Disappointed, but not Surprised

10,939 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiedrjdub
ClutchCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't care if this isn't a popular opinion.. This team is poorly coached. The players have shown zero improvement from last year, despite essentially everyone returning with multiple years of experience. Some of the mistakes we make are just baffling. The coaches simply look miserable on the sidelines. I feel bad for whoever takes over this team when GB retires because they will inherit an absolute mess of a program. I can't think of a more A&M scenario than Chen comes back and GB has "one last ride" as we get eliminated in the sweet sixteen and leave a shattered program for the next coach. And if/when that next coach misses the tourney all the old Ags will say, "GB would never have let this happen."
BQ_90
AG
I think Jones has made great strides this year. I think Johnson and Wells have regressed. I think our bench has played better than last year.

We just don't give consistent effort. If we played this hard today against Bama we would have won. We're not good enough to beat most teams with partial effort.

Frankly this game didn't bother me. USC is better in every way than we are. The Bama game pissed me off

coloradoag69
AG
Until the last two games, I thought we had good mid-range shooters. Right now, we can buy a shot. I hope whatever has inflicted this team offensively can get straightened out in the next week.
GigemD
No one seems to want to play through the contact ...
Watching Boston in the paint made that one evident. It's almost like we've been banking on our free throws down the stretch.
Wells might want to work on her first step dribble this summer, draft stock will rise.
Wilson showed she's here to stay in starting lineup today.
BQ_90
AG
We are weak IMO, we get balls taken away more than in previous years. Bama pushes us around. There was time were we where a physical team and would wear you out
Thymes
Wow, an anti-Gary thread that has yet to mention the Second Coming of the Messiah in Mississippi!
cs69ag
AG
Read my comments at the end of the game thread and you will see some agreement on all posted here
fieldtrailer
AG
For a moment I thought I was in the softball or baseball forums. Not going top get any better until we get an AD that is left alone. Unlike those programs. I don't think we've waited too long to make a change. But like those 2 programs along with the men's basketball team, it won't suprise me to see the people in charge let this program hit rock bottom before finally making a change. It's in our DNA.
Jimma
Do you mean the Miss State coach that went 183-30 over the last 6 seasons while the Aggies went 141-57.
ddagnor
Everyone is so quick to bash this team. I agree we had a bad week but one of our goals was to get in the top four slots for SEC tourney and it looks like we accomplished that! Our second season starts soon and I'm counting on these ladies to be ready
Bucketrunner
Thymes!!
cs69ag
AG
Our goal became top 4 AFTER we saw that winning the SEC was not real for this team despite being picked first or second. The team never developed or improved except for 3 players.
fitzwatema
AG
Thymes said:

Wow, an anti-Gary thread that has yet to mention the Second Coming of the Messiah in Mississippi!
This made me laugh!
DogCompany74
AG
I'm of the opinion that the offense has gone south because everyone is expecting Chenedy to bail them out in the fourth quarter. When she was injured you had a variety of players stepping up.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
greg.w.h
AG
DogCompany74 said:

I'm of the opinion that the offense has gone south because everyone is expecting Chenedy to bail them out in the fourth quarter. When she was injured you had a variety of players stepping up.
I think her injury created a challenge the team mostly met to win without her. I think they are well positioned to win with her now. But the last two games weren't great showings of that positioning. Time to start winning!!
DogCompany74
AG
There is something to be said for getting more aggressive but it is clear that Ciera Johnson has a " rep" with the refs for fouling . She stays in foul trouble but I'd like to see Cheah Rael Whitsett sub in for Ciera with a crash the boards mentality.

We'll see if they can turn it around this week and salvage that 16 seed nationally.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Rudybryan
These girls DO NOT expect Chennedy to bail them out....all offensive plays come from Gary....

We need to stop getting ticky tacky fouls ....this team should be getting tired of picking there
asses off the floor IF your going to get a foul let them know it
like they are doing you....
Rudybryan
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
cs69ag said:

Our goal became top 4 AFTER we saw that winning the SEC was not real for this team despite being picked first or second. The team never developed or improved except for 3 players.
Did Carter's injury have ANYTHING to do with this ?
cs69ag
AG
Yes. But she played in 5 of the 7 losses if you include the first half of the LSU game at Reed..
Gap
AG
cs69ag said:

Yes. But she played in 5 of the 7 losses if you include the first half of the LSU game at Reed..
In an effort to fight fake news, the accurate number is 3. Why would any thinking person put the game in her L column when she got hurt at home against LSU? We were in control and lead by 8 when she left the game in 2Q. The problem was after she left.

Our 7 losses with Chennedy's status:

Florida St. (neutral site) - played
LSU - we led by 8 points in 2Q when she left with injury
@ Kentucky - out with injury
@ LSU - out with injury
@ Mississippi St.- out with injury
Alabama - played
@ South Carolina - played
cs69ag
AG
oops...not intentional....fuzzy math .....mis counted mea culpa
Rudybryan
Think about what the rest of the team has to go through and the changes and adjustments it causes

We play 2 completely different games when CCplays and when she doesn't play
aggiedrjdub
AG
It just seems we haven't kept up with the evolution of the game. We don't have a dominating 5. We have a 5 that gives all she's got, but she is not a threat to score most nights UNLESS we catch them in a mismatch/switch situation. N'Dea has really impressed me this season. Of course, Chennedy is a mismatch for anyone guarding her (probably my favorite player of all time). But, I do agree with much of what I've read on this thread. Returning all of our starters, all juniors...I would have expected more. Now, Chennedy's injury has no doubt affected the team. I feel like this team is bipolar lol! When they are good, they are very good. When they bad they are very bad.

However, having said all of this, making the tournament is not good enough at A&M. If we aren't competing for the elite 8 and final 4 what the heck are we doing?
Class of 65
AG
Todays game really was a stab in the back. Gave up a 17 point lead.
91 CT
AG
Captain Obvious here........time for GB to retire and let Vic Schaefer "come home to momma.'
jja79
AG
Why would he do that?
Rudybryan
How many national Championships did that coach make with the best player in McCowan funny when Kim had Griner she was suppose to win 4 NC she only got 1 the coach you are referring to got 0 It is not as easy as it sounds
Rudybryan
Yes Vic come and give
Up an audience of 12,000 to play before 100 students out of a student body of 68,500+ Which includes the band and the dance team and the Aggie angels

Remember he was here with Gary and watched Gary standing on street corners promoting basketball - all u who are so big to want to change coaches why don't u work hard to change the environment which would really help the kids on the team ....

GDP
Why would GB do that ? Exactly the point.
GB's inability to know when the ride is over has put Aggie WB in a stagnant pretty good but not great pattern. The AD will earn his money on this one.
I look at it this way.
I don't know if Vic would win a natty at A&M but in the next 10 years he would have a ton more upside than GB.
GB did it once here, but the energy does not seem to be there anymore.
Time to move on. He had a good run here but the current results on the court should be a lot better !
Rudybryan
By the way our post player that went out is avg over 12 per gm we only needed 1 she did over 20 against Arky last time out
greg.w.h
AG
Gary earns the right to go out on his own terms by recruiting Chennedy. This year isn't over.

The game slipped away. That happens. We are talented enough to go to at least the S16 and possibly E8. From there anything is possible.
Wicked Good Ag
We are talented enough to make the elite 8 and then anything can happen. However the road is far more difficult than we ever expected.
Possibly have to play. #3 seed at their home to make it now and then a #2 seed at neutral site
While not impossible at all women's game typically doesn't have near as many upsets as the men's
greg.w.h
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

We are talented enough to make the elite 8 and then anything can happen. However the road is far more difficult than we ever expected.
Possibly have to play. #3 seed at their home to make it now and then a #2 seed at neutral site
While not impossible at all women's game typically doesn't have near as many upsets as the men's
They earned the right to fight harder. I agree.
fitzwatema
AG
Like many posters on here I am frustrated with the play of this year's team, as it has never been very consistent.I too get frustrated with Gary and some of the decisions he makes and I have been chastised for saying that in some games Gary plays not to lose. With that said I will support this team any way I can all but from a distance since I am not retired nor do I have the funds to travel everywhere the team plays. I do hope that it is in the discussion stages somewhere with the AD about a succession plan when Gary retires (he'll be 75 in August). Also, count me as one that is not sure I want Vic back here, he left a bad taste in my mouth with the Howard recruitment. I would be interested in looking at a younger up and coming coach from the SEC or there are a couple in the Missouri Valley Conference that I think could come in and win at A&M.
Crowd support always disappoints me, heck more students show up to the soccer games (not bashing) then the basketball games. Others have suggested ticket and food specials to get fans, I don't have the answers but if I did I could make a ton of money! Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Let's go Aggies, get healthy, get pumped up and go play some great basketball in the NCAA tourney!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Can Buzz coach the women's team also? He's fantastic! So much energy.

We will continue to be an above average program with GB, but we will never be great again with him as our head coach. And I love him and can't believe I just said that. Maybe it's just the frustration talking, but we just appear stagnant. Meanwhile, Dawn Staley is the new SEC and WBB standard.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.