Vaccine or negative Covid test required to go to SEC Women's Basketball tournament

2,447 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by turboboost
TexasMom
How long do you want to ignore this user?

For everyone 12 and up. I was hoping to go this next year, but I'm not getting a Covid shot under any circumstances. I also don't want to spend time and money traveling to Nashville and then get a positive Covid test result and can't go in the arena. I attended the tournaments in Little Rock and Jacksonville and had a blast. Does this change anyone else's plans to attend?
Gap
AG
Which Covid shot do they require? The one that is just out currently to address the Delta variant or the next Covid shot in the pipeline that will address the variant the will be prevalent 5 months from now?
lilsportag02
AG
I'm glad they are implementing this policy. I'm vaccinated and feel more comfortable being around those that have taken the same safety precautions. I will most certainly be attending and will be wearing a mask.
taylorswift13
AG
Nope not at all! Your loss!
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

Which Covid shot do they require? The one that is just out currently to address the Delta variant or the next Covid shot in the pipeline that will address the variant the will be prevalent 5 months from now?

https://news.yahoo.com/why-covid-boosters-werent-tweaked-152330064.html
greg.w.h
AG
I will note the vaccines only provide safety for those who take them and at one time in the summer Pfizer was found to be only 42% effective against contracting covid so it does very little to limit spread. Protects against hospitalization and reduces those by as much as 1/10 v. unvaccinated confirmed cases.

Normally a vaccine wouldn't be approved that is less than 50% effective, so the FDA has tuned that expectation based on the prophylaxis of the current vaccines against worst outcomes. The boosters are an effort to refurbish, so to speak, protections for older folks or with already compromised immune systems.

But the vaccine really does not protect others but if you're vaccinated especially if you are older it mitigates against worst outcomes.

If you get symptoms Remdesivir is a very effective dual monoclonal antibody treatment that must be taken in the first ten days. I recommend the unvaccinated seek that treatment under doctor care since it reduces hospitalization an additional 70% among both populations once a case is confirmed.

Had a couple who are friends go through a really rough patch. She's my age (same high school graduation class) and he's a bit older. She got the infusion and he didn't and he ended up on oxygen for an extended period in the hospital and she was in and out of it.

Every person will make his or her own choice. But choose with knowledge.

Bucketrunner
We have had the vaccine, but we would not attend based on that fact. To each his own.
lilsportag02
AG
If they "check" for negative COVID test or vaccine like the wnba playoffs did this weekend then ANYBODY can get in no matter their status. The people they have for this job don't take the time nor enforce their own rules unfortunately. At this point it's nothing but a political statement.
Rudybryan
Just want to know if I am suppose to come to terms with the fact that from now until the day I die I will be governed by wearing a mask on all airlines.....showing papers/test to enter a building.....and what really grabs my ass is that Congress is exempt.

We are playing SEC football in stadiums with over 100,000 people and they don't have to have vaccine reports or covid test v- why do we in a SEC BB tournament.......do you for one minute think they will screen over 100,000 people for the bowl and championship games in football.
lilsportag02
AG
This is the argument…Football is outdoor. Basketball is indoor. Ventilation matters.
Not that I agree with it, esp since there are so many people packed into the football stadiums.
Bucketrunner
Hit them in the pocketbook Worked for football. We celebrated, yelled, sawed horns off, and sat closely with 100,000 of our closest friends at Kyle several times this year. No masks. No Covid spike. It's all kabuki theater
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think this is something we will have to circle back around to closer to the actual event.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Rudybryan
What I do know is that people in section 121 ( behind team bench - they have a the area blocked so you have to enter from the top you can't get their from the bottom.).......also their is the area behind visitor bench that's blocked the same.

So far that's the only changes I've heard
Bucketrunner
No entry from the bottom at all anywhere? Surely not. That would eliminate a lot of the season tickets holders being able to get to their seats
Rudybryan
Bucketrunner said:

No entry from the bottom at all anywhere? Surely not. That would eliminate a lot of the season tickets holders being able to get to their seats
That not what I said - I said if you are sec 121 you will have to enter from the top......elevator and bathroom are back --------just the bottom is blocked from aisle between 122/123 (behind vistors bench all the way across to end of our team bench
Bucketrunner
Weird.
Rudybryan
Bucketrunner said:

Weird.
In their minds - They are establishing a safe space between you and the team...........
Bucketrunner
Because we all know college students are still living in a bubble. Smh
TexasMom
A side trail here - but maybe some of you know the answer. Do colleges and conferences make so much money from ads and other television revenue that actual attendance numbers aren't that important in terms of finances? I'm curious about professional teams as well.
greg.w.h
AG
TexasMom said:

A side trail here - but maybe some of you know the answer. Do colleges and conferences make so much money from ads and other television revenue that actual attendance numbers aren't that important in terms of finances? I'm curious about professional teams as well.
Title IX forces essentially equivalent spend on women's sports as men's. So in theory no attendance is required before more men's sports get the axe…as well as more women's sports if income is impinged enough.

The schools have focused on re-opening football and hoping the disease goes past pandemic to endemic where we just deal with it. High vaccination rates help avoid hospitalization and deaths among the oldest and those with comorbidities that predict worst outcomes.
Thymes
Good
Rudybryan
QUESTION hOW DOES AN UNVACCINATED PERSON WHO IS COVID NEGATIVE GIVE THE DISEASE TO A VACCINATED PERSON....they don't

further, if you are covid positive you can pass the bug to anyone.......

