ND guard transferring to A&M

3,656 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggieFann
aggieFann
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://instagr.am/p/BzY2tlKJdG3

According to womenshoopz, Jordan Nixon from Notre Dame is transferring to A&M
cs69ag
AG
wow...a 5'8" point guard out of NY who has won a lot of awards in high school!
Big loss for ND.
Gap
AG
Wow, that is a big time addition. She just finished her freshman year at Notre Dame. Below is an article written going into her senior year of high school. She was class of 2018.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20520839/women-basketball-prospect-jordan-nixon-carries-powerful-memories-grandma-bright-future

Quote:

"Jordan was the best player in the state last season," coach JoAnn Arbitello-Pinnock said, "and she's definitely the best player this year."

Over the summer, Nixon led her iEXCEL AAU team to three national titles at the Nike Chicago tournament, the Basketball on the Bayou in New Orleans, and the Nike Tournament of Champions in Atlanta.

"A great guard can go anywhere they want on the floor, and she has that," said iEXCEL coach Walter Welsh, who compared Nixon's skills to a once-great New York guