Baylor hires Atlanta Dream HC

2,841 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Artimus Gordon
JimbosNattyTrophy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Baylor just mad an A1 hire in my opinion. She was Chennedy's coach was one of the best in the WNBA at a very young age. Great hire. https://es.pn/3tgDfJU
Gap
AG
What makes it an A1 hire? Seems pretty high risk.

Looking at the resume, a college assistant (last job was at Florida Gulf Coast). Before that was at Arkansas where her husband was the head coach.

Was WNBA assistant coach before becoming the head coach of the Atlanta Dream for the last 3 years:

2018: 23-11
2019: 8-26
2020: 7-15

I'm guessing there is a lot more money as a head coach at Baylor as opposed to the WNBA Dream too.
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
I'm pretty sure she's thought of very highly by other coaches around the country..
catfan
After rumors of interest from the Michigan and Georgia head coaches, this is an underwhelming hire.
ColoradoMooseHerd
OP appears to be one of those hyper-negativity towards A&M and overly enthusiastic about others without any facts to support the opinion.
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
Okay buddy
ColoradoMooseHerd
So why is a great hire like you stated?
aggiedrjdub
AG
In terms of recruiting she may come with some advantages. With WNBA experience she may recruit well based on her connections and by convincing athletes she knows how to get them to the league. She's certainly walking into a loaded cupboard, though. She's set up to be successful with the current team. The next few years will be interesting to see how she can compete against Vic.
Gap
AG
Isn't coaching at a prominent college basketball team, a step up from coaching in the WNBA?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Maybe for the coach? I honestly don't know. But playing in the WNBA is a step up from playing in college bc that's how these athletes can get paid.
greg.w.h
AG
The WNBA is a tweener season in the US while most of the players then play a full season internationally. It is trying to grow, but growth is spotty and their marketing is strongly targeted at women and girls since they have been the heart of their fan base so far.

I think Baylor is a better place to develop as a coach, and note that many of the WNBA coaches have been NBA players that appear not to have progressed in the NBA coaching ranks (thinking specifically of Bill Laimbeer.)

I wish her the best for Baylor's sake. Have quite a few cousins and friends who went there. Surprised they didn't have a sit down with Mulkey and iron out differences. But at some point it becomes easier to hire someone more compliant regardless how good.

Artimus Gordon
"Surprised they didn't have a sit down with Mulkey and iron out differences. But at some point it becomes easier to hire someone more compliant regardless how good."

Doubt this would have worked. Mulkey got used to being the big bird of Baylor basketball and got her feathers ruffled at the thought of having to share the podium with coach drew! Thus she took the first opportunity to head home to Louisiana!

Not immediately impressed with this new hire! But she will get more tv exposure at Baylor than she did with the dream!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.