Aggies sign Junior College Center, Ella Tofaeono

4,738 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lbasham
fitzwatema
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Women's Basketball Inks JUCO All-American Ella Tofaeono
Apr 16, 2020 | By: Brandon Collins, Athletics Communications
  • Share:
Story Links
COLLEGE STATION, Texas Texas A&M women's basketball and head coach Gary Blair have announced the signing of junior college center Ella Tofaeono on Thursday.

Tofaeono is the 13th junior college player to join the Aggies since Blair was named head coach in 2003, a group that includes 2011 Final Four MOP Danielle Adams, first team all-conference selection Tanisha Smith and Archiri Ade.

Ella Tofaeono | 6-5 | C/F| Midland Junior College | Sydney, Australia
Tofaeono will come to Aggieland as a junior with two years of eligibility remaining, and was named to the 2019-20 National Junior College Athletic Association's All-American Third Team this past season. She was also selected to the Western Junior College Athletic Conference's All-Conference Team, and the NJCAA Region V Team in her sophomore season.

The Sydney, Australia, native averaged 14.6 points per game and grabbed 10.6 rebounds per game during the 2019-20 campaign. She was named WJCAC Player of the Week on five different occasions, and was 12th in the country in offensive rebounds (133) and total rebounds (306).

Tofaeono recorded 10 or more rebounds in 18 games this past year, hauling in a season-high 17 boards three times. She also produced 16 double-doubles, failing to score in double-digits only five times in her sophomore season.

Blair's Thoughts on Tofaeono
"Ella is coming from a national powerhouse in junior college at Midland, where we have signed two other post players, one being Achiri Ade who helped lead us to a Sweet 16 in 2014. Ella is a versatile post player that loves the physical contact inside and can finish down low. Coach Ron Jones and coach Ginger Gatliff are two coaches at Midland that are very familiar with our program and how we develop post players.

Her personality is unbelievable. Her ability to lead and fit right into A&M and the SEC is what we were looking for. We need post players who can fight to contribute right away, knowing that Ciera [Johnson] and N'dea [Jones] will both be seniors next year. She is excited about the prospect of playing at the highest level possible, and we can't wait to get her to Aggieland."
Gap
AG
She is #0 in the below picture. They list her at 6'3" on the Midland roster.

CEAg78
RGbadger
If she had really good hands (to catch a pass) she could beat out Johnson.
L. R. Nelson
cs69ag
AG
In addition to having hands to catch the ball, if she can jump off the floor, and run the court, she can really help us!

And if Nixon is the real deal like her press clippings from HS, we may have a pretty salty team next year!
jackal27
Midland local news on signing and some video of her playing. Great kid. Will do good.
fitzwatema
AG
jackal27 said:

Midland local news on signing and some video of her playing. Great kid. Will do good.
Thanks for posting! I am hoping she will bring some new energy to the team and give them another solid inside threat!
jackal27
Asked what her plans were and she always said TAMU was in play. Happy for her.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Did we just pick up another transfer from Tennessee?
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

Did we just pick up another transfer from Tennessee?
Yes Zaay Green a guard
Bucketrunner
Recruiting looking really good!
fitzwatema
AG
I missed that one, is she eligible immediately or will she have to sit out a year?
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think I read that her immediate eligibility is still to be determined based on the one transfer rule. I think we will know soon. However, she only played 2 games before tearing her ACL for Tennessee from what I've heard. She may still have 4 years of eligibility. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Yes - this team could be VERY solid next season!
cs69ag
AG
Looks like a very good addition to what may be a pretty good team next year!
Averaged 9.6 points and 4 rebounds per game as a freshman at UT
Averaged 13 points in 2 games as a soph prior to her injury.
If she is eligible right away, could be some pretty good competition at the point.
Gap
AG
Are y'all sure Green is a PG? I don't think that is the role she played at Tennessee. Everything I have read about her says she is the off-guard.
aggieFann
She is definitely not a PG. I saw her play at Duncanville and at TN her freshman year and she was an off-guard. She brought a lot of energy and competitiveness. She should be able to start the season granted she is fully recovered by then.
Rudybryan
Gap said:

Are y'all sure Green is a PG? I don't think that is the role she played at Tennessee. Everything I have read about her says she is the off-guard.
your right ........hope rumors are right and we have one coming in because we don't really have an experienced point guard.....
lbasham
AG
Former 4 star recruit McKinzie Green will be a second year point guard, 5 star recruit Kay Kay Green is a point guard and Jordan Nixon a second year transfer and former 5 star recruit can play point as well. We should be fine.
Scarborough Ag
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.