What the Numbers Say

3,600 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiedrjdub
giggitygigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let me preface this by saying I'm a stat lover who KNOWS stats don't paint the whole picture of a team or a player. You can make stats(unless particularly ugly) for whatever narrative you're trying to push.

I've done some analysis and it's not the prettiest.

44% of the total minutes played are no longer on the team.

49% of the total points are no longer on the team

43% of the total assists are no longer on the team
(Nixon was the leader with 119 assists

Of the returning players only one made double digit 3s last season(Jordan Nixon/44/126) with her the remaining players shot 51/163(31%)without her the remaining returning players were just 7/37(19%) from 3. It'll be tough to rely on a player still returning from a meniscus cleanup to be doing the heavy lifting on offense.

I throw all these stats out to say that this season will probably be pretty rough with so much inexperience on the perimeter. I'd love to hear you guys thoughts on this subject and what you would like to see Joni and her staff do about it short of feeding the post.
taylorswift13
AG
What I'm curious about is who our primary ball handler will be?!?! I love the idea of Nixon playing off the ball and getting open from 3 or a drive to the basket and kick out to a Barker, Bowles, or Patty. I don't think we have the shooters, so I feel we need to be honest from mid range and score primarily through a cut and kick out type of offense. I think Barker and Bowles will impose their will and show off their skills attacking the basket and shooting.

I also think our length of Barker and Bowles and the skillset of Roby and tenacious effort of Patty will help our rebounding go up. Our size on the perimeter and speed of Green/Hylton will improve our defense I hope. I'm just worried about speed on Defense and 3 point shooting like you mentioned. Hopefully Nixon can find her form again or maybe someone like Green or Sahara Jones can come in and provide some improved outside shooting. Hopefully besides Barker/Bowles/Patty stretching the floor, which however will open up driving lanes.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yeah - I can see this as well. Coach Taylor mentioned this, too. Lots of inexperience, but we will just have to see how they compete. I think with Roby and Patty and Nixon, we have a good core base, but I do agree that we will have to wait to see how they gel. We have some super talented kids coming in and that has me excited!
greg.w.h
AG
New coach…new story arc.
giggitygigem
I hear the staff is opening up 2 more roster spots after the departure of Oxendine, I would think it's M. Green and K. Perry that are on the way out. I think it's more about what the staff wants to do and the matchup. Nixon/ bowles/ Jones/ Barker/ Patty is probably my favorite lineup as of today, I know Joni likes to play multi-positional defenders and I don't mind anybody besides Nixon on any switches. It allows everybody to do what they do best; maximizes Jones' skillset as an athletic slasher, driver even if she doesn't develop 3PT consistency, keeps Patty off the perimeter and allows her to do more in the paint, gives Barker the opportunity to get the ball with space wherever she wants, lets Nixon be on or off ball as Bowles and Barker gain the trust of the coaching staff to be the decision makers for certain sets. The surplus of point guards is an interesting storyline with of course Nixon and both Greens( maybe) held over, + Hylton and Petticord coming in. Barker on the wing is a bit presumptuous to me as she seems to be more of a super stretchy 4 in skillset but will play some three against the bigger teams. That kind of base lineup allows us to sub almost anybody out for anybody and still be effective on both ends of the floor. Sliding everyone down and subbing Roby for Nixon allows you to go big or sliding everyone up and subbing Patty for one of the greens to go "small". Eriny Kindred is an interesting piece on the roster as a 3&D G/W as needed, ran track in high school and I know she'll like the 7 seconds or less offense Joni had the dawgs playing last season. I think moving forward you'll see Joni & Co. attack size on the recruiting trail as the future of the backcourt is kinda sewn up and Patty&Roby(maybe) will be moving on after this season. Still hoping Jillian Hollingshead transfers in from UGA. *fingers crossed*
lbasham
AG
M. Green has been very vocal in support of Coach Taylor and has her Aggie ring. The Eagle had an article quoting Taylor that all of Blair players were staying and then Oxendine hits the portal.. Who knows?
Scarborough Ag
giggitygigem
Just because they chose to stay doesn't mean she wants to keep them.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Would that leave 3 open spots now?
alamoaggie64
AG
They will be young but have a really good recruiting class coming in.
giggitygigem
Yes, BUT a full roster makes it harder to recruit and almost guarantees some unhappiness from the very end of the bench. I could live with that roster of 12 but we could probably use another 5'10-6'1" G/W multipositional defender off the bench. With all the girls in the portal I'm sure Newton and or Joni have a pool of players in mind that they've established relationships with in the past, they'd just have to reel one in.
alamoaggie64
AG
I hope you are feeling better after the recent commits/signings.
Rudybryan
giggitygigem said:

Yes, BUT a full roster makes it harder to recruit and almost guarantees some unhappiness from the very end of the bench. I could live with that roster of 12 but we could probably use another 5'10-6'1" G/W multipositional defender off the bench. With all the girls in the portal I'm sure Newton and or Joni have a pool of players in mind that they've established relationships with in the past, they'd just have to reel one in.
You need a full roster for the what if factor......injuries,,,,,,also they are a major player in interteam gams getting the starters ready
giggitygigem
This post was made after the recent signings, I mentioned all the recent signings in the post. The SEC is not a conference where relying on youth and inexperience bodes well for success. That being said there is a nice core of experienced players in Nixon, Patty, and Roby. Behind them is a second group of player sim McKinzie Green, Jones, and Johnson who have over 300 career minutes and then everybody else. On top of that everybody will be learning a new system, coaching style, practice schedule, it's a whole new program. I'll be frank, I'm a hope for the best prepare for the worst type. I don't see a path for Hylton to start because there are too many PGs in the way for her to climb the depth chart, but there is a legitimate possibility that Barker and or Bowles start early and often for the Lady Aggs. Growing pains for the youth will pay off in the long run and they both know how to be productive in the flow of the offense without being the star of it. There will be some ugly moments in conference play though, because the SEC doesn't mess around. All that production leaving just spells trouble as Coach Taylor and Co try to rebuild the roster as they would like.
giggitygigem
That's true, the roster was only at 14 last year and those two extra players didn't seem to make too much of a difference. I did say however that I'd like to see 6'5" SO Jillian Hollingshead come out of the portal to A&M from UGA, a 5'10-6-2" atheltic wing who can hit C/S 3s and be a multipositional defender, and-or Gabby Connaly. That would be my dream scenario and would bring us to 15. They'll have some GAs that the players will practice against too and you can still do a 5 on 5 with 2 on the bench without those 3 additions. I did say I'm sure the staff has a pool of players in the portal that they've contacted and are waiting to hear back from. I however could live with this 12 I think it's a nice group.
aggiedrjdub
AG
greg.w.h
AG
No one knows. They can only look at returning talent and then put a thumb on the scale based on incoming and coach changes. I would have predicted us around 8 or 9. But it's just opinion…unless you bet based on it then that's stupid.
giggitygigem
Hopefully get an official roster in the next few weeks but right now this is what we're working with.

Seniors
  • McKinzie Green PG 5'6"
  • Jordan Nixon G 5'8"
  • Aaliyah Patty F 6'3"
  • Sydnee Roby C 6'3"

Juniors
  • KayKay Green PG 5'6"
  • Sahara Jones W 6'0"
  • Maliyah Johnson F 6'3"

Sophomores
  • Eriny Kindred W 5'10"
  • Jada Malone C 6'3"

Freshmen
  • Tineya Hylton PG 5'7"
  • Mya Petticord G 5'8"
  • Janiah Barker F 6'2"
  • Sydney Bowles W 6'0"

PG: 3
G: 2
W: 3
F: 3
C: 2
Total: 13

What do you think of this roster and who would you start ?
aggiedrjdub
AG
giggitygigem said:

Hopefully get an official roster in the next few weeks but right now this is what we're working with.

