Get Vic like UT got Chris Beard

4,371 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiedrjdub
Texagsubscriber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One was lured to his alma mater. Why can't we do it with Vic? We need to scoop him up before he starts having real success and it would be impossible to get him here. He is as sure of a shot at multiple championships other than Geno and Dawn.

Give Gary a Bobby Bowden sendoff and transition to Vic ("Jimbo Fisher" coach version). I hope the AD has the insight to see the potential.
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
greg.w.h
AG
Fund it. Plan to pay Vic $2 million to pry him free from a program that has a lot of traditional support for women's basketball. I'll note they have thrashed doing exactly what you suggest the entire time Blair has stayed true to Texas A&M: going for supposedly great hires. At least they had a reason to do that.
Bucketrunner
Happy that this will never happen
Sterling82
I really enjoyed watching this year's team and it's now obvious that AZ was a very hot team when we played them. We don't need to force a change. When the day comes, we make an offer...if Vic takes it great, if not we get someone else.
BlackUnisRoll
Beard wanted to go to tu. There is no evidence that Vic wants to come here.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Vic the Villain is my favorite current fairytale.

Vic would have (key pharse) absolutely have came here if given the opportunity. The opportunity never came, so he made his own path, and quite successfully at that. Hate where he is now, but I can't blame him one bit.
rugger74
AG
When Vic struggles in austin without Johnnie to help temper the locker room, we will be glad to have Blair and his successor.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Gary's contract is up in about 22 days. Wondering when they will announce an extension? Looks like in the past it's been in the month of April. Keep an eye out. Gig'em!
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Ol Jock 99
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Gary's contract is up in about 22 days. Wondering when they will announce an extension? Looks like in the past it's been in the month of April. Keep an eye out. Gig'em!

Unless it is accompanied with a big ass cake and tons of former assistant players and every member of A&M brass, letting his contract simply expire seems like a terrible move. And I've been on the "he needs to retire" bandwagon for a while.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yeah. I would assume they are negotiating right now. I don't think he's going anywhere tbh.
greg.w.h
AG
He likely doesn't need a contract extension. Only reason to offer one is it's more professional. Similarly he may prefer to be able to retire at any time without dealing with a contract. Up to both parties to figure it out.

The only reason we didn't have four S16s in a row and possibly a F4 last year is covid.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Maybe Blair would like input on his successor.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Do we think our assistant coaches could eventually move into the head coaching position?
greg.w.h
AG
Blair doesn't need a successor until he chooses to leave. I would argue that him controlling who succeeds him is not necessary and should be avoided.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I agree with this. I'm not sure a coach in waiting has ever been successful? I can't think of a scenario that has off the top of my head. Maybe GB is holding on 1) because he loves what he does, and 2) because after being in this industry for as long as he has, he knows that when he's finished and is ready to move on that his coaching team is likely to be dismantled as well. Bond-White and Starkey have been very loyal.
Dominion Caracas Branch
I think HCIW is bad. However, I could see Blair wanting it if he has a favorite. I mean in terms of team sports (I'm thinking of conventional teams like basketball, baseball, soccer, football, etc.) his record here is the tops easy. And coaches have egos, I can see him wanting to put his imprint on program even after he leaves.
rrtodds
AG
Vic the dic and tu deserve each other.

He made their gang hand sign when they broke their huddle and the words "hook em" appeared to roll effortlessly off his tongue ... and he eats with those same hand and mouth.

I'm sure he concludes all press conferences and interviews with "praise the Lord, and hook em" ... makes his previous "praise the Lord and Gig em or go Dogs" bad memories ... shallow at best.

"The love of money is the root of all evil" ... thus saith the Lord? He's getting his.

May he hook em till the cows come home.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Good grief.
coloradoag69
AG
Vic is 60 years old now. Unless Blair suffers some sort of tragedy, he's going to be 61 at this time next year when Blair will or will not step down.

I really don't see why we would want to pay lots of money for someone who is likely not going to be here that long. IMO, the ideal Coach Blair replacement would be a black lady like Dawn Staley who could continue building our program for the foreseeable future.
Rudybryan
coloradoag69 said:

Vic is 60 years old now. Unless Blair suffers some sort of tragedy, he's going to be 61 at this time next year when Blair will or will not step down.

