs and make a 50 to 60% profit? It's listing like these you want to pull the owner to the side and ask them what the hell is going on in their mind.
Satellite of Love
Also wanted to add that they did about 7,000 sq ft of crushed stone for the backyard. WTF is wrong with that flipper? If you don't want a yard then buy a condo. Why ruin a lot that large with crushed stone?
The Fife
quote:
quote:

I can't even with this house.....I lost count on the number of different tiles they used throughout the house. Oh look, they brought the outside stone indoors....poorly. I think someone spent above and way beyond their flip budget and are trying recoup costs and make a 50 to 60% profit? It's listing like these you want to pull the owner to the side and ask them what the hell is going on in their mind.
I'm not even sure that outside stone is supposed to be used outside, or how they managed to get it to completely adhere to brick (can be seen in the 2011 Google Maps drive by). It's like they had a great deal on a big lot of the stuff and just went to town with it.
powerbiscuit
quote:
mid-century modern ranch home
Why stop there? Why not throw in craftsman, neo-eclectic, and victorian?

Mid-century modern craftsman victorian ranch neo-eclectic home.

MAS444
AG
I have a (relatively) large lot in the Heights area and did black star gravel in my back "yard." I have a large dog kennel back there, a mature magnolia tree, a patio area, several large raised planters (garden), etc...so I wouldn't say it's the same as living in a condo. We still have the space...just got tired of the maintenance of the grass back there that didn't really serve much of a purpose. Granted, we still do have a large side yard (3000 - 4000ft2) with grass.

But yeah...that house is awful.
dubi
AG

Browsing a house for sale in Nantucket (B/CS)

Serously, $500k is expensive in BCS. Remove the wallpaper. Take decent pics. UGH.
SoTheySay
S
You KNOW pics are a like my biggest pet peeve!
Diggity
AG
your listing made Swamplot

SLATED FOR A REDO The Brand-New Mid-Century Mod-ifications Wrapped Around This 1970s Grogan's Mill Ranch
The Fife
quote:

Browsing a house for sale in Nantucket (B/CS)

Serously, $500k is expensive in BCS. Remove the wallpaper. Take decent pics. UGH.

Minus the 1980s touch that house has Charleston styling written all over it. Welcome to my personal hell.
dubi
p_bubel
quote:
Seller prefers NO VA financing.

Is that even legal? Secondly, why would that be an issue? VA loans, at least on my end, are pretty simple affairs.

My sister's useless realtor put the same thing in her listing. I think she meant FHA, which on a 60 year old house that needs some minor work could be understandable.

This though, the house is 8 years old.
Zemira
AG
I'm digging the octogan window in the bathroom and the off kilter photo.
Zemira
AG
You have to love the color scheme in this media room.

p_bubel
Zemira
AG
And wouldn't you end up with dirty limestone while cooking?

p_bubel
Plus no proper functioning vent as well.
TXTransplant
quote:
your listing made Swamplot

SLATED FOR A REDO The Brand-New Mid-Century Mod-ifications Wrapped Around This 1970s Grogan's Mill Ranch

Considering the flooding history of that neighborhood, it's pretty funny that it's the featured listing on a website called Swamplot. If only the readers knew...

It's not in southern Harris Co, either. That house is on the southern edge of Montgomery Co. Kind of an important detail to make sure is correct...

And LOL at the comments on that page! Those are gold!
The Fife
quote:
You have to love the color scheme in this media room.

It's a nice house on what's probably a great lot and all but I really hate the new-but-distressed look most of the cabinets in that place have.
The Fife
quote:
And wouldn't you end up with dirty limestone while cooking?

Yes - I'm looking at a streaked up glass tile backsplash right now from the last time I cooked Indian food (think: lots of peanut oil and tomato). Someone had a similar question in Home Improvement about using stone with this kind of finish in a shower and the consensus was not to unless you enjoy fighting mildew.

The vent might not be that undersized... I can't see the cooktop very well but it looks small, there are only four knobs for burners and it's the same width as the wall oven below. That makes it 30" wide but that brings up something else. If I'm in the market for an $800K house I'd be expecting more in terms of the kitchen appliances in general.
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 126

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.