Vic got his team to the elite 8

13,568 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by trackaggie76
czar_iv
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vic got his far less talented team to the elite 8 over a very tough Maryland team; is this the end of A&M's women's basketball edge over the tu?
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
bball73
Gee, I just can't figure why we might have wanted to try a coaching change a year or so ago.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Blair had a good run this year but anyone who's honest with themselves knows that it's been slipping for a number of years now. I think the answer to your question is "yes".
I'll always love Coach Blair and what he did for our school but I think his best days are behind him.
Bucketrunner
And here comes the Cult of Vic. Just like clockwork.
aggieFann
Defense defense defense!!! It'll take you really far when you can create momentum off of defensive plays to take pressure off of "running the perfect play" on offense.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Bucketrunner said:

As opposed to the cult of Blair?
What's the point of your post?
Vic did more with less this year and did the same at Clanga.
It's not an unreasonable topic or take.
Gap
AG
Congrats to Texas on the win. But, I'm already bored of the Vic talk. Go buy season tickets in Austin if you want to support him. He isn't our coach and isn't ever going to be.
aginlakeway
AG
SWC Ag said:

Blair had a good run this year but anyone who's honest with themselves knows that it's been slipping for a number of years now. I think the answer to your question is "yes".
I'll always love Coach Blair and what he did for our school but I think his best days are behind him.

So you think that a coach who led his team to a 24-1 regular season record, an SEC title and win over SC best days are behind him?

Wow.
bball73
Let's see Vic has played in the NC game 2 years, nothing less than Elite 8 since at 2 different schools. Blair does have the NC (with Vic right there) but 10 years ago. You know in football we had an NC - almost 100 years ago and we're still looking for an answer. Aggravating we (might) have had the WBB answer and didn't bother.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
aginlakeway said:

SWC Ag said:

So you think that a coach who led his team to a 24-1 regular season record, an SEC title and win over SC best days are behind him?

Wow.

I do. Like I said he had a good run this year but was bailed out by questionable officiating in the first two games of the tourney and got absolutely spanked by Arizona's coach last night. He had no answer for what she was doing.
I'd love to be wrong but I think this year will be an anomaly when grouped with the seasons before and after this one (if he doesn't retire)

Edited for fat fingers.
czar_iv
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Yep l've always liked Vic and his coaching style ... sorry for not blindly following the Aggie Corp line.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Cedar09
Dude still wears his NC ring of their rival. So that will wear thin soon enough. But good for them, he's got the number 1 WNBA pick this year. The team he inherited had some really good players.
AngryAG
Bucketrunner said:

A group of BMDs reached out to him two years ago. He was interested, but the Howdy Doody's in Bright shot it down.
aginlakeway
AG
SWC Ag said:

aginlakeway said:

SWC Ag said:

Wow.

I do. Like I said he had a good run this year but was bailed out by questionable officiating in the first two games of the tourney and got absolutely spanked by Arizona's coach last night. He had no answer for what she was doing.
I'd love to be wrong but I think this year will be an anomaly when grouped with the seasons before and after this one (if he doesn't retire)

Edited for fat fingers.

Ok. We'll see over time. I prefer to be optimistic.
Bucketrunner
I am not a cultist for Blair, and it may be time for him to start enjoying life with his new wife. I'm hoping we can do much better than Vic and his sideline hissy fits for the next coach. The job will be appealing to many, and the AD will be able to find a great coach who can also make us proud.
ContinentalAg
Vic is a stud, but Blair has another 5 years minimum left in the tank. Can't wait for next year!
chick79
AG
What a ridiculous thread. Didn't we beat Vic in Austin earlier this year!?
bqce
AG
We did; I was there. You could tell Vic was going to have his team ready for conference play, even against a seasoned team like A&M. His team improved enormously, and his defense speaks for itself. Why is this a ridiculous thread?
Serious Lee
AngryAG said:

Bucketrunner said:

A group of BMDs reached out to him two years ago. He was interested, but the Howdy Doody's in Bright shot it down.
doesnt surprise me at all. A&M has always been way too loyal to coaches. texas is about to lap us in softball too because of it
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
chick79 said:

What a ridiculous thread. Didn't we beat Vic in Austin earlier this year!?

