Zay Green is Official

3,151 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rrtodds
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really big time addition. From Duncanville to Tennessee to Texas A&M. Top 10 national recruit and McDonald's All-American. Freshman All-SEC team.

Looks like she will have 3 years of eligibility for the Aggies as she is listed as class of 2023. She torn her ACL only 2 games into last season on November 9.

mullokmotx
AG
She started and played 26 minutes in 2019 when UT played here. She had 9 points, 2 rebounds and 3 assists.
In the Bryan Eagle newspaper today Robert Cessna reported that Cierra Johnson had surgery to repair the tendon in her foot that she injured against Arkansas. Looks like she would not have been able to play in the NCAA Tournament.
Gap
AG
mullokmotx said:

She started and played 26 minutes in 2019 when UT played here. She had 9 points, 2 rebounds and 3 assists.

In the Bryan Eagle newspaper today Robert Cessna reported that Cierra Johnson had surgery to repair the tendon in her foot that she injured against Arkansas. Looks like she would not have been able to play in the NCAA Tournament.
Did the Eagle mention any recovery time for Johnson? I am assumming she will be ready to go when the season starts.

I pulled the freshman year category highs for Green at Tennessee:
  • Rebounds: 11 // Vanderbilt, 2/3/19*
  • Assists: 7 // Auburn, 1/3/19
  • Steals: 5 // Presbyterian, 11/11/18
  • Blocks: 2 // Auburn, 1/3/19
  • 3-Pointers: 3 // Presbyterian, 11/11/18
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
lbasham
Rudybryan
Welcome to Aggieland!!
glover
AG
I watched this young lady play several times in high school when my daughter played against her. GREAT GET!!! WELCOME TO THE AGGIE FAMILY!!!!! GREAT JOB COACH BLAIR & STAFF!!!!!
cs69ag
AG
So is she eligible this fall if there is a basketball season? If Cierra is healthy, Nixon is the real deal and Zay
is recovered and eligible, we should have a lot of weapons on Offense!! The Juco transfer in the post will help too.
trackaggie76
AG
When is the 6'7" post player coming in?
Rudybryan
trackaggie76 said:

The tallest post player we have is Anna and she's been here
Gap
AG
trackaggie76 said:

She will be a freshman on the team this coming season.

From the press release in November when she signed:

Quote:

Kenyal Perry Post | 6-6 | Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Perry looks to make an impact in her senior season at McKinley High School after missing the 2018-19 season due to an ACL injury. A strong defender, Perry will bring aggressive shot blocking and kick start fastbreak opportunities for the Aggies. ESPN rates her as a three-star recruit that is on the rise in her final high school season.

Coach Blair on Kenyal Perry: "Kenyal's best basketball is in front of her. She has length, size and athleticism, and most importantly a willingness to learn the game. She will have a great opportunity her senior year at McKinley to play for a WNBA and All-American player in Temeka Johnson, who will have her prepared for the physical and mental game of women's college basketball. We are excited to have her be a part of the Aggie family and eager to begin helping her grow into a dominant post at Texas A&M."
trackaggie76
AG
Was curious because nobody was talking about her next fall..
cs69ag
AG
I was excited about this recruit and her height until I heard GB say she reminded him of Rachel Mitchel.
Hopefully he was just talking height and not basketball skills.
Rudybryan
cs69ag said:

I was excited about this recruit and her height until I heard GB say she reminded him of Rachel Mitchel.
Hopefully he was just talking height and not basketball skills.

r. She has length, size and athleticism, and most importantly a willingness to learn the game. She will have a great opportunity her senior year at McKinley to play for a WNBA and All-American player in Temeka Johnson, who will have her prepared for the physical and mental game of women's college

Above is the difference stay excited
cs69ag
AG
Good point Rudy. Hopefully she learns how to score in the low post and develop a mid range shot too her Senior year in HS. Our staff coaches guards and perimeter players very well...they are all oriented that way, They seem to coach rebounding and defense well for the 5 player position, unless they get the reach without moving their feet disease like Cierra has at times. What they don't seem to coach well is O for the 5 position.. Danielle already had it when she arrived. Since then it has been one under achieving player after another in the 5 position, except for some games where the other team was just at a huge size disadvantage.

Maybe this players work ethic will be more like our 4 player Jones who worked very hard prior to last season to improve her O, and it paid off for her with an All SEC award!! That better O combined with her rebounding did it for her!
Gap
AG
FYI - Perry has already played her senior season. The blurb from A&M was written last November. She will be at A&M this Fall not in high school another year.
rrtodds
AG
Rudy ... is Zay Green available fall '20 or spring '21 or sitting out 20-21.

This thread started out Z Green then switched to the Perry 6'6" La girl. I assume 6'6" reminded GB of Rachael Green.?.?.

I saw our wbb strength/conditioning coach at HEB yesterday. She did not have an answer to my Z Green question.

Thanks S
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.