A&M women's bball adds former 5-star transfer in Alexis Morris

1,849 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BQ92
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A&M women's bball adds former 5-star transfer in Alexis Morris

By BRIAN PERRONI

The Texas A&M women's basketball team had a strong 2019-20 season but, unfortunately, it came to an early end when the NCAA tournament was canceled. The Aggies will be looking to make some noise again this coming year but will have to do so without All-American guard Chennedy Carter, who declared a year early for the WNBA Draft. Earlier this week, Carter became the youngest player in WNBA history to score 30 points in a game, so it is going to be tough to replace her.

However, head coach Gary Blair picked up some help this week in a new transfer to Aggieland. The school announced that guard Alexis Morris signed with the team early Saturday.

Originally from Beaumont, the 5-foot-6 guard played this past season at Rutgers. Morris only appeared in seven games for the Scarlet Knights, though.

Prior to Rutgers, Morris signed with Baylor out of high school. She was an All-Big 12 Freshman
team member in the 2017-18 season after playing in all 34 games for the Bears as a true freshman. Morris averaged 9.4 points, 3.4 assists and 2.9 rebounds in her initial season but was dismissed by the program after the year.

"This staff has known Alexis and her family since she was in the seventh grade," Blair said, via a release from A&M. "It was those relationships, Alexis's ability to take ownership and her willingness to move forward with a veteran group of former teammates like Ciera (Johnson) and Aaliyah (Wilson) that allowed me to extend an offer to her to come home. Alexis is another veteran that can help this ball club. We will be anxiously awaiting confirmation of the status of her and our other transfers. She is a former Gatorade Player of the Year in our state, and is motivated by the opportunity to prove to herself she is still one of the best there is in our game. The type of teammate she is, her work ethic, discipline, along with a staff that believes in her will help both our team and her follow through on commitments we have set forth for ourselves."

Morris, who will be a fourth-year junior this coming season, was considered a five-star recruiting coming out of Beaumont Legacy Christian in the class of 2017 and ranked as the No. 18 prospect in the country by ESPN. She was named the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year for women's basketball after averaging 31.1 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 4.8 steals per game as a senior.

Morris is the fourth transfer the Aggies have added this offseason. Texas A&M have also seen Minnesota guard Destiny Pitts, Tennessee guard Zaay Green and junior college All-American center Ella Tofaeono.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/SEC-releases-new-cross-divisional-games-for-2020-football-season-149972549/
fitzwatema
AG
First of all, I hope there is a basketball season this year. Secondly, I hope Alexis is ready to put her past behind her and start a new beginning with Aggie Women's Basketball.
cs69ag
AG
Holy Cow! If these transfers are eligible plus the returning vets this team is so loaded GB has to play at least 10 players and wear other team out. I want to run and press the whole game! I want the 10 sec half court line to mean something....not just pressure the in bounds pass and drop back to your defensive end of the court. Can Starkey coach that??

Too much talent and possibly too many egos not to play most all of them a lot!! Would be nice to not see a dead tired team in the 4th qtr. wilt with only 6 players having entered the game!

Hope we have a season!!
BQ92
AG
cs69ag said:

Holy Cow! If these transfers are eligible plus the returning vets this team is so loaded GB has to play at least 10 players and wear other team out. I want to run and press the whole game! I want the 10 sec half court line to mean something....not just pressure the in bounds pass and drop back to your defensive end of the court. Can Starkey coach that??

Too much talent and possibly too many egos not to play most all of them a lot!! Would be nice to not see a dead tired team in the 4th qtr. wilt with only 6 players having entered the game!

Hope we have a season!!

Couldn't agree more
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.