Bob Starkey

3,989 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiedrjdub
ChampsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where is he going? Retiring?
MsC2012
AG
Auburn
TMartin
Was Starkey hoping Blair would retire?
Rudybryan
TMartin said:

Was Starkey hoping Blair would retire?
No Starkey hads many times been offered head coaching positions.....he doesn't want to be a head coach
Gap
AG
BQ_90
AG
is he lateraling or getting promoted?
aggiedrjdub
AG
What is going on? This seems so weird to me. So our defensive coach is moving to a rival school where he has our entire play book memorized. Something is off here.
Kbeauty63
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

What is going on? This seems so weird to me.
FWIW - I saw him come in on Sunday in a personal car (not a 'dealer's plate' car) with a box. I didn't say anything to him (he didn't give off a good/welcoming vibe) I wish him well and am excited to see who we get
Gap
AG
Sometimes change is good for everyone involved. I appreciate Coach Starkey's time here, but also look forward to seeing who fills that spot as our defensive coach.
aggiedrjdub
AG
agree with this, and i have to be honest, it does seem like there has been some tension between GB and Starkey. he is always praising Bond White (and that's totally fine bc she deserves it), but the last 4-5 games of the season, it really seemed like Starkey just sat on the sidelines and wasn't involved much.
SalesAg13
AG
fitzwatema
AG
Gap said:

Sometimes change is good for everyone involved. I appreciate Coach Starkey's time here, but also look forward to seeing who fills that spot as our defensive coach.
I agree, I hope Coach Blair can go find someone that can get the fire back in the defensive effort of the team. It seems to me that Starkey's defense was really up and down this year and in the tournament it looked like he didn't have an answer to what the other teams' offense was doing.
BQ_90
AG
fitzwatema said:

Gap said:

I agree, I hope Coach Blair can go find someone that can get the fire back in the defensive effort of the team. It seems to me that Starkey's defense was really up and down this year and in the tournament it looked like he didn't have an answer to what the other teams' offense was doing.
I thought his year we played swarm team defense like we did under Vic, but seems like after SC we reverted back to soft defensive team.
Rambotx
aggiedrjdub said:

What is going on? This seems so weird to me. So our defensive coach is moving to a rival school where he has our entire play book memorized. Something is off here.
I wonder if GB is looking to retire soon. This might have influenced the decision. If GB does retire, would Vic leave t.u.to return to Aggieland as head coach?
RGbadger
We need a better recruiter, who can also coach defense.
Bucketrunner
That ship has sailed, thank goodness
cs69ag
AG
GB needs a coach who can coach the D and coach a 5 position player to develop some moves on O and how to make a layup!
dagnor
I'm not sure how many of you followed Aggie Women's Basketball before Gary Blair, my guess is not many! I think Gary has earned the right to choose when he wants to retire and when he does I hope we go with Kelly Bond! Thanks and Gig'em
aggiedrjdub
AG
I followed them and we all agree that GB has been a tremendous builder for our women's programs and women's basketball in general. Having said that, I think it's dangerous to say someone has earned the right to be done when they are ready. I think he could have a few good years left in him, but it's time to start thinking about a transition and getting the best coach we can for the money we are willing to pay. Something seems to be going on internally, so I guess we will see what happens.
rugger74
AG
Seems to me he left to coach with an old friend in Johnnie at Auburn.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I followed them and we all agree that GB has been a tremendous builder for our women's programs and women's basketball in general. Having said that, I think it's dangerous to say someone has earned the right to be done when they are ready. I think he could have a few good years left in him, but it's time to start thinking about a transition and getting the best coach we can for the money we are willing to pay. Something seems to be going on internally, so I guess we will see what happens.
If the admin hasn't thought that GB might retire, they should be replaced!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
aggiedrjdub
AG

Ciera retweeted it
Gap
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Ciera retweeted it
Is something unusual about that? He will always be one of her coaches and mentors.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Probably not. We won't ever really know though. Just thought I'd share.

I'm looking forward to a new defensive coach announcement. Anyone on the inside know if any coaches have been seen interviewing?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.