does Blair recruit elite?

2,402 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by czar_iv
Aggie1188
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just noticing our best 2021 recruit was ranked #91, while tu had 3 recruits ranked inside the Top 25 nationally. Lmao

If I'm not just missing something, holy hell.
Aggie1188
I was already concerned that our girls cannot hear Blair communicating to them when they're on the court from what I've seen. Even during timeouts, looks like the assistants have to take over. His 2021 class HS recruiting numbers is just embarrassingly bad. Lord knows the AD is too new to have the courage to hire someone currently elite.
Rudybryan
AgsStampede said:

I was already concerned that our girls cannot hear Blair communicating to them when they're on the court from what I've seen. Even during timeouts, looks like the assistants have to take over. His 2021 class HS recruiting numbers is just embarrassingly bad. Lord knows the AD is too new to have the courage to hire someone currently elite.

What is ur definition of an elite player? This is a team sport and takes 5 people to play? Texas has#1 player and look at the records they set.

Tom Brady was picked 199 in the draft and look where he is - there is alot more to recruiting than ESPN list
oldschool87
AG
Did you not watch anything???

Some of you are, it's Easter...

The 2 teams we beat should have been 2 and 3 seeds. Our loss will be at a minimum to the runner up to the natty if not the national champion...

Shuuuuuuuutup!!!!!!!
cs69ag
AG
I would say that Daniel Adams and Chennedy Carter were elite.
You could make a case for the other 4 starters on the 2011 NC team were also elite.
Nixon looked elite vs. ISU....we will see how the rest of her career goes.
greg.w.h
AG
Chennedy Carter was a transformative player at the college level and left last spring. The team this year had the best record in terms of losses of any campaign at Texas A&M. It's a shame they ran into a red-hot Arizona in the S16 due in part to their schedule being undervalued by the selection committee.

The notion that there are recruiting systems that know more than coaches on why players are selected is at best a chimera. It's a way to argue the coach is no good without producing evidence. He just finished three out of four years going to the S16. It's a darn shame we didn't get to see last year's team in the tournament.

Now do I think Blair recruits like Geno? Nope. But that's a far more complicated conversation. No one except John Wooden compares to Geno.
Gap
AG
Seems like we have quite a few McDonald's All-Americans on our roster. How many did we have last year?
aggiedrjdub
AG
We do not get the same level of recruits as a UConn, Stanford, SC, etc. Recruiting does matter. Thinking it doesn't is just naive. This is why UConn can field a nationally competitive teams year end and year out by plugging in elite freshmen. This wasn't even supposed to be a great year for them, and by their standards I suppose it wasn't. They are NC or bust. Final 4 is their standard.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Good point. I think most of them where transfers (Nixon, Pitts, and Z Green)
Thymes
Maybe it's not Blair. Nor would it be Vic.

Maybe it's Texas A&M.

Recall a few years back when Mark Turgeon uttered a few relatively mild criticisms of the Texas A&M fan base about their lack of support for basketball. From the reaction, you'd have thought he came out in favor of pedophilia.

How dare Turgeon suggest that Aggie fans should exhibit the same level of dedication to basketball that they do for football! Doesn't he know that this is a football state?

Did Gillespie recruit five-star players? No, he got what he could and developed them into a couple of teams that went to the NCAA tournament, going so far as . . . the Sweet 16!

In year that followed Blair's national championship, the Aggie Women's team averaged short of 6,000 fans per game. What did UConn average that year?

Maybe Blair doesn't recruit a lot of Five Stars because the Five Stars aren't interested in signing with A&M, a school that has demonstrated its passion for a historically mediocre football program, where basketball is relatively unimportant.

aggiedrjdub
AG
DING DING DING - hit the nail on the head. Our fan base is severely lacking. I had season tickets for 4 years after our national championship and gave them up bc life got busy with 3 kids. Support for the basketball program is mediocre at best. Having said that, winning championships consistently fills the seats. That's the bottom line. What is the solution? Coaches need to create a team and atmosphere that fills the seats.
Rudybryan
Thymes said:

Maybe it's Texas A&M.

Recall a few years back when Mark Turgeon uttered a few relatively mild criticisms of the Texas A&M fan base about their lack of support for basketball. From the reaction, you'd have thought he came out in favor of pedophilia.

How dare Turgeon suggest that Aggie fans should exhibit the same level of dedication to basketball that they do for football! Doesn't he know that this is a football state?

Did Gillespie recruit five-star players? No, he got what he could and developed them into a couple of teams that went to the NCAA tournament, going so far as . . . the Sweet 16!

