No support

3,455 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bucketrunner
Mandy2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The support of the women's basketball team from the student body is disgusting! For the past 15 years, this program has been one of the top 15 programs year end and year out! These young ladies deserve support every night!
No excuses students! Show up
BQ92
AG
I know it's an excuse but aren't the students still on break?
trackaggie76
AG
I concur but the spring semester hasn't started yet so can't expect much!
Gap
AG
Classes start Monday. Reed seems to be in a location that makes the students forget it exists.
sharpdressedman
Gap said:

Classes start Monday. Reed seems to be in a location that makes the students forget it exists.
greg.w.h
AG
Students are kids. Whaddya expect? They call it all sportsball...
YellAgs
AG
You joined TA to post this?
Rudybryan
YellAgs said:

You joined TA to post this?
I didn't just join and she is right ....it sucks....and not the first time
we have been vocal about it on this board
trackaggie76
AG
I am with you Rudy. Not sure why we can't get students to attend while Baylor, Mississippi State, and others can get students to come to games. The excuse I have heard is that the game is too slow and there are too many turnovers. Unfortunately when we have gotten a good turnout in the past for games with opponents like Baylor and t.u. we have lost those games. I think the women's game is awesome because it relies on skill, tactics and matchups rather than overpowering speed, power and dunks.

GB has made the comment that many of the fans are older (like me) because the women's game is more similar to how we played the game in our youth. I think the students are missing a great opportunity to support one of the most successful programs we have!
Gap
AG
There have been basically no students at either the men's or women's basketball games this year. It is like the students don't know Reed exists.
greg.w.h
AG
Gap said:

There have been basically no students at either the men's or women's basketball games this year. It is like the students don't know Reed exists.
Quick...someone tell them all!!!
bball73
I think part of it is thats just the way it is in Aggieland. Shouldn't be, you'd think with that many students (how many does Baylor / Msstate have?) there would be enough students who would support one of their teams that offers this kind of entertainment potential.

And there's the rub - as noted excitement has built about marquee matchups only to have the Ags put in a disappointing performance. All too often for whatever reason we play too close a game or have make a comeback with lesser teams. Scanning the the top 25 scores I'll often notice a significant point difference for the Baylors and MsStates games but the Ags squeak out another close one or lose.

I find it painful, I suspect the students find it a waste of time. I want to dominate the lesser teams so I can focus on the play - not worry about if we'll pull out another one - and save the real excitement for the top teams.
cs69ag
AG
Those of us posting here for the last 10 yrs or more know this has been discussed over and over.
Wbb attendance never really improves. The sport in not popular in the USA
overall. The WNBA struggles financially. The players have a longer season and make more money overseas where the women's game is much more popular.

Our students turn out for football, baseball and soccer. Some go to softball more than wbb. When Mbb is winning, sometimes Reed fills up. Most women students did not play wbb growing up. Most of the white girls played soccer or softball. A lot of minority girls played HS basketball, but they are a small part of our student population.

Some weeks, there are 2-4 home games, and if a student goes, it will usually be to a men's game.
Most go to neither.

Re bu....women's basketball is popular in the waco area and all around that part of the State...in all the small towns. Plus Mulkey now has 3 national championships and has a very good team almost every year.
Re MSU and Starkville, what else is there to do there? Tenn, UCONN, and Stanford are outliers re popularity
as the game is very popular at those schools with great championship programs recently or in the past.

Also, I think the past rivalries with t.u., bu and tceh that we no longer have hurts attendance some.

trackaggie76
AG
Here's what I got from the NCAA website regarding average WBB attendance from the 2018-2019 season (lots of big schools having WBB attendance issues, however the top 7 have certainly figured it out): The Baylor number surprised me--thought they would be higher.

South Carolina 10,406
Iowa St. 9,573
Louisville 9,531
UConn 8,870
Mississippi St. 8,446
Notre Dame 8,434
Tennessee 8,028
Oregon 7,148
Iowa 6,797
Purdue 6,515
Baylor 6,131
Gonzaga 5,625
Maryland 5,575
Minnesota 5,570
Michigan St. 5,496
Oregon St. 5,438
New Mexico 5,236
Kentucky 4,767
Missouri 4,669
Middle Tenn 4,353
Ohio St. 4,336
Nebraska 4,101
t.u. 4,035
Texas A&M 4,022
Gap
AG

Quote:

Tenn, UCONN, and Stanford are outliers re popularity as the game is very popular at those schools
Stanford is averaging 3,005 this year. They averaged 2,994 last year. They had 2,450 for their home game to get into the Sweet 16 last year. They look up to us as far as fan support.
cs69ag
AG
Thanks for correct info on Stanford. May have been better farther back as they have been to a lot of Final 4's.
biobioprof
cs69ag said:

Thanks for correct info on Stanford. May have been better farther back as they have been to a lot of Final 4's.
When completely full Stanford's Maples Pavilion only holds 7392, so it looks fuller on TV. Reed holds 12,989 with the upper deck open.
Rudybryan
OK let's look at the size of the student body

Texas A & M 68,603

Texas 50,950

So Carolina 34,731

Tenn 28,321

Ms State 21,622

Baylor 14,188

AND OUR EXCUSE IS WHAT?
trackaggie76
AG
I think our "give a darn" factor is pretty low when is comes to WBB. There are a few loyal youngsters and family members in the stands and then a bunch of baby boomers.
Gap
AG
A few more numbers that are part of the discussion regarding the fanbase for women's college basketball as a significant part of the support comes from outside the student body.

2018 metro area population estimate per US census (I just picked the cities listed above):

Austin, TX 2,168,316
Knoxville, TN 883,309
Columbia, SC 832,666
Waco 271,942
College Station-Bryan, TX 262,431
Starkville, MS - not listed as a metropolitan statistical area - so the answer is small

It love to see a chart of pre-Gary and post-Gary with the attendance at A&M. He has put the sport on the map in our community and built a bond. Of course, I'd always like it to be higher because I enjoy the games and wish more would give it a chance because I think they would like what we put on the court.

trackaggie76
AG
Yep--I don't think we have a lot of "walk up" fans who just decide to take in a game.
Rudybryan
I would love to have the last 10 years season ticket holder numbers......

Bucketrunner
Griping about it among ourselves or trying to shame the students will certainly not improve attendance. I'm not sure any marketing ploy will. If they're going to become fans of the game, most will do it before they reach college. Those of us who played the game are more likely to attend, and the numbers of high school girls, as a percentage of the student body, who did play appear to be decreasing.

It's great that some areas are still passionate about the game. And there are smaller schools outside of the immediate BCS area, but still within driving distance, who still are. However, we don't market women's basketball to those areas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.