Why is it ridiculous? So we beat him earlier when it didn't matter. Great. Bragging rights I guess??
Is our team goal to play for championships or beat our rival? Because Vic has his team a step closer to the former.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Walt Luddiger said:

AngryAG said:

Bucketrunner said:

doesnt surprise me at all. A&M has always been way too loyal to coaches. texas is about to lap us in softball too because of it

This.
oklaunion
I watched Maryland's previous game and thought they had a chance to win it all. The Texas women wanted this game and took it.
TMartin
Many older folks don't want to retire these days and Gary Blair will stay as long as he wants so best to just get over it. This team looked tired beginning with the Georgia game and just ran out of gas. Just my opinion.

Mike Krzyzewski/Age
74 years
February 13, 1947

[url=https://www.google.com/search?q=duke+basketball+coach+age&sxsrf=ALeKk01hVoKVrCCqnheazR3JIsmvVFEKEw:1617021948346&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=bB9cdBgqlze-dM%252CJj0k734_AcR8KM%252C%252Fm%252F026g8n&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTViW9efzhrCowNYymZ-ToF4qK8iQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinusyWxNXvAhVXK80KHQRSBP8Q_B16BAgJEAE#imgrc=bB9cdBgqlze-dM][/url]
aggiedrjdub
AG
The reality is, the game has evolved. Has GB and staff evolved with the game of bb? With regards to the game vs Arizona - you can't win a game where your seniors can't hit layups and wide open shots. I almost think this team had too many options this year. I know that's crazy to say, but when most teams were geling at the end of the season with that they had, we were still shuffling guards and forwards in and out. Idk the answers. One thing that struck me as I was watching interviews was the somewhat nonchalant attitude from GB about practices and taking days off during the tournament. During the biggest tournament of the year, I don't think you take a day off. It's a business trip until you're done sort of thing. Analyze film, walk throughs, discuss game plans and then the next day you can physical practice. But when I hear, "We are going to take the day off and enjoy the city, and then get back to practice the following day" it makes me wonder what??? Does GB have the energy of these younger coaches anymore? Those are my questions.

Sad for this team, but it just seemed to start falling apart after that South Carolina win. Not sure what happened.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
aggiedrjdub
AG
This is what I'm thinking, too. GB is much loved by the older Ags that buy the seats. Will Ross risk upsetting them to go after someone that could spark the program, or will he just ride the GB train until GB is ready to hang up his shoes in 10 years (maybe).
bball73
Bucketrunner said:

... I'm hoping we can do much better than Vic and his sideline hissy fits for the next coach. The job will be appealing to many, and the AD will be able to find a great coach who can also make us proud.

I hope so but I also hope
(1) It happens in my lifetime - and I'm getting on
(2) It happens while the job is still appealing and not a major rebuilding challenge (that worked out well for us once, I'm not counting on twice)
BlackUnisRoll
Where is the evidence that Vic wants to come to A&M?
I expect the big money at tu overrides any past connections to A&M.
Wicked Good Ag
aggiedrjdub said:

This is what I'm thinking, too. GB is much loved by the older Ags that buy the seats. Will Ross risk upsetting them to go after someone that could spark the program, or will he just ride the GB train until GB is ready to hang up his shoes in 10 years (maybe).
You are not gtting rid of a coach who wins the SEC, has a season record before post season with one loss and makes the Sweet 16 again

This is stupid guys
If Balir retires on his teams so be it but anyone who was around before Blair knows what we were
waltonloads11
AG
Blair won a national title for us. I understand that is now the bar for a lot of us. However, he continues to win, make the tourney, and advance to the Sweet 16 routinely. He loves our community, University, and the students. He genuinely cares about his student athletes. He literally does everything right. He deserves to retire on his own terms. The next coach up will inherit a good program, whether that is Vic, Kelly, Aqua, or someone else.
aginlakeway
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

aggiedrjdub said:

You are not gtting rid of a coach who wins the SEC, has a season record before post season with one loss and makes the Sweet 16 again

This is stupid guys
If Balir retires on his teams so be it but anyone who was around before Blair knows what we were

Nope. Near zero percent chance. The chances of him retiring are slightly higher than zero.