In year that followed Blair's national championship, the Aggie Women's team averaged short of 6,000 fans per game. What did UConn average that year?

Maybe Blair doesn't recruit a lot of Five Stars because the Five Stars aren't interested in signing with A&M, a school that has demonstrated its passion for a historically mediocre football program, where basketball is relatively unimportant.

We are such a football school we haven't had a National Championship in 82 yrs........

Have we ever won one in men's basketball?

Thymes
Rudybryan said:

Thymes said:

Maybe it's Texas A&M.

We are such a football school we haven't had a National Championship in 82 yrs........

Have we ever won one in men's basketball?

Nope. But fans are willing to pay for football season tickets that included a donation requirement that runs in the thousands of dollars per year for what many would consider to be ordinary seats. All that for, as you say, a football team that hasn't won a national championship since 1939 (and a conference championship since 1998).

Meanwhile, one of the best Brazos Valley entertainment options, a woman's basketball team that has been to the NCAA Tournament for each of the past 15 postseasons, has had one Reed Arena sellout, against Baylor on Jan. 30, 2011, when there were 13,162 butts in the seats (actually SRO).

Hell, when UConn showed up on Nov. 18, 2012, attendance was only 7,657.

So all of this -- tournament performance and fan devotion -- is going to change if we could somehow pry Vic Schaefer out of his contract at Texas and install him here?

aggiedrjdub
AG
I don't think we are saying that, but I do think if we want a change we have to start winning championships and have a coach that can get butts in seats. The football team hasn't won a national championship, but there is no expense spared to attempt to get them there. How many coaches have we been through? I want our basketball programs to get better. Bottom line. I want all programs to win at the highest levels. And I want coaches that demand that and build an expectation that that's what we are here for. If we consistently won SEC titles that would be a start. But how many regular season titles do we have with GB compared to the other "elite coach" in our conference? Would you pay 2.5 for dawn Staley or geno?
Wicked Good Ag
AgsStampede said:

This a terrible take

How many games did you witness to where Blair couldnt be heard?

Have you seen where the type of recruiting is being done now?

The best regular season we have ever had and everyones complains because Vic went one round further in the NCAA tourney. I eould rather have had the season we did and finish one round before the Elite 8 then to have the season Texas had and get blown out in the Elite 8 by the team we beat to win the SEC championship
Gap
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

AgsStampede said:

This a terrible take

How many games did you witness to where Blair couldnt be heard?

Have you seen where the type of recruiting is being done now?

The best regular season we have ever had and everyones complains because Vic went one round further in the NCAA tourney. I eould rather have had the season we did and finish one round before the Elite 8 then to have the season Texas had and get blown out in the Elite 8 by the team we beat to win the SEC championship
Lets be honest that is just a flat out lie. I sit behind the benches at Reed and see it every game. Blair does more coaching than almost any other head coach you see come to Reed. He loves the game.

Anyone who wants to argue with that I dare you to take Arkansas as an example and make a comparison.
Thymes
aggiedrjdub said:

I don't think we are saying that, but I do think if we want a change we have to start winning championships and have a coach that can get butts in seats. The football team hasn't won a national championship, but there is no expense spared to attempt to get them there. How many coaches have we been through? I want our basketball programs to get better. Bottom line. I want all programs to win at the highest levels. And I want coaches that demand that and build an expectation that that's what we are here for. If we consistently won SEC titles that would be a start. But how many regular season titles do we have with GB compared to the other "elite coach" in our conference? Would you pay 2.5 for dawn Staley or geno
Nobody tries harder to put butts in seats than does Gary Blair. He does a lot more than giving away tickets.
  • He was one of the first coaches to have a kids' play zone in the practice facility 90 minutes before each home game.
  • He was one of the first coaches to institute an elementary school day for kids from the local school districts. Our eighth-largest crowd was 8,005, set on Nov. 30, 2016 -- and you better have had a set of earplugs if you're sensitive to high-pitch squeels.
  • His weekly radio show is so much better organized than the men's show: He has player interviews. He gets opposing coaches on the phone line and interviews them on the air.
  • Women's Basketball has its own graphic artists to beef up the social media message beyond what the media relations office can provide.
  • His Blair's Buddies supplemental fundraising organization has added to what the athletic department can afford to contribute to remodeling facilities. The most recent locker room remodel was eye popping. Contributors to Blair's Buddies have scheduled pregame luncheons and get regular mailings of the pre-game releases and post-game recaps.
  • For fans who don't contribute to Blair's Buddies (actually, for everybody) there is another set of monthly in-season luncheons. Of course, you have to pay but there is a program, plus raffles and other give-aways.
  • Fifteen straight post-season appearances provides the opportunity to make the annual March Madness selection show into a community event. Everyone is invited to join the team to find out what the Aggies will be seeded and where they'll play. Food is free for this one.
  • Gary Blair Charities holds an annual golf tournament and fund raising auction to fund local charitable organizations.
  • He often sells seats on the team charter so that fans can accompany the team. My wife, my daughter and I paid to accompany the team to Spain several summers ago. My wife also traveled with the squad to Spokane for one of the regionals a few years ago. The latter was a something of a surprise. She had stopped by the office to get Gary to sign a copy of his book. Noting that there were extra seats on the flight, she was invited to write a check for the charter.

