Real Estate
Sponsored by

Absolutely Stunning Custom Home?

623,707 Views | 4407 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by p_bubel
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm guilty of some "puffery" occasionally with my listings but when I think stunning and custom, wall-to-wall carpet, cheap tile and harsh lighting don't typically come to mind.

Great pics too.

Anyone have some other examples are badass listing agent work?

What Wenrong?

TXTransplant
I'm not a RE professional, but I love to peruse HAR and get a good laugh every time I come across a bad listing. The more expensive, the better.

Here are a few from The Woodlands area. Blurry and crooked/sideways pics, bad lighting, and this agent even appeared to stage a partially finished home (notice the "dining set" next to the staircase with the blue painter's tape/unfinished stairs in the second listing)

http://www.har.com/131-benjis-place/sale_71440591
http://www.har.com/139-benjis-place/sale_86150874
http://www.har.com/22-jarvis-row-cir/sale_53185747

This is a new development, and evidently this agent has all of the listings. Every single one of them has had as bad or worse pictures. Makes me shake my head...
powerbiscuit
looks a hell of a lot better than your summary
Diggity
AG
Oh I've seen much worse, I just think it's ridiculous that an agent stands to make $10K+ on a home and won't shell out a couple hundred for a professional photographer.

And I'm sorry, when I read "absolutely stunning" that's not what I'm expecting.
leanderag82
AG
Some people look for things to complain about...........nothing is terrible about any of those listings.
Diggity
AG
Guess that's me!
TXTransplant
quote:
Some people look for things to complain about...........nothing is terrible about any of those listings.

That's the point...the houses are pretty nice. It's that the HAR listings/photos are just terrible. When the MLS is the main way to promote properties, you'd expect the listing agent to take a little more pride in their work! There is no way I'd hire an agent whose listings look like that!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Our neighbors just listed their house and actually had a specialized "photographer" come over to do the photos - the pictures are horribly dark, you can see reflections of the on camera flash on everything, heavy vignette.

Just awful. Their house is pretty nice, sadly.

Our realtor has a background in photography and he did awesome. We had an absolute ton of traffic - at least one showing every day until the day we received and accepted an offer (which was day 5).

A house can overcome photography, but good photography can certainly increase your odds of getting the right buyer in quickly.
jja79
AG
I have to assume by stunning and custom they meant remarkably similar to most of the other inventory.
TXTransplant
It's all those lovely fluorescent light fixtures that make it "custom". You just don't see that any more in new construction at that price point. That's why the agent included so many pictures of them.
AggiePlaya
AG
Dumbassery would have been a good word to include
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Just made an appointment to show a home tomorrow....in showing instructions here's what it says:

"Provide feed back please! For the key to work, you have to turn it and then halfway through the turn, pull the key out slightly and then keep turning."

House has been on the market 104 days in a red hot market....agent too lazy or cheap to fix the lock and avoid a bad first impression on EVERY SINGLE showing. Wow...

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
dreyOO
quote:
I just think it's ridiculous that an agent stands to make $10K+ on a home and won't shell out a couple hundred for a professional photographer.

I see that all the time. So cheap
Sooner Born
quote:
What Wenrong?
The Fife
quote:
I'm not a RE professional, but I love to peruse HAR and get a good laugh every time I come across a bad listing. The more expensive, the better.

Here are a few from The Woodlands area. Blurry and crooked/sideways pics, bad lighting, and this agent even appeared to stage a partially finished home (notice the "dining set" next to the staircase with the blue painter's tape/unfinished stairs in the second listing)

http://www.har.com/131-benjis-place/sale_71440591
http://www.har.com/139-benjis-place/sale_86150874
http://www.har.com/22-jarvis-row-cir/sale_53185747

This is a new development, and evidently this agent has all of the listings. Every single one of them has had as bad or worse pictures. Makes me shake my head...
The development is called Grogan's Crest. Seriously? Do they even bother to look into what these words mean?

I'm with jja79 - I see some nicer than average materials used there, but the layout in general is just... nope. In general it looks similar to everything else for sale. "Custom" in this case just not bult by KB/Centex/Ryland/... megabuilder instead of actual custom.
careerchange05
AG
I wish I still had the listing, but last year there was a house listed in NW Dallas with a photo featuring a statue of a man... Servicing another man. I kid you not. I'll look around for it.

It was listed at around 400k, too. So it wasn't a joke listing.
TXTransplant
quote:
The development is called Grogan's Crest. Seriously? Do they even bother to look into what these words mean?

There is a major road in The Woodlands called Grogan's Mill. So, we've got all sorts of combinations of grogan with other words to describe roads, small developments, and shopping centers.
The Fife
Wow that's both unfortunate and hilarious at the same time.
powerbiscuit
What's the problem with "Grogan's Crest"?

The funniest that I've seen are street names with a theme and some of them are spelled incorrectly. A neighborhood with university names....DePaw? I don't think so.
Satellite of Love

sweet photo! I've never seen a sideways shower head with the handle on the ceiling!
Know1
AG
quote:

sweet photo! I've never seen a sideways shower head with the handle on the ceiling!
Now THAT is custom!!
jja79
AG
quote:
What's the problem with "Grogan's Crest"?

The funniest that I've seen are street names with a theme and some of them are spelled incorrectly. A neighborhood with university names....DePaw? I don't think so.

I'm also wondering what's so hysterical about Grogan's Mill.
AggieHiss06
UD to the rescue.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GROGAN
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
UD to the rescue.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GROGAN

Oh. Now it makes sense.
The Fife
You will never look at this development the same way.
Satellite of Love
So is little square windows the next fad in "custom homes?"
The Fife
My prediction is that you'll see a ton of up/down upper kitchen cabinets and that they'll all be modified shaker style. I'm surprised that in TX white hasn't taken over wood yet.
powerbiscuit
this is the only grogan I ever heard of

p_bubel
Every drainage ditch a greenbelt.
p_bubel
Also a pet peeve is overuse of extreme HDR photos. I'll see if I can find the one from last week.
p_bubel

These are very informative and well-shot photos save for the stupid use of HDR filters.
Diggity
The Fife
See kids, proper zoning really does prevent houses from being built on top of nuclear waste disposal sites. Just look at this one.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 126

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.