In the 30 years before Blair arrived, we made the NCAA tournament TWICE. And we won ZERO conference titles.

We have made 15 straight NCAAs under Blair, won one national title, and 5 conference titles (regular season or tournament).

Yet people think we should replace him.
MsC2012
AG
Well Gary's contract is up in May and hasn't been renewed yet. So who knows what will happen.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I don't disagree with this at all. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to. I'm not smoking some pipe and living in a dream. I do realize this. The reality is, though, he caught lightening in a bottle with that 2011 team and I don't expect anything past a sweet 16 or elite 8 (if we're lucky) while he continues to stay. That's not a terrible season by any means; just not what I am hoping for in becoming an elite program that wins titles. In the meantime, Vic rebuilds MissState into a national contending program, and takes an unheralded Texas team to the elite 8 in his first year. When I hear our coach who has been here forever say we are not a blue blood program, that makes me mad. Why can't we be? We have the facilities? We have the traditions? It was your job to hopefully turn us into that. Don't say that crap. Build a blue blood program.
aggiedrjdub
AG
waltonloads11 said:

Blair won a national title for us. I understand that is now the bar for a lot of us. However, he continues to win, make the tourney, and advance to the Sweet 16 routinely. He loves our community, University, and the students. He genuinely cares about his student athletes. He literally does everything right. He deserves to retire on his own terms. The next coach up will inherit a good program, whether that is Vic, Kelly, Aqua, or someone else.
I agree with absolutely everything you said here. 100%
aginlakeway
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I don't disagree with this at all. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to. I'm not smoking some pipe and living in a dream. I do realize this. The reality is, though, he caught lightening in a bottle with that 2011 team and I don't expect anything past a sweet 16 or elite 8 (if we're lucky) while he continues to stay. That's not a terrible season by any means; just not what I am hoping for in becoming an elite program that wins titles. In the meantime, Vic rebuilds MissState into a national contending program, and takes an unheralded Texas team to the elite 8 in his first year. When I hear our coach who has been here forever say we are not a blue blood program, that makes me mad. Why can't we be? We have the facilities? We have the traditions? It was your job to hopefully turn us into that. Don't say that crap. Build a blue blood program.

OK. But there are very few teams who do this year to year.

I don't get the "caught lightening in a bottle with that 2011 team" line of thinking, Why does that matter? And if it was that easy, why didn't Vic ever catch "lightening in a bottle" and win a national title at MSU?

And Texas was picked 2nd in Big 12. They are far from unheralded. And they have the potential #1 pick in the draft.
aggiedrjdub
AG
They have not been great, and even Vic was quoted as saying that he doesn't have a team that can score very many points. They work hard, which is kind of what his teams do. In very little time he took MissState to places they had not been. If he had not left, they would still be a perennial final 4 contender (in my opinion). How many coaches can take their first year teams to the elite 8?

And I get that there are very few teams that are consistently great. Why can't we be a UConn, or a Stanford, or a South Carolina? What does it take to get there? Why was Geno able to take UConn from obscurity into a national power house?

I mean no disrespect to that 2011 team. Everything they did in that tournament was amazing. But based on GBs tournament record, winning that natty was a bit of an anomaly (which I loved).

I'm not saying GB is awful. I love him for what he's done. But, my question is, do we just continue to be okay with the S16 and maybe an elite8? Or do we make the push for more?

I guess we will see what happens with his contract.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.