Coach Wright

5,105 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
1980aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heard she got an associate head coach position at a power 5 school. If so congrats to her for the new position.
Anyone heard about this??
aggiedrjdub
AG
Oh shoot when I first read that I thought you said White and I got scared for a minute. Honestly, good for coach Wright. I'm not surprised she's moving on.
fitzwatema
AG
Interesting if it's true and would mean Gary has to replace 2 coaches.
Rudybryan
I recommend Carter and Colson
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
I had a heart attack
aggiedrjdub
AG
Lol me too honestly - shhhhheww
dailygrind
I must be the only one but I think when GB goes we need to get a whole new set of coaches. Been watching this program for a long time and I think we will need to create a fresh environment.
Kbeauty63
AG
dailygrind said:

I must be the only one but I think when GB goes we need to get a whole new set of coaches. Been watching this program for a long time and I think we will need to create a fresh environment.
typically when you get a new Head Coach - that's what happens. THAT is not what is happening NOW.
Wicked Good Ag
I think KBW gets the job when Blair retires

And i have no problem with that...

Get a defensive minded coach who can recruit and in three or four more years pass the torch
DogCompany74
AG
Is Wright leaving confirmed?
If yes , then this seems to be the coaching staff is reacting to Gary only getting a one year extension.
Is Gary basically on a very short leash?
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
aggiedrjdub
AG
I didn't realize he has only been given a one year extension. Has this been announced?
DogCompany74
AG
I have heard from a person who I believe to be closer to the program that GB asked for a five year extension but only got one year.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
cs69ag
AG
I am also good with Syd and Syd! Colson for the O and Carter for the D,
but both could coach either or both. Colson had such quick hands in stealing
the ball the refs thought it had to be a foul. Never forget Carter, known for her D, but our leading scorer
vs bu in Dallas sending us to the Final Four!
aggiedrjdub
AG
DogCompany74 said:

I have heard from a person who I believe to be closer to the program that GB asked for a five year extension but only got one year.
Oh wow - that's interesting.......seems like something might be announced. I honestly don't know what the extensions mean. I guess with 5 years you feel they have more confidence in you? Let's hope he wins the big one this year and leaves no doubts on the table.
Thymes
dailygrind said:

Yeah, we lost only three games last year, so we need to create a fresh environment.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Just saw coach Wright leaving was confirmed. Good luck to her.
GigemD
Blair "allegedly" is Retiring THIS year. Gonna pull a Kyra Elzy for Coach Bond-White's interim role. Players have already been warned.
greg.w.h
AG
The reason multi-year extensions with minimal raises had been given recently is to give the appearance of stability to coaches that were under evaluation for retention. So sometimes worked out like the infamous vote of confidence before the next shoe dropped.

Speculating that if true both could be true: no five-year extension may have led Blair to accepting a one year extension and then repurposing it to get the AD committed to Bond-White. The lack of a longer extension could have motivated Wright to move on. But so could a personal conversation with Blair.

It's unfortunate we are left reading stale tea leaves from an uncleaned cup to glean all of this "information." When the school controls its own press that happens

aggiedrjdub
AG
GigemD said:

Blair "allegedly" is Retiring THIS year. Gonna pull a Kyra Elzy for Coach Bond-White's interim role. Players have already been warned.
WHAT? --- is this insider information or has it been announced somewhere that I'm not seeing?
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
Coach Wright is leaving to be the associate head coach and director of recruiting at Oklahoma! Good for her
fitzwatema
AG
HoovAustin said:

Coach Wright is leaving to be the associate head coach and director of recruiting at Oklahoma! Good for her

The new coach at Oklahoma came from Drake where she did a fantastic job. Good hire for her to get Amy Wright to come on board.
GigemD
Won't be made public till late summer. You're Welcome
aggiedrjdub
AG

aggiedrjdub
AG
Okay but I'm assuming they are in need of coaches to help her out??
Bucketrunner
KBW has always been my choice to replace Blair. She'll find a good support staff.
fitzwatema
AG
I don't mind if that is what they want to do, but it seems like KBW is being put in a rough position unless she already has assistant coaches lined up. With the transfer portal available it could be hard for her to keep the players there.
aggiedrjdub
AG
fitzwatema said:

I don't mind if that is what they want to do, but it seems like KBW is being put in a rough position unless she already has assistant coaches lined up. With the transfer portal available it could be hard for her to keep the players there.

This is my fear. We all know how Tennessee turned on Pat's assistant, Holly. That poor coach couldn't buy a break with a kings ransom.
Gap
AG
Isn't KBW already our most effective recruiter?
Rudybryan
Gap said:

Isn't KBW already our most effective recruiter?
YES plus She also does offense and point guards....their is a ton of difference between the Holly situation and what it would be with KBW
GigemD
GigemD said:

greg.w.h
AG
Blair clearly has an opinion on who should be head coach next. I'm sure he and Bjork will have a fruitful discussion on it and then the school will make a decision. Just have to wait and see.

I would argue a final run should lend weight to Blair's recommendation, but I'm not a fan of coaches dictating hires after they retire. I don't think RC did that and Blair mentioned him fondly during the announcement presser today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.