Gia Cooke decommits

3,568 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudybryan
JimbosNattyTrophy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Second one after Bri McDaniel. Not surprised at all, I'm excited to see what Joni has in store.
RhodeAg
AG
Yes...a 2nd Top 60 nationally ranked recruit has decommitted. Didn't need her either. I'm sure Coach Taylor is thrilled. One recruit left to go...a Top 90. Then Joni can start with a clean slate. I'm psyched.
Don't take life too seriously...no one gets out alive.
Anchorhold
Good luck to her until she inevitably faces the aggies.
aggiedrjdub
AG
It looks like a lot of players commit to the coach and not necessarily the school. It looks like Georgia's new coach pulled 2 of her starters from her previous school out of the portal and into Georgia, as well.
RhodeAg
AG
True that. I think it's been like that forever...just really noticeable today.

Just wish we had recruited players in Texas. We would have a better chance of retaining them.
Anchorhold
only six of fifteen players on our 20-21 team were from Texas.
Bucketrunner
Happens with every coaching change. We are fortunate to have had stability with a Hall of Fame coach for many years. We're just now seeing what other schools have been dealing with.

We will survive and prosper. The young lady will be educated elsewhere without the Aggie network . Life goes on.
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
RhodeAg said:

Yes...a 2nd Top 60 nationally ranked recruit has decommitted. Didn't need her either. I'm sure Coach Taylor is thrilled. One recruit left to go...a Top 90. Then Joni can start with a clean slate. I'm psyched.
BQ_90
AG
RhodeAg said:

What did you expect. This is what happens when you change coaches.
RhodeAg
AG
My expectation?

Given that it was well known for a year, that our three recruits knew that there would be a new coach. That it wouldn't necessarily be Kelly Bond-White.

Were they told initially that Kelly would be the coach? What was the point of recruiting kids from Michigan, Illinois and Maryland if they would simply bail if it wasn:t Kelly?

What was Gary's strategy? Surely he wanted to leave something good for the next coach. His legacy is his program.

Seems everybody here is completely fine with losing an entire recruiting class of Top 100 players. I find that remarkable. It's as if our new coach will wave a magic wand and all will be well.

All that time and money spent recruiting the three, just to see it all go out the window. Maybe we should have been better served recruiting Texas girls who actually know something Texas A&M...and might stay regardless of coach.

Were our AD and Gary on the same page? I don't see how. We tanked Gary's final season and now this.

I hope Joni Taylor is a miracle worker.
BQ_90
AG
Show me any post where anyone has said they are happy that the recruits are decomitting?

I don't remember when signing day was and when Gary announced he was retiring so I doubt anyone here knows who was told what about the next coach when these players signed.

I think most of us expected these decommits because KBW was your main recruiter. Facts are kids commit to coaches not schools.

Again let's see who Joni brings in, maybe she does wave magic wand or maybe we get better players in the portal. IMO we need immediate help, not unproven HS players. There are ton of players in the portal.

Kbeauty63
AG
BQ_90 said:

Show me any post where anyone has said they are happy that the recruits are decomitting?

I don't remember when signing day was and when Gary announced he was retiring so I doubt anyone here knows who was told what about the next coach when these players signed.

I think most of us expected these decommits because KBW was your main recruiter. Facts are kids commit to coaches not schools.

Again let's see who Joni brings in, maybe she does wave magic wand or maybe we get better players in the portal. IMO we need immediate help, not unproven HS players. There are ton of players in the portal.

Actually Coach Blair did say the 3 commits were told he was retiring before National signing day. And I will reiterate what I said earlier - they may meet with Coach Taylor & re-commit. Or Coach Taylor may not think their skill set works for her. We have to give her a chance to build her teams - coaching and players!
aggiedrjdub
AG
I may be wrong, but if the players have de-committed they have more than likely already heard from coach Taylor and decided that it was in their best interest to move on, or they realize their skills sets don't match coach Taylor's needs. Look for 2 of the 3 KBW recruits to head in KBW's direction. I have a feeling we will hear from some pretty solid recruits soon, and that her coaching staff will also fall into place around the same time.
BQ92
AG
Except the program status isn't quite the same. Wouldn't surprise me to have one go with KBW but think it is more likely go somewhere in a P5
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
Cooke has also found her new home at Maryland along with McDaniel. Freeze is filling in those transfer spots I guess.
aggiebrad94
AG
RhodeAg said:

My expectation?

Given that it was well known for a year, that our three recruits knew that there would be a new coach. That it wouldn't necessarily be Kelly Bond-White.

