Sydney Bowles commits!!!

5,384 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by giggitygigem
JimbosNattyTrophy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shoutout to aggiedrjdub for being the first to post this on another thread, but figured it needed it's own because this is a huge get!! Top 50 wing who was committed to Joni at UGA. Reminds me a lot of Kayla Wells with a higher ceiling!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcjY_4VuDEC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Anchorhold
WHOOP
aggiedrjdub
AG
Let's hope Barker is next. What a great day for our program already!
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
taylorswift13
fitzwatema
aggieFann
Oh this is a great pickup!!
I actually got to see her play in person this year and her ceiling is very high.
AggieSports
AG
WHOOOOOP!!!! Welcome to Aggieland, Sydney!!! So excited by this!!
Aggie1188
Some highlights of her. She looks fantastic.

Bucketrunner
Great news!
taylorswift13
AG
The main thing I get from that video is that she's fearless and plays with a certain confidence and swagger, sorta like you don't belong on the court as me and I'm gonna get a bucket each time the ball touches my hand... We've been needing that on this team since forever. These are the players you build your team around! And Janiah Barker is like this even more so!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Agree - so with barker not committed yet (at least publicly) does that leave 2 scholarships?

wonder why we are not getting any press conferences introducing coaches and talking about incoming players? So far just an article. Maybe it will come.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
greg.w.h
AG
I'm excited to see how all of this turns out. Am very interested how Coach molds the old and new into a championship-caliber team!!!
AggieSports
AG
greg.w.h said:

I'm excited to see how all of this turns out. Am very interested how Coach molds the old and new into a championship-caliber team!!!

Same here!! So excited for this new era of Aggie WBB!!
BaileyJ2674
czar_iv
giggitygigem
Board of regents has to approve salaries but from move in day for the girls to talkin season we'll probably get some sort of media coverage. Coach Karen Lange who was on her staff at UGA is headed to Duke, looks like Chelsea Newton and Robert Moseley will be on the staff. There's spots to fill on the staff and 1 on the roster now. Joni may get some more staff with those AggieDollars. There will probably be one media conference introducing the entire staff. As far as the roster, there will be some competition in the summer with some blue chips coming in. It'll be October before you know it, but still not soon enough.
giggitygigem
I just noticed that the scouting services ESPN has been using since the 2021 season is handing out less 5 stars per class than the previous regime, handing out 21 in the 2022 class and 15 from the 2021 class.

Jordan Nixon was #38 in the class of 2019 and was a 5 star recruit. KayKay Green was #48 in the class of 2020 and was a 5 star recruit as well.

Bowles didn't make the MCDAAG(26 in voting with the cutoff being 24) or Jordan Brand Classic but she is ranked #37.

She's got a quick and high release point on her shot but can navigate her way to the rim with agility and power. She seems slippery, for lack of better word. There's a certain smoothness to her game that you don't often see from ball handlers, especially at her size, but the footwork looks great too which is even farther from what you would expect. I've seen highlights of stepbacks, dribble pull-ups, and full court dimes. She also seems to have a very good relationship with physical defense, applying it on one side of the ball and weathering it on the other.

I've seen her called savvy, agile, and one of the best shot makers on the class. She can play fast paced but knows how to play with pace and patience. I've seen comparisons to Carmelo Anthony and Maya Moore.

She may have been in the shadow of top recruits during her summer ball days but she shined in her high school seasons, leading her team to wins over some tough teams in and out of the state of Georgia. Her high school team beat 3 state champions this season and beat Sania Feagin- led reigning 6A state champions Forest Park 3 out of 3 times in 2021, the last being for their first 5A state championship.

We know what Janiah Barker brings to the table as the #3 overall recruit but Bowles is the perfect partner for her. Janiah Barker and Sydney Bowles might have locked up the 3 and 4 spot for the next four years.
AggieSports
AG
Great analysis, Giggity! Our future looks very bright! Can't wait to see how our team shapes up next season and beyond. Exciting times!
trackaggie76
AG
I like the changes and the look so far!
greg.w.h
AG
AggieSports said:

Great analysis, Giggity! Our future looks very bright! Can't wait to see how our team shapes up next season and beyond. Exciting times!
Roy coy
AG
What position does she play? I know I read somewhere Joni Offense like for her players to be multi positional. This girl looks like she could play all 5 positions. But how do you put her inside when she can seamlessly beat her man and get to the hole whenever she wants.

I went to New Orleans on the Bayou tourney a few months ago and saw Nike Elite Team play 3x. They have a really good point guard (was told she was #2 PG in the country) and they had a few other nice pieces. The whole team was stacked and had multiple MCDAA so they had more talent than anybody there.

But nothing jumped out (other than the PG) like Sydney she could take over a game and score from anywhere on the floor.
giggitygigem
Bowles will most likely play the 2/3 in Joni's offense depending on the matchup and lineup. You could see her play the 3 w/ two smaller guards and 2 bigs, or play the 2 w/ Sahara at the 3 and 2 bigs. I do think Sahara Sydney and Janiah on the floor together is going to be a lot of fun to watch. That's a lot of size skill and athleticism at you 2-4 spots. The roster has a lot of PGs so I would be surprised to see her play it at all. Joni could, however, put the ball in her or Barker's hands late in games and let them get buckets. I would hope to see some Bowles/Barker PnR/PnP early and often. Chances are you saw KK Arnold for All-Iowa, a team that is always pretty stacked, she's a shifty PG w/ a mature understanding of pace committed to UConn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.