I really don't see why we would want to pay lots of money for someone who is likely not going to be here that long. IMO, the ideal Coach Blair replacement would be a black lady like Dawn Staley who could continue building our program for the foreseeable future.
Where do you get your info Blair was born August 10, 1945 making him 75 going on 76....
greg.w.h
AG
Dominion Caracas Branch said:

I think HCIW is bad. However, I could see Blair wanting it if he has a favorite. I mean in terms of team sports (I'm thinking of conventional teams like basketball, baseball, soccer, football, etc.) his record here is the tops easy. And coaches have egos, I can see him wanting to put his imprint on program even after he leaves.
He has. His coaches being interviewed for the position is all that should be offered to him. I'll note that is an honor.
greg.w.h
AG
Rudybryan said:

coloradoag69 said:

Where do you get your info Blair was born August 10, 1945 making him 75 going on 76....

Note there is an unrelated footnote attached to his name and birthday.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Blair
aggiedrjdub
AG
I would LOVE to see Dawn Staley interviewed, but it would require a lot of money and a complete culture shift in order for her to even consider A&M (I would be fine with both).

When referring to GB and Vic, I think colorado was saying that Vic will be 61 next year and maybe not worth the risk assuming GB steps down after next season. Would Ross really give GB a 1 year extension? That seems odd.

I have no insider knowledge, but I'm still wondering if something is going on as there has been no acknowledgement of a new contract. Only Anna has transferred as of now, but does that open the flood gates if athletes think GB is done?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Also - I just saw Staiti and Morrison are returning for Georgia. That's huge for that program!
greg.w.h
AG
The only purpose of an extension is to assure families he's still going to be here. It's either five or zero in my opinion depending on the backing Bjork has for making a change. I have zero clue which way it will go, but I think Gary is going to do his own appraisal prior to meeting with Ross if he hasn't already. Gary has been forthright so far that he intends to return. And while the losses to LSU, Georgia, and Arizona were disappointing, it was a very good season. As I noted: we didn't get to see Chennedy in one last tournament and the other three around it were S16 runs.

IF we could assure better recruiting based on the last four years, I see little reason not to extend. Also IF he can keep a longer bench with deeper rotation like this year, I think that gives him more options on matchups.

Our bench was good but didn't have the gelling time playing together due to all the transfers that could have gotten them over the hump on the losses and possibly go the F4 or NC game. I would like to see more true, prepared depth going forward. But he turns our women into diamonds consistently.
aggiedrjdub
AG
that's good stuff greg. great points.
Ol Jock 99
AG
It's worded awkwardly, but he's referring to Vic's age, not Gary's.
Thymes
Why does anyone think that Dawn Staley would leave South Carolina, where she gets sellout crowds, to come to Texas A&M, where even men's basketball takes a distinct second place to football and attendance reflects it?

South Carolina has led the nation with an average of 11,069 in the last pre-COVID season. It has led the nation in women's basketball attendance for the last five full seasons.

Why in the world would she even entertain an interview with Texas A&M?

https://www.secsports.com/article/28981850/sec-sets-pace-women-basketball-attendance
BQ_90
AG
The Jimbo effect, our fanbase thinks we can just hire anyone now. Not realizing how that was basically the exception to every rule.
greg.w.h
AG
BQ_90 said:

The Jimbo effect, our fanbase thinks we can just hire anyone now. Not realizing how that was basically the exception to every rule.
Our fan base has a couple of proclivities that pull in different directions. Some fans feel the best response is to just change coaches. Others are satisfied with post-season invites that are consistent. Still others think Aggies all need to support the school regardless of success (the two percenter and highway six memes.) In football there are MANY Aggies that truly view game day as a grand social opportunity to continue relationships at Kyle Field and strongly prioritize that over anything else.

I think each notion has meaning and adds variety and value. But I also believe focusing on any one as a key strategy has limitations.

The notion that Gary has struggled with recruiting certainly is one of those notions. We have rare scintillating players. And when we do have them they often come with other situational challenges. We certainly can ask if there is a path to more consistency in dominating other teams with UConn as a baseline for that question. It's just difficult to answer without some trend to compare to. The best comparison we have is how deep we go in the NCAAT.

Blair isn't Geno and really isn't Kim or Tara or Dawn or Muffett. They all have more final four appearances and at least one championship. He's more similar to Sherri Coale in post-season record though she lacks a NC but has more final four trips and a NC appearance as well prior to performance falling off after 2012-2013.

The question is whether that can be further improved or not and what is lost by rescuing for that. My argument is that he rebuilt it from scratch here and then scored a national championship and eight S16 or deeper runs including the last three trips. This is his most consistent period and it's a very strange rule to seek a change unless there is a plan to make a significant hire. Including the financial backing from donations.