Were they told initially that Kelly would be the coach? What was the point of recruiting kids from Michigan, Illinois and Maryland if they would simply bail if it wasn:t Kelly?

What was Gary's strategy? Surely he wanted to leave something good for the next coach. His legacy is his program.

Seems everybody here is completely fine with losing an entire recruiting class of Top 100 players. I find that remarkable. It's as if our new coach will wave a magic wand and all will be well.

All that time and money spent recruiting the three, just to see it all go out the window. Maybe we should have been better served recruiting Texas girls who actually know something Texas A&M...and might stay regardless of coach.

Were our AD and Gary on the same page? I don't see how. We tanked Gary's final season and now this.

I hope Joni Taylor is a miracle worker.
Maybe you should read your own signature.
RhodeAg
AG
It's amazing how many snarkey remarks come back at you.

I just had some questions. I happen follow Aggie Lady's basketball more than...baseball. I thought Gary did such an amazing job to get us where he did...except in his final year.

Yeah...I don't take life too seriously...as none of us get out alive. I happen to take Aggie Women's basketball a bit seriously.

How on Earth we received three players from so far away...just to lose them in an instant when we don't hire Kelly Bond-White. Shouldn't someone have foreseen that possibility?

I know...trust Joni Taylor (even though none of us know squat about her). Her press conference was very good...can see why the A.D. hired her. But...we just tanked really badly in Gary's final...can't believe how are players gave up...especially after Buzz's guys did just the opposite.

We finished 4-12 in the SEC...14-15 overall. Good God. Hope Nixon comes back...she is a true difference-maker...but she seemed disinterested as the season went on.

Well...we can hope the transfer portal helps us a lot. That's where it will likely be. Haven't heard of any Georgia players looking to be an Aggie...and the Aggie freshman class, a very good one, looks gone. It is nonsense to claim that these three players perhaps so opted out because they didn't 'fit into Joni's scheme' so she she is not unhappy about losing them.

I'm sure she'd love to have all three.

Oh well...it will be very interesting to see Joni build her team. I was a bit surprised to see there seemed no anguish by Georgia fans at losing Joni. Not sure what that is all about.
BQ_90
AG
I'm sorry but when you post stuff like this you're gonna get snarky replies.

Quote:

How on Earth we received three players from so far away...just to lose them in an instant when we don't hire Kelly Bond-White. Shouldn't someone have foreseen that possibility?
What do you think should have been foreseen? Who do you think should have foreseen this? The recruits where told that Gary was leaving, unless we lied to them and said KBW was going to be hired and they signed based on that info, but I don't think we said that to them. So they still committed knowing that we had not hired new coach.

So now they are de-committing because of coaching change. That's the risk in changing coaches, you have the potential of losing a recruiting class.

It's something none of us like, but that's the price of coaching change.

aggiedrjdub
AG
Looks like coach Taylor's associate head coach at Georgia was just hired at Duke.
Rudybryan
RhodeAg said:

It's amazing how many snarkey remarks come back at you.

I just had some questions. I happen follow Aggie Lady's basketball more than...baseball. I thought Gary did such an amazing job to get us where he did...except in his final year.

Yeah...I don't take life too seriously...as none of us get out alive. I happen to take Aggie Women's basketball a bit seriously.

I know...trust Joni Taylor (even though none of us know squat about her). Her press conference was very good...can see why the A.D. hired her. But...we just tanked really badly in Gary's final...can't believe how are players gave up...especially after Buzz's guys did just the opposite.

We finished 4-12 in the SEC...14-15 overall. Good God. Hope Nixon comes back...she is a true difference-maker...but she seemed disinterested as the season went on.

Well...we can hope the transfer portal helps us a lot. That's where it will likely be. Haven't heard of any Georgia players looking to be an Aggie...and the Aggie freshman class, a very good one, looks gone. It is nonsense to claim that these three players perhaps so opted out because they didn't 'fit into Joni's scheme' so she she is not unhappy about losing them.

I'm sure she'd love to have all three.

Oh well...it will be very interesting to see Joni build her team. I was a bit surprised to see there seemed no anguish by Georgia fans at losing Joni. Not sure what that is all about.
Here's another example of transfer portal - Ky won the SEC Championship this last year....they have same coach....they lost all 5 starters 1 Howard to WNBA other 4 to transfer portal.......there ar over 1,000 kids that filed for the transfer portal ( there are 365 teams in Div 1 up 16 players per team = 5,840 so it works out to about 20% of the basketball players are in the portal -------so who do you blame - noone - it's the new way of life)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.