Sigh. No respect, man, no respect.

1,704 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiedrjdub
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31184173/women-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-uconn-reigns-south-carolina-looms
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Thymes
I thought the write-up was informed and respectful. Ranking is debatable. We will be talented in the backcourt but 4 and 5 is a question mark. I'd like the writer to revisit the issue after Blair mines the transfer portal.
cs69ag
AG
I don't have a problem with it. We traditionally under achieve and dont really develop the 5 position.
We are usually very good at the point and on the perimeter. We have had some very good 4 position players...N'Dea over achieved.
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
When you lose 3 starters, you're likely to drop in the rankings so I have no problem with it. If Gary can go out and land a big name or two in the post, I'd say we're at least Top-15 caliber.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I agree. It's just frustrating. Why can we a perennial top 10 preseason team?
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Wicked Good Ag
Yeah i would much rather be a perennial top 10 preseason team then a top 10 post season team
aggiedrjdub
AG
Why can't we be both?
greg.w.h
AG
Have to have properly spread talent to be highly ranked every preseason. We lost a lot of seniors which was part of how we won so many games this year.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yeah - I understand. It was a good year with tremendous on court leadership. I guess my question is, or my expectation would be that we could be a top 10 team (pre and post season) each season. That is a goal I could stand behind and would love to see A&M accomplish at some point soon.

I saw this article pop up from this time last year and this quote is interesting to me.

"As much as Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork appreciates everything that women's basketball coach Gary Blair has done, he also understands the need to think about what comes next.

Blair delivered a NCAA championship for the Aggies in 2010-11 and won his 800th game this past season. But he's also 74 and going into the final season on his contract after a 22-8 finish this season. Bjork said he plans to speak to Blair within the next few months.

We want to celebrate him," Bjork said on a media teleconference Tuesday. "But we also know we need a plan and we need to have a plan and we'll do that in the appropriate time. But Gary has been terrific. At the right time, we'll sit down and map up what the future holds."
greg.w.h
AG
His contract is fulfilled this year. Almost certainly that is what Bjork is referring to. I do think there will be an evaluation that goes with that. And I think a critical question will be how much longer Blair wants to coach at Texas A&M. I think he has to answer that for himself first and foremost, but both parties need to work towards clarity to discuss him returning in the fall. I personally see no reason to expect this was his last campaign with us.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I agree, but nothing surprises me anymore. We will see!
Thymes
aggiedrjdub said:

Yeah - I understand. It was a good year with tremendous on court leadership. I guess my question is, or my expectation would be that we could be a top 10 team (pre and post season) each season. That is a goal I could stand behind and would love to see A&M accomplish at some point soon.

I saw this article pop up from this time last year and this quote is interesting to me.

"As much as Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork appreciates everything that women's basketball coach Gary Blair has done, he also understands the need to think about what comes next.

Blair delivered a NCAA championship for the Aggies in 2010-11 and won his 800th game this past season. But he's also 74 and going into the final season on his contract after a 22-8 finish this season. Bjork said he plans to speak to Blair within the next few months.

We want to celebrate him," Bjork said on a media teleconference Tuesday. "But we also know we need a plan and we need to have a plan and we'll do that in the appropriate time. But Gary has been terrific. At the right time, we'll sit down and map up what the future holds."
Who authored the article that "pop[ped] up from this time last year?"
aggiedrjdub
AG
Dallasnews.com - Chuck Carlton 4/7/2020
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.