Offers

4,596 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bucketrunner
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedrjdub
AG
aggiedrjdub
AG
aggiedrjdub
AG
fitzwatema
AG
Do you know anything about these players?
AggieSports
AG
Love to see it!!
AggieSports
AG
I see they all play for Team Lex.
aggiedrjdub
AG
No but I was hoping someone would chime in and give us details. I see all of the offers/recruits are an 8th graders. Crazy lol
FriscoAg1999
AG
Looks like all four are from a completely stacked AAU team playing out of Mansfield. They are listed on their website playing as a 16U team. If they are all 2026 they are likely 13-14 years old. Crazy. Looks like they played in the Heart of Texas tourney this past weekend in Mansfield. The thing with girls is that by 13-14 you can pretty much tell who the really tall ones will be and can definitely tell which ones are athletically gifted.

To provide some prospective, I have a 6th grade daughter AAU player and we're just starting to get a taste of this craziness. It's insane and there is an incredible amount of hype for profit going on starting around 5th/6th grade. We've already received a highlight video from a company that was filming at a local tournament offering to get my daughter exposure. She's a decent 5'1" 90 lb guard (with 5/8" and 5'6" parents), on a good local AAU team that plays basically on grade level, but didn't make the "elite" travel team in the same program. Most good girls' travel teams end up playing up a grade or two as well. My kid probably projects to a high school varsity starter but doubtful she's college ball material even in D2/3. I can't imagine what it's like to have a kid with actual big school D1 talent and the ego stroking that goes on trying to separate parents from their money.

I also pray that my daughter's AAU team never meets Team Lex.

I also wonder how these kind of early offers play out over time. Are they often pulled if the kids don't continue to progress? I'd expect that has to be the case, right?
aggiedrjdub
AG
That's awesome info; good luck to your daughter! You never know what may happen...

If I recall correctly, I think the early recruiting and constant communication is what drew in Janiah Barker (at least that's what she's stated). She was saying that it was so nice to be recruited early and have the coaches follow through with that commitment and follow her around wherever she went.

This seems super encouraging to me, though. I like seeing these updates!
giggitygigem
Offers at that age mean very little considering none of them have played varsity basketball, I've done a little research on these 4 and think they're all going to DeSoto which spent all of this passed season nationally ranked in the top 10 and even spent some time at #1 with some big wins none bigger than the win over Janiah Barker led Montverde Academy.

Joni knows this, iron sharpens iron, so playing with talent can only make you better if you embrace the challenge of competing every day. She knows they're going to a high school program that is going to actually develop their skillsets and teach them the game. That last part is really important because talent and athleticism can get you in a room but coupling that w/ basketball IQ will put you at the podium. A lot of talented high schoolers are elite individual talents, don't really know how to play with other talent, and have star block.(yes you should be thinking about Chennedy Carter right now) Sometimes that talent can propel you forward, but complimenting and better yet elevating the play of those around is the best skill you can have in basketball.

Thinking back to when coach said "Texas girl are are top priority," she meant it. I think she learned at Georgia that with elite talent, which you need to compete in this conference, you have to get in early, grow your relationship with them as they grow their game. I can tell you that Robert Moseley was at an early morning practice when Sydney Bowles was a freshman on a 9-19 team. That kind of commitment is how you get players to change their college destination this late in the process.

These offers aren't so much about those four girls but about getting out into the talent rich areas of east Texas and building relationships with not just players but coaches and grassroots scouts familiar with the area. "Basketball is a relationships game," Joni said in her introductory conference so this is more than their talent.
Rudybryan
giggitygigem said:

Offers at that age mean very little considering none of them have played varsity basketball, I've done a little research on these 4 and think they're all going to DeSoto which spent all of this passed season nationally ranked in the top 10 and even spent some time at #1 with some big wins none bigger than the win over Janiah Barker led Montverde Academy.

Joni knows this, iron sharpens iron, so playing with talent can only make you better if you embrace the challenge of competing every day. She knows they're going to a high school program that is going to actually develop their skillsets and teach them the game. That last part is really important because talent and athleticism can get you in a room but coupling that w/ basketball IQ will put you at the podium. A lot of talented high schoolers are elite individual talents, don't really know how to play with other talent, and have star block.(yes you should be thinking about Chennedy Carter right now) Sometimes that talent can propel you forward, but complimenting and better yet elevating the play of those around is the best skill you can have in basketball.

Thinking back to when coach said "Texas girl are are top priority," she meant it. I think she learned at Georgia that with elite talent, which you need to compete in this conference, you have to get in early, grow your relationship with them as they grow their game. I can tell you that Robert Moseley was at an early morning practice when Sydney Bowles was a freshman on a 9-19 team. That kind of commitment is how you get players to change their college destination this late in the process.