Seniors
  • McKinzie Green PG 5'6"
  • Jordan Nixon G 5'8"
  • Aaliyah Patty F 6'3"
  • Sydnee Roby C 6'3"

Juniors
  • KayKay Green PG 5'6"
  • Sahara Jones W 6'0"
  • Maliyah Johnson F 6'3"

Sophomores
  • Eriny Kindred W 5'10"
  • Jada Malone C 6'3"

Freshmen
  • Tineya Hylton PG 5'7"
  • Mya Petticord G 5'8"
  • Janiah Barker F 6'2"
  • Sydney Bowles W 6'0"

PG: 3
G: 2
W: 3
F: 3
C: 2
Total: 13

What do you think of this roster and who would you start ?

Tineya, Jordan, Aaliyah, Janiah, Sydney Bowles

But, Geesh, IDK. LOTS of young talent. I think we can go 8-9 deep.

If Roby can control her fouls, she has the best touch around the basket that I've seen from a 5 in a while. She gets a little too aggressive at times.
Ag4eva95
Thanks for writing this out, I still think there are some holes as far as pure scorers. As much as Barker and Bowels will contribute, I'm a little hesitant to rely on freshmen for major points. But it's something to grow off of!

My starting lineup:
PG: Nixon
SG: Jones
SF: Barker
PF: Patty
C: Roby

Major minutes:
Bowels
Malone
Hylton
Johnson
Green

Not sure we can go 10 deep, but I think there is a solid 7-8 person rotation there.
giggitygigem
cbmik95 said:

Thanks for writing this out, I still think there are some holes as far as pure scorers. As much as Barker and Bowels will contribute, I'm a little hesitant to rely on freshmen for major points. But it's something to grow off of!

My starting lineup:
PG: Nixon
SG: Jones
SF: Barker
PF: Patty
C: Roby

Major minutes:
Bowels
Malone
Hylton
Johnson
Green

Not sure we can go 10 deep, but I think there is a solid 7-8 person rotation there.
I understand the want to go big in the base offense but you're putting a lot of faith in Barker's scoring and defense on the perimeter and limiting her ability in the paint, where she's most effective. You're essentially putting her on the floor with 3 non shooters. I don't hate the lineup if Jones improves mightily as a shooter(5/19 in her career) and ball handler. Even better if Patty can recreate the shooting she displayed in her final season in Columbus (14/37) Barker is more of a 4/5 than a 3/4(think KG) so putting her on the floor with Roby and Patty in the base offense seems to be a stretch. We'll probably see a lineup like that against South Carolina and Tennessee but I doubt that will be the starting lineup

I think the only pure scorers outside of Nixon are the Trio of incoming freshman. Don't sleep on Petticord(Leader in PPG on the Adidas Circuit last summer at 28 PPG)

PG: Nixon: primary ball handler it's finally her show to run
SG: Bowles: secondary ball handler floor spacer, coming off screens PnRing at times won't be able to leave heron the perimeter to focus on Nixon, she will make you pay
SF: Jones: PURE ENERGY drawing the toughest perimeter matchup on defense: Horston, Cooke etc.
using her athleticism on offense to score and be a cutter screener and hopefully a short roll facilitator
PF: Barker: she's going to do everything PnRoll, PnPop, short roll facilitation(Joni loves high low) patrol the paint so Roby can focus on the rim she'll pileup blocks and rebounds too
C: Roby: be ready for the ball box out and block everything that comes into the paint

you can sub Roby for Patty for more versatility or even for another guard and let Jones play some 4 which she did do a little last season Barker can play with any of the bigs because she can do all the things bigs do Plus shooting. Wouldn't be surprised to see Joni rely on the players she recruited for her system moreso than others

aggiedrjdub
AG
I can get on board with this!
aggiedrjdub
AG
I like this, too lol

I think both Sahara Jones and Maliyah Johnson will contribute this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.