A&M should be projected as a #1 seed

2,655 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Divining Rod
SECTAMU#1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A&M has the most victories over ranked teams in the country, going 8-0. ... The 19-1 start is the best in school history, topping the 2010-11 national championship team that started 18-2.

Seems to me, the girls should be projected as a #1 seed.
greg.w.h
AG
The ESPN talking heads were saying the team deserves a higher ranking and was hurt in NET by the second game against Lamar trying to fill in the schedule.

I'm fairly confident if we win out in the regular season we will get a 1 seed. If Carolina beats us it's not as certain but at least a 2 imo.
cs69ag
AG
we have no wins over a top 10 currently ranked team. the 8-0 is against bottom half of top 25....still good, just not good enough for a one seed.
the 2011 NC team had 5 losses during season and Big 12 tournament...3x bu, duke and kstate

if we beat s. carolina, then maybe a one seed.
cs69ag
AG
The 2011 NC team beat the overall no. 1 bu. then no. 1 seeds Stanford and ND. So, can still do well not being a one seed. Need to be healthy, happy and peaking at the right time!
fitzwatema
AG
First NCAA reveal tonight had the Aggies number 5 which is the top 2 seed. Interestingly had Baylor at a 3 seed in the number 10 spot. Carolyn Peck was saying the Aggies might even make a case to be a number 1 seed.
greg.w.h
AG
ESPN analysis piece on the top 16:

" Texas A&M is the best example. Despite being 19-1 overall and 9-0 against teams ranked in the NET top 50, the Aggies are 13th in the NET. But the committee seeded Texas A&M fifth overall. The committee didn't let one piece of criteria dictate its evaluation of the Aggies."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30906888/what-learned-ncaa-women-bracket-reveal

Edit: I missed it's a Charlie Creme by-line.
cs69ag
AG
nice to see bu below us as a 3 seed
aggiedrjdub
AG
We just now have power again and all I can say is WHOOP! Just keep winning!
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
cs69ag
AG
A no. 1 seed would be nice/ Making the Final Four is more important.
As I have said before, we beat 3 no.1 seeds to win the NC in 2011.
You get to the Final Four, anything can happen////and did for us!
alamoaggie64
AG
We have beaten 8 ranked teams but all of them are ranked lower than us. Maybe if we beat SC who is ranked above us...
alamoaggie64
aggiedrjdub
AG
alamoaggie64 said:

We have beaten 8 ranked teams but all of them are ranked lower than us. Maybe if we beat SC who is ranked above us...

South Carolina has lost to both top 10 teams they've played. I don't pretend to understand the rankings, but I think a ranked win is a ranked win. We need to win out and beat South Carolina (which will be a tough fought match up).
BQ_90
AG
at this point not playing is better than playing according to the net.
cs69ag
AG
a ranked win is not a ranked win....there is a huge disparity in wbb between the top 8-10 teams and the rest of the top 25 teams. Sure there are some exceptions like Arky's two huge wins over bu and ucon...both on their home court. Not totally discounting our 8 top 25 wins, but none are vs a top currently ranked team. Our win vs DePaul was huge at the time, but they are not now a top 25 team. Both Louisville and UConn beat them by 30+ points.
cs69ag
AG
We saw how much the Net counted when the selection committee revealed their top 16.
I am afraid we wont find a date to.make up the Mizzou game. A shame... a long with Vandy game, odds are two wins for the,Aggies.
aggiedrjdub
AG
cs69ag said:

a ranked win is not a ranked win....there is a huge disparity in wbb between the top 8-10 teams and the rest of the top 25 teams. Sure there are some exceptions like Arky's two huge wins over bu and ucon...both on their home court. Not totally discounting our 8 top 25 wins, but none are vs a top currently ranked team. Our win vs DePaul was huge at the time, but they are not now a top 25 team. Both Louisville and UConn beat them by 30+ points.

DePaul has gone through a lot of changes since we played them. It's hard to compare one of the first games of the season vs playing a team mid season. I mean, I don't think you can compare final scores as there are so many variables. We could also say that UConn only beat Tennessee by 5 and we beat them by 10. UConn lost to Arkansas - we've beaten them twice. Etc. And - truthfully, I really do believe that this year there is more parity than any other year in the top 15-20 teams. On any given night, anything can happen. Fortunately, the selection committee hasn't relied on net rankings for us. I still believe if we win out we will be a 1 seed no matter what the net ranking ends up being. Although one would assume winning out would bump us way up. All I know is that this team finds a way to win and that's exciting to see.

I just pray this team continues to find their stride. It does seem that they are all happy playing their roles, and that's such a blessing for the health and success of any program.
Wicked Good Ag
Will be curious to see how the SEC office handles the standings. With our no contest with Vandy and cancellation with no make up against Mizzou there maybe a difference of two extra games for SC even if we beat them in the final regular season matchup
greg.w.h
AG
This year is weird. There. I said it.
cs69ag
AG
If we win the last 3 including USC, we finish 13-1 in SEC. We will have lost playing Vandy based on virus and Mizzou based on weather. Two games most would agree would have been wins for the Aggies.

If USC wins the rest of their games if all played, they finish 16-0 and undisputed SEC champs.
If we beat them and they finish 15-1 and we finish 13-1, a very difficult decision for the SEC.to make.

You can make several arguments both ways. Our best argument is we won head to head. Re NCAA ranking,
we would be 9-0 vs top 25 teams, amd USC will have lost 3 top 25 games.
cs69ag
AG
btw,,,Louisville beat DePaul 6 days ( not mid season) after we played them and on a neutral court.
Cardinals won 116-75 for a 41 point beat down.

Re our Tenn game, we were up by 1 with 2 min to go. 10 point win deceptive as team behind having to foul and to our credit we made them with Nixon shooting.
aggiedrjdub
AG
It's all about matchups - let's see what happens. Objectively, the pollsters and those that matter currently believe we are the 5th best team in the nation. I wonder where we'd be sitting had we closed out LSU the first time we played them. We had 2 free throws to basically seal the game. Coulda shoulda woulda.

Currently, SC is putting a beat down on Tennessee. Hopefully Tennessee can put a run together or this will be a long night for them
greg.w.h
AG
Generally pollsters overrate -0 records and only correctly evaluate head-to-head contests in the top ten. Since NONE (thank auto-mangle for making that nine) of our ranked opponents are currently top ten and since we saw SEC teams undervalued in football due to lack of inter-conference play, it's surprising the polls and selection committee valued us as highly as they did with just now 17-23 currently ranked opponents in our body of work.

That suggests both are ready to push us into the top four if we have a top four win. And arguably is justified with the nine then ranked opponent wins with zero losses other than LSU.

I think they have it right. And I think not beating Carolina leaves us at a 2. Therefore we should win out.
Divining Rod
cs69ag said:

.....As I have said before, we beat 3 no.1 seeds to win the NC in 2011....!

yes, and you were wrong both times.

Notre Dame was a 2 seed just like us
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.