March Madness branding extended to NCAA Women's Div I Basketball Tournsnent

1,085 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My opinion is that it was inevitable because the school presidents are liable for Title IX suits and they control the NCAA. The terrible marketing is a result of media partners spending more effort on men's basketball because it is more ingrained culturally.

If it damages THE primary source of revenue for the NCAA itself and for most of the non-A5 football schools, it will deflate the value of the "Olympic" Sports. I don't think that will affect A5 schools as much, but could lead to loss of more sports if revenue declines even for us.

That's the Debbie Downer part. If better marketing improves flow of money to women's sports it likely results in better standing and more access for women in practically every area of life. I can't tell you how many times I've run into former football players who were promoted into leadership positions for leadership skills they picked up on the gridiron or court or pitch.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ncaa-tournament-march-madness-basketball-11632925775?st=k992cgbvikdgwl0&reflink=article_copyURL_share
Gap
AG
This seems like a distraction that brings nothing substantial. Really, the branding of March Madness being extended doesn't make up for the corrupted NCAA leadership that gave the women playing this sport this at the NCAA Tournament last year as compared to the men.

Dumbbells and yoga mats for the women and a full weight room for the men. The leadership needs to be replaced. Whatever the reforms they are offering now, they were the ones standing in the way of them before today in an attempt to save their jobs. That isn't leadership and they don't belong in the positions.

greg.w.h
AG
The presidents have the power to do that. I doubt this is only going to touch branding. But we don't know more than what has been announced. It was a brand CBS built by the way but owned by the NCAA from what I recall.
Rudybryan
60 years ago Mr Henry Potter coined the term.....then NCAA snatched it

Henry V. Porter

"March Madness," the term used to describe the excitement surrounding the Illinois state high school basketball tournaments, first appeared in print almost sixty years ago. It was coined by Henry V. Porter, who started his career as a teacher and coach at Athens High School in central Illinois. The term "March Madness" was first used in 1939 when Illinois high school official Henry V. Porter referred to the original eight-team tournament by that moniker
greg.w.h
AG
Rudybryan said:

60 years ago Mr Henry Potter coined the term.....then NCAA snatched it

Henry V. Porter

"March Madness," the term used to describe the excitement surrounding the Illinois state high school basketball tournaments, first appeared in print almost sixty years ago. It was coined by Henry V. Porter, who started his career as a teacher and coach at Athens High School in central Illinois. The term "March Madness" was first used in 1939 when Illinois high school official Henry V. Porter referred to the original eight-team tournament by that moniker
https://www.gerbenlaw.com/blog/how-the-ncaa-obtained-the-march-madness-trademark/

https://www.intellectualpropertynews.com/ip-litigation-news/ncaa-pays-172-million-for-march-madness-trademark/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.