Questions answered

3,512 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudybryan
AggieSports
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This article answers lots of questions that many of us have had…
1. Darius is staying with the Dream
2. All of our players are returning (which I think speaks volumes about Coach Taylor)
3. Staff members have been hired but can't be announced until paperwork is finalized
4. Mya Petticord (point guard) will be joining our program even though our two other signees chose to transfer
5. Tineya Hylton was class of '21 originally but chose to reclassify to '22 due to Covid. That makes a little more sense as to why she joined the Georgia program at the end of December.

https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/womens_basketball/texas-a-m-womens-basketball-coach-joni-taylor-settling-into-new-job/article_fe3275d8-bdde-11ec-a2d1-df9c0e866a98.html
taylorswift13
AG
Looks like she plans on adding 3 more roster spots as well! Will be interesting to see how that unfolds!
AggieSports
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Looks like she plans on adding 3 more roster spots as well! Will be interesting to see how that unfolds!

It sure will!! Hoping Barker will be one of those 3 roster additions. Wonder who else will be coming in for a visit? Can't wait to find out!
aggiedrjdub
AG
So,..official visits over the next few weekends. That may be way Barker is here. They really are moving in silence, but they are moving! I really like that for this administration and staff.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I have to be honest, I am SHOCKED we don't have anyone in the portal. That's kind of amazing.
Gap
AG
I believe there is a 15 scholarship limit in NCAA women's basketball. Looks like we know 13 of them so far and I'm not sure if the covid rules still allow us to go over the 15 limit.

Guards:
McKinzie Green
Jordan Nixon
Sahara Jones
Kay Kay Green
Eriny Kindred
Keslynn Oxendine

Forwards/Centers:
Aaliyah Patty
Sydnee Roby
Jada Malone
MJ Johnson
Kenyal Perry

Recruits:
Mya Petticord - G

Transfers:
Tineya Hylton - (Georgia) - G
aggiedrjdub
AG
Is Barker a post or a forward (I realize we now have a coach that coaches position-less basketball). Taylor mentioned she is the #1 post in the country, but I've recently watched her in the McDonald's AA game and additional film and WOW. She is incredible. Looks like she can play anywhere, which would be a huge score for coach Taylor.
taylorswift13
AG
I believe the term is Point Forward (ala Magic Johnson)... she's a big who can dribble and run the court! Maybe get Aaliyah Boston and other posts out of the paint for us!
aggiedrjdub
AG
When I watched her, she made it look so easy. I realize we see highlights, but she was so smooth. What a talent! An athlete like her could really open the back side for Patty next season. I like our options and our chances if somehow we can sign Barker!
fitzwatema
AG
Barker would be a huge get allowing for a greater paint presence with a big that can also run the floor, something this team has not had in a while. Good to hear that the team is working out and getting used to Coach Taylor and her staff. I am anxiously waiting to see what Coach Taylor's staff looks like. Keeping my fingers crossed that Coach Taylor can land 3 talented and experienced transfers to get some immediate help!
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
I was at the Girls Nike EYBL tournament last summer in Georgia and Barker was by far the most impressive player in that tournament. Offensively, she's as good as it comes. But on the DEFENSIVE end she's going to come in and be the best defender we've had in years. Unreal.
aggiedrjdub
AG
We are going to have quite a few point guards...McKinzie, KayKay, Tineya, and Mya...should be an interesting battle!
lbasham
AG
No specific positions in Coach Taylor's offense. It is always good to have ball handlers.
Scarborough Ag
aggiedrjdub
AG
Okay - I have some questions about that. Would we still recruit a true post? Tall? 6'5+ that plays in the paint? How do you combat the height at Tennessee and South Carolina if not?
lbasham
AG
Our men play this way. It is always good to have height on the roster to combat defensively when another team goes Big". It is a plus if the person has an average to above average offensive game, but as Buzz said, you have to be able to box out, no matter the size of the player or area they are assigned to. With good post coaching, I feel Perry, Patty, Johnson , Malone and especially Roby, can be serviceable at both ends of the court. Boston in an exception in that she can play outside and inside very well. This is my 2 cents worth and my humble opinion.
Scarborough Ag
aggiedrjdub
AG
Makes sense. This is the new way!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
AggieSports
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

WHOOOOOP!!!! Welcome aboard!!
Aceswimmer09
Are these two assistant coaches good? What do we know about them?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Anyone have any leads on who the last few pieces of the puzzle might be? It looks like we have one more scholarship available. Coach Taylor mentioned we would have official visits last weekend and this weekend. @taylor - keep your eye out for us haha
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
Director of Ops Christina Richardson is back in DC today. She came forme George Washington so it wouldn't surprise me to see her going back, or maybe she's just on vacation.
giggitygigem
Coach Mosley will coach the post players and Coach Newton is a great recruiter and mentor of the game for the perimeter players as associate head coach. Here's some full bios.

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/04/21/taylor-adds-robert-mosley-womens-basketball-staff/

https://12thman.com/news/2022/4/20/womens-basketball-chelsea-newton-joins-womens-basketball-staff.aspx
giggitygigem
Check out Jillian Hollingshead she's in that 21' class for Joni at UGA skilled 6'5" forward. Played sparingly her freshman year due to injury, but is a MCDAA. Would give the team some much needed size.
aggiedrjdub
AG
We'll come on down Jillian lol
lbasham
AG
I believe we are now full and at 15, unless Patty graduates and becomes a 5th year grad student. By my account we have: Patty, Nixon who is in her 4th year of eligibility, Roby, Jones, Perry, M. Green, K. Green, Oxendine, Johnson, Malone and Kindred from last year. Then you have 1 Blair recruit in Petacord, plus Hyelton, Bowles and Barker for a total of 15.

This is a good mix of players that Coach Taylor can mold into a very good team.

NVM as Oxendine enters the portal. One ship left now.
Scarborough Ag
aggiedrjdub
AG
Looks like coach Brown has moved on to UCF.
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

Looks like coach Brown has moved on to UCF.
Greg Brown joined the UCF women's basketball staff as an assistant coach in April 2007 and was elevated to associate head coach in June 2009. He will be entering his fifth season on Joi Williams' staff in 2011-12.

In 2008-09, Brown was a key member of the staff as UCF went 11-5 in Conference USA play and won the C-USA tournament title. His work with scouting and game preparation helped the Knights win four games in four days to win the title.

He was there before he was here.......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.