These offers aren't so much about those four girls but about getting out into the talent rich areas of east Texas and building relationships with not just players but coaches and grassroots scouts familiar with the area. "Basketball is a relationships game," Joni said in her introductory conference so this is more than their talent.
De Soto has always been good to us

Von Miller, Cyrus Gray and https://www.flofootball.com/articles/6050335-5-desoto-eagles-who-flew-to-the-nfl

Our beloved Sydney Carter is from De Soto

Kbeauty63
AG
Rudybryan said:

giggitygigem said:

De Soto has always been good to us

Von Miller, Cyrus Gray and https://www.flofootball.com/articles/6050335-5-desoto-eagles-who-flew-to-the-nfl

Our beloved Sydney Carter is from De Soto

As was Jordan Jones
aggiedrjdub
AG
labayouboy
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

This is a big deal. This kid can flat out play.

I'd also like to see us offer Justice Carlton at Katy Seven Lakes & Loghan Johnson at Houston Christian.
aggiedrjdub
AG
aggiedrjdub
AG
aggiedrjdub
AG
You must be right bc this girl has ALL the offers from big time schools. Wow.
labayouboy
AG
Aaliyah was offered by Texas Tech & Arkansas as an 8th grader. She works on her craft daily (dribbling, hundreds of shots daily). She plays for the same AAU organization as my daughter.

As I said earlier, I hope we can also make a move with Justice Carlton whose mom played at Baylor.
labayouboy
AG
Ags offered Laci Steele, a top junior, from Edmond North in Oklahoma.

aggiedrjdub
AG

This girl looks good!
aggiedrjdub
AG
I cannot even tell you how many offers this girl has now. Incredible.
aggiebrad94
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I cannot even tell you how many offers this girl has now. Incredible.
Which girl?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Aaliyah Chavez - She is in high demand!
Anchorhold
Eighteen offers as of last week.
FriscoAg1999
AG
There seems to be a sentiment that high school ball really doesn't matter much anymore. It's all about AAU. It's great these girls are going to a program like Desoto but I'd expect that if they played for Team Lex in AAU and lived in a school district with a crummy WBB team, they'd be ok. School season is just so short when kids are playing year round now. Those kids are flying all over the country to play AAU tournaments so it seems the school teams get de-emphasized. Just my impression given my experience is limited to 6th grade and below and listening to AAU parents and coaches.
giggitygigem
The high school season definitely doesn't carry as much weight as summer ball does when evaluating talent. You learn a different set of characteristics from high school ball. Coaches are more likely to learn the answer to these questions from a players high school
tape: Can they carry a team? elevate the talent around them? beat teams in hard denial defense? Do they hop from high school to high school(even more important now that they can do the same in college)? get frustrated by referees, double teams? High school ball does have some weight for the girls on the top teams nationally that play national schedules i.e. DeSoto.
Rudybryan
giggitygigem said:

The high school season definitely doesn't carry as much weight as summer ball does when evaluating talent. You learn a different set of characteristics from high school ball. Coaches are more likely to learn the answer to these questions from a players high school
tape: Can they carry a team? elevate the talent around them? beat teams in hard denial defense? Do they hop from high school to high school(even more important now that they can do the same in college)? get frustrated by referees, double teams? High school ball does have some weight for the girls on the top teams nationally that play national schedules i.e. DeSoto.
Other things to consider:

Can they do sports and still complete school wiith good grades.....not only coaches looking for great team mates but also looking for students who can academically qualify - there was a very tall local girl who we were interested in and Kim at Baylor --problem was she didn't have the grades for us so she went to another college.

In todays climate the athlete has to have multipule skills and rise above the others.....the only way to accomplish that is to be a GYM RAT When we were in the Big 12 there was a girl from Iowa that could sink threes all day long......the story was from the time she was in the 7th grade .......she and her Dad went to the gym at 5:30am and she shot 500 3 pointers before breakfast.....

How many games have we seen were points are left on the floor on missed free throws....below .the best in the WNBA and their avgs.

* - Hall of Famer; Bold=active player
Rank
Player
FT%

Elena Delle Donne avg was over 193 games
Tiffany Mitchell
Becky Hammon avg was over 450 games
Kayla McBride
Kara Lawson
Jewell Loyd
Allie Quigley
Nicole Powell
Kristi Toliver
Cynthia Cooper*
Diana Taurasi This avg is over 472 games
Danielle Robinson OU PG when we were in big 12 avg was over 296 gms

Each one above practice practice practice

In ALL OF SEC the highest ind. percent was 90.5% https://www.secsports.com/statistics/womens-basketball/player/free-throws

Kayla Wells was 5th on the list with 82.1%

All the pros listed above are very good on both sides of the ball......

look at stats today.....to be a real good solid player you must be around FG% 40 3PT s/b high 20's low 30's FT% above 80% must be good on defense.... to beable to handle/control ball snappy passer court awareness......study the game and the other teams players.....not be a ball hog....be a team player..........be a good student......serve your community........

Now give me 15 students who qualify and we will have one hell of a team

aggiedrjdub
AG
greg.w.h
AG
Someone is having a blast with recruiting!!!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

Wish Texas Law on NIL was like LA law is for LSU.......every state has there own laws......NCAA can't control this it has to become a federal law so everyone is working on the same plane.
Bucketrunner
If there is a way to do something underhanded, you can count on KM to be the first to try it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.