I'm guessing today's basketball fans with money are mostly in favor of a change but not one that embarrasses Blair and only for a real improvement. He has emphasized delegating more to his assistants during games and you can see that. So we know he won't do this forever. But I also think financially this might not be the easiest year to make a change. Particularly if baseball and softball get changes this year (Childress is also in his last year and Jo's runs through 2022 after a 5-year extension in 2017.) All three have a similar resume in the SEC. Each has one Elite Eight/CWS and at least one additional S16/super regional. All have made the post-season each year except last year due to covid. They're all three pluggers (referring to the cartoon strip meme.)

I doubt all three are retained and I doubt all three are fired. I think Blair has made by far the best case over the last four campaigns for continuation with repeated S16 runs. But I also don't think he has provided the marquee-level runs of the other coaches I mentioned. But other than Staley none of them are even potential replacements. I also see Gary adding a unique character to the game that is in essence Southern and gentlemanly without being either racial or aristocratic. That he chose in Oak Cliff to become the girl's coach as white flight took place is actually a remarkable story that exemplifies a gentleness that is hard to cast aside.

I think he should be continued for five more years based on the repeated S16s plus the one he missed out on due to covid (if not deeper.) That probably should not be announced as his planned trip into the sunset though he might not choose to go past that. And he should be given every resource including access to a private jet for recruiting if needed to compete for his best five years. Hold nothing back and see how far he goes.
aggiedrjdub
AG
And Greg nails it...

For what it's worth, I don't think any of us are stating or assuming Dawn Staley would consider Texas A&M. I think what we are saying is, it would take a hire of that magnitude to replace the current status quo. If there was a commitment to excellence and F4 appearances, AND she was given carte Blanche to do as she pleased to get us there, AND she was given an unprecedented salary plus bonus structure, then maybe?

Also, Dawn Staley built that South Carolina program, AND the attendance records are because of her and because she wins conference championships consistently. There is now an expectation that a F4 is obtainable every single year. She is the future IMO.
greg.w.h
AG
I almost concluded a Final Four or equivalent should be our goal for every sport. But I frankly haven't done the analysis to see if we spend like we believe that. I think we spend for top 10 and demand top 25 regularly. You kind of expect your spend to have a range of outcomes with the spend being goal. If we want to be first we need to spend like we believe we do. But is that the mission of this University? And who exactly is served by that? Is it just opening the front porch as broadly as possible and demanding the very best at everything we attempt as a school? Or are we more sensitive to managing to a moderated cost for a very good education that puts graduates in roughly the top 25% of their respective fields? I don't have an easy answer.

On the other hand, Dawn Staley is the present. She is the standard for the contemporary program in so many ways. She's accomplished, fiery, an amazing competitor, commands respect from her team and opponents. And is challenging all of us to change. That's a lot to carry. And she does it well. I would like to think we would want a coach exactly like her. But somehow I doubt we would pull the trigger if we could. I would if I could. She's that good.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Agree wholeheartedly

I think if we are on a mission in even one sport (football), it's a disservice to the other sports not to offer those same advantages. Just my opinion.
fitzwatema
AG
greg.w.h

Excellent analysis and spot on. Dawn Staley is setting the standard for women's basketball and the goal would be to get her or someone that could emulate her and get the same results.
The only point I disagree with is how long Gary should be given, at this point I think I would go for less than 5 years.
greg.w.h
AG
fitzwatema said:

greg.w.h

Excellent analysis and spot on. Dawn Staley is setting the standard for women's basketball and the goal would be to get her or someone that could emulate her and get the same results.
The only point I disagree with is how long Gary should be given, at this point I think I would go for less than 5 years.
The only reason I wrote five is his age: he turns 80 before the five years is up.

I don't think he's ever really gotten the support he deserves on the recruiting side and I think the development side is ready to take in new talent.

He clearly did very well incorporating a lot of talent this year in spite of it being a weird year. The three S16s speak for themselves but the lack of an E8 while Chennedy was here does, too.

I have no clue what happened. But my take was less talented players went sideways with Chennedy. She had to mature as a leader and you could tell she was really stretching each year to do that. It's cheap and easy to blame the best player. But in reality the best player usually IS the best player and she showed her chops regularly.

So I think he deserves the chance to put one more run together based on the S16 run. Essentially as long as he keeps it rolling he deserves another year, but doing year-by-year extensions makes little sense.

Also the change to Div I transfers plays into his strengths. He's always slotted in transfers and got it working.

Anyway. Just more thought behind the presentation. Not really arguing your position as much as explaining mine.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.