It's official: Carter declares for the WNBA

3,954 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by West Point Aggie
aggieFann
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://instagr.am/p/B-VffC7n5Pz
aggieFann
aggieFann
https://12thman.com/news/2020/3/29/womens-basketball-chennedy-carter-declares-for-wnba-draft.aspx

Carter's Statement
"After much consideration, thought and conversation I have decided to forgo my senior season and enter the 2020 WNBA Draft. It saddens me that I was not able to chase a National Championship with my teammates this year due to circumstances beyond our control. Although a difficult decision, I am looking forward to pursuing my childhood dream of playing in the WNBA.
First and Foremost, I want to thank God to whom I credit my athletic gifts to and to whom all this is possible. Thank you to my family for always pushing me and for always being in my corner. To my coaches, teammates and every individual who touches the women's basketball program thank you all for an unforgettable three years. Lastly, to the fans of Aggieland thank you for your unwavering support, love and generosity. Playing in front of you all is indescribable. Once an Aggie, always an Aggie."
Gap
AG
What happen if the WNBA doesn't play this year? They have a summer season.
Thymes
The league has some leeway because of almost a month off carved out of the original schedule for the Summer Olympics. It will probably be able to cobble together some kind of schedule.
greg.w.h
AG
Wish Chennedy the best! She certainly made us all cheer for her and for her team. And I hope to hear more in the WNBA and internationally. Thank you for choosing Texas A&M!
Sports-Ag
AG
Honestly I did not see this coming with the COVID-19 situation. She was a exciting player to watch and improved her game this season with more than just scoring. It's a shame she didn't get to be the all time A&M scoring list but definitely would have if she wasn't injured this past season. Maybe the injury opened her eyes more to join the league.

She has broken many A&M records and near the top in many. I don't know how it's going to work out with the WNBA season or even if she is to play internationally this year with COVID-19 delaying sports.

I wish her all the best and she was fun and exciting to watch. The DePaul game was incredible to watch as she went off. I remember watching the game Friday afternoon and jumping in the air when she made that clutch three. Her shot was so pure.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Great for her.

As for us, seems par for the course. Have a transcendental player, never really get to take advantage of it. Would have been nice to see her lead the team on a deep run in the tournament.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Great for her.

Is it though?

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/01/14/new-wnba-cba-increases-average-salary-to-nearly-130k-maximum-salary-above-500k/
Gap
AG
From the WNBA on Friday, April 3.

Quote:

"As developments continue to emerge around the COVID-19 pandemic, including the extension of the social distancing guidelines in the United States through April 30, the WNBA will postpone the start of its training camps and tip of the regular season originally scheduled for May 15. While the league continues to use this time to conduct scenario-planning regarding new start dates and innovative formats, our guiding principle will continue to be the health and safety of the players, fans and employees.

In the meantime, the league and our teams remain focused on preparing for the upcoming virtual WNBA Draft 2020 presented by State Farm on April 17. Top prospects will take part remotely live on ESPN with coverage beginning at 7 p.m. ET.
Rambotx
I hope she will receive her degree before going to play in the WNBA. Also, think her stock would have been higher by returning and playing another year at TAMU.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Stock doesn't matter. She's going to make about 100 grand (or less) no matter.
ContinentalAg
Yeah, it's a tight salary range in the WNBA, so waiting a year just means one less season of making 100k or so.
Gap
AG
WNBA seems like the league with the greatest risk of just moving forward to the summer of 2021 for their next season.
West Point Aggie
AG
LOL...what WNBA? That league is going away...and they sure as heck aren't playing this year...of course if playing to nearly empty arenas is the deal, they've been prepping for years!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.