Butts in the seats? Maybe those butts ought to get off their butts and walk over to Reed. Gary is keeping his end of the bargain.

Would I pay $2.5 for Dawn or Geno? Given that Gino already make $2.4 million, exclusive of bonuses, I don't think that would get him to leave U-Conn. The last info on Staley I founds says she made $1.6 mil in 2020. So, when Gary retires of his own volition, which I hope doesn't happen for quite a few years, I'd hope she's one of those interviewed.

aggiedrjdub
AG
I agree that Gary has done a hell of a lot. The only thing that will consistently gets butts in seats and sell season tickets is winning championships. Maybe we will have some momentum after this season and people will come out. I won't hold my breath.
oldschool87
AG
Thymes said:

Maybe it's Texas A&M.

oldschool87
AG
oldschool87 said:

Thymes said:

Maybe it's Texas A&M.

Yes,,,, every year like clock work after Christmas. And every year he forgot the students were at home, not in College station...
Thymes
oldschool87 said:

oldschool87 said:

Thymes said:

Maybe it's Texas A&M.

Yes,,,, every year like clock work after Christmas. And every year he forgot the students were at home, not in College station...
Funny how the townies turn out in other municipalities ever year, like clockwork, [before and] after Christmas. That is, except in Texas. Rick Barnes used to make these same comments, and was criticized by Longhorns for not realizing that the natives will eventually show up in limited numbers once they remember that football season is over.
alamoaggie64
AG
Blair has over 800 wins, so yes, i would say he does pretty well with his recruiting.
alamoaggie64
Rudybryan
alamoaggie64 said:

Blair has over 800 wins, so yes, i would say he does pretty well with his recruiting.
Bold is active coaches - He's #3.....active #12 all time.....the eleven ahead of him are pretty good company.......

1 Tara VanDerveer* 42 1,099 253 0.813
2 Pat Summit 38 1,098 208 0.841
3 Geno Auriemma* 36 1,093 142 0.885
4 Barbara Stevens 43 1,058 291 0.784
5 C. Vivian Stringer 48 1,041 421 0.712
6 Sylvia Hatchell 44 1,023 405 0.716
7 Muffet McGraw 38 936 293 0.762
8 Jim Foster 40 903 347 0.722
9 Jody Conradt 38 900 309 0.744
10 Robin Selvig 38 865 286 0.752
11 Andy Landers 36 862 299 0.742
12 Gary Blair* 36 819 330 0.712
13 Joe Foley* 34 804 276 0.744
14 Harry Perretta 42 783 489 0.616
15 Lisa Bluder* 37 779 366 0.68
16 Nancy Fahey* 34 769 193 0.801
17 Debbie Ryan 34 739 324 0.695
18 Kay Yow 38 737 344 0.682
19 Kevin Borseth* 33 733 292 0.715
20 Wes Moore* 32 732 231 0.760
21 Doug Bruno* 34 716 347 0.674
22 Sue Gunter 34 708 308 0.697
23 Cindy Russo 38 707 408 0.634
24 Joan Bonvicini 36 701 421 0.625
25 Rene Portland 31 693 265 0.723
26 Gordy Presnell* 33 694 308 0.692
27 Joe McKeown* 36 692 347 0.666
28 Bill Fennelly* 34 692 329
mvegas
Hey Rudy. Super interesting list. Thanks for posting! Isn't C Vivian Stringer still active at Rutgers?
Rudybryan
mvegas said:

Hey Rudy. Super interesting list. Thanks for posting! Isn't C Vivian Stringer still active at Rutgers?
The must have made the list when she stepped out of coaching for a brief period and I wasn't paying attention to correct......have corrected now and thanks for the pull up

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/sports/rutgers-buffalo-women-ncaa-stringer.html
czar_iv
AG
alamoaggie64 said:

Blair is a great recruiter. Development has always been my concern with Blair.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.