Common question
Can you get COVID-19 after being vaccinated?

Vaccinated people can still become infected and have the potential spread the virus to others, although at much lower rates than unvaccinated people. The risks of SARS-CoV-2 infection in fully vaccinated people are higher where community transmission of the virus is widespread.

TexasMom
The requirement for proof of vaccination has been dropped by Bridgestone Arena. I'm so excited!
greg.w.h
AG
Rudybryan said:

QUESTION hOW DOES AN UNVACCINATED PERSON WHO IS COVID NEGATIVE GIVE THE DISEASE TO A VACCINATED PERSON....they don't

further, if you are covid positive you can pass the bug to anyone.......

Common question
Can you get COVID-19 after being vaccinated?

Vaccinated people can still become infected and have the potential spread the virus to others, although at much lower rates than unvaccinated people. The risks of SARS-CoV-2 infection in fully vaccinated people are higher where community transmission of the virus is widespread.

The effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine was down to 42% in studies this summer which suggests it results in PCR detectably infection at nearly a 60% rate. The viral load in the nose was similar for both vaccinated and unvaccinated in that study. But hospitalizations were about 10% of unvaccinated positives and deaths were less also.

There is a public good in having high vaccination rates in the sense that ObamaCare is subsidized in many situations got those that qualify for support. But the connection is not well explained in part because of concerns the ooor will be blamed.

I think dropping the mandate is very much a responsible approach if local cases are falling rapidly.
turboboost
AG
My allergies are acting up and my allergy medicine isnt working. Everyone else must take allergy medici e in order for mine to work. This inoculation crap is dumb and needs to stop. No reaction... you more than likely to a damn saline shot. Do more research, that concoction is poison.
greg.w.h
AG
turboboost said:

My allergies are acting up and my allergy medicine isnt working. Everyone else must take allergy medici e in order for mine to work. This inoculation crap is dumb and needs to stop. No reaction... you more than likely to a damn saline shot. Do more research, that concoction is poison.
Age and immune system health determines response. Sometimes no response indicates you might have been asymptomatic. Had too many friends in ER or hospital to downplay the vaccine. So I try to carefully give info that is derived from studies that are peer reviewed.

I understand the politics are part of the disease at this point. But Trump's admin paved the way for the cautious approval with no shortcuts. He definitely is on the side of our better angels in doing that.
turboboost
AG
greg.w.h said:

turboboost said:

Age and immune system health determines response. Sometimes no response indicates you might have been asymptomatic. Had too many friends in ER or hospital to downplay the vaccine. So I try to carefully give info that is derived from studies that are peer reviewed.

I understand the politics are part of the disease at this point. But Trump's admin paved the way for the cautious approval with no shortcuts. He definitely is on the side of our better angels in doing that.
Certainly, but when the climate here is to FORCE or DICTATE something on a populace that has a ~95% survival rate, you have to use your own brain to critically think if that poison jab is for you or a family member. I chose correctly and I EMPHASIZE: "CHOICE".
greg.w.h
AG
turboboost said:

greg.w.h said:

turboboost said:

Certainly, but when the climate here is to FORCE or DICTATE something on a populace that has a ~95% survival rate, you have to use your own brain to critically think if that poison jab is for you or a family member. I chose correctly and I EMPHASIZE: "CHOICE".
I think the only time a mandate for a vaccine makes sense is childhood diseases that have relatively stable genome and effectiveness is roughly 70%. We have several examples of how doing that protected broad swaths of population effectively.

These vaccines protect everyone who accepts them with as far as we can tell minimal side effects for almost all. The 68% who have had at least one dose in the US prevented more deaths of especially 75 and up. It isn't exactly a death sentence at that age, but roughly half who are hospitalized have some long Covid symptoms and may have permanent organ damage including neural tissue in the brain leading to memory loss, eyesight, hearing, and especially loss of smell and therefore taste.

Emphasizing the word choice doesn't change those worst outcomes and they do happen.
turboboost
AG
greg.w.h said:

turboboost said:

greg.w.h said:

turboboost said:

I think the only time a mandate for a vaccine makes sense is childhood diseases that have relatively stable hemes and effectiveness is roughly 70%. We have several examples of how doing that protected broad swaths of population effectively.

These vaccines protect everyone who accepts them with as far as we can tell minimal side effects for almost all. The 68% who have had at least one dose in the US prevented more deaths of especially 75 and up. It isn't exactly a death sentence at that age, but roughly half who are hospitalized have some long Covid symptoms and may have permanent organ damage including neural tissue in the brain leading to memory loss, eyesight, hearing, and especially loss of smell and therefore taste.

Emphasizing the word choice doesn't change those worst outcomes and they do happen.
Great points greg, but I do believe you may want to dive a bit deeper into researching VAERS. The injuries are vastly more than what you are being told by the "tell-A-vision". After this comment, I'm done discussing this on TexAgs.

There are saline shots (non-harmful to humans)
There are poison jabs (proof has been released)

This experimental jab is simply a Russian roulette game being played on the public. I hope and pray that you find the time, patience, and desire to dig deeper. The country, your family, and our freedoms depend on each and every one of us to open our minds.

Thanks for the discussion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.