Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Women's Basketball

No. 11 ranked Aggies crush Houston, get Coach Gary Blair to 800 wins

December 15, 2019

On Sunday afternoon, the No. 11 ranked Aggies defeated University of Houston 72-43, earning A&M coach Gary Blair’s his 800th career win. Blair’s players were motivated to ensure that Blair’s achievement would be celebrated in front of the home crowd.

Chennedy Carter who entered the game averaging 22.7 points on the season, led the Aggies with 23 points while fighting through double team schemes a majority of the first half. Carter currently ranks number one in scoring in the SEC and now has 49 consecutive games scoring double figures.

Not only did Carter play well, but the team as a whole had fantastic ball movement. By the end of the first half, Texas A&M had 15 assists on 18 field goals. Cierra Johnson and N’dea Jones each finished the game with a double-double for total points and rebounds. 

After the game, in a short ceremony to commemorate the historic victory, Texas A&M athletic director, Ross Bjork, presented Coach Blair with a Texas A&M jersey with the number 800.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Gary Blair is joined by his team after earning his 800th career win.

“We are so proud of the standard of excellence that he has meant to this entire university. No one has done it more consistently and better than Coach Blair,” said Bjork.

Additionally, Reed Arena is now the owner of a new banner that reads “Gary Blair 800 wins 2019.” 

Blair unpacked his gratitude for the Texas A&M fans, faculty, players, and the university itself.

“I’ve got players from about every team, but it’s all about the family that you have,” Blair said. “I’ve got the most underrated staff in the country. They’re so good at what they do. Those young ladies over there pay the price. We keep waiting to play the perfect 40 minutes and we try to practice perfect. We gave you about 32-34 perfect minutes, but we’re going to get better because we are going to practice perfect every day to try to be the best that we can. Thank y’all because there is not a better place in the world to live than in Bryan-College Station and be at Texas A&M. I’d like to thank my family but most of all I’d like to just thank y’all.”

Gary Blair ranks fifth in most career wins for active NCAAW coaches and is the eleventh coach in D1 women’s basketball history to reach 800 victories.

The Aggies will be back in action on December 20th and 21st, where they’ll face Georgia Tech and Montana State in the Puerto Rico Coqui Classic.

MESSAGE FROM OUR SPONSOR
Special thanks to 12th Man Technology for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! For the eighth consecutive year, all WBB content will be available to you for free!

No. 11 ranked Aggies crush Houston, get Coach Gary Blair to 800 wins

6,921 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ontheway
jimr70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congratulations to Coach Blair and the team on Coach's super 800th victory !!! Thanks Coach for your great coaching and consistency!
jimr70
Rongagin71
AG
He will be at 1,000 in less than ten years,
but I have no idea how long he will coach.
1836 Texian
Waffle11
AG
Give me more coaches like Gary Blair. Does it right, wins, and is good for the community.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
trackaggie76
AG
Don't know if he will be coaching for 10 more years but I support him regardless!
ontheway
AG
Coach Blair is one of the all time greats in history of ALL Texas A&M coaches.
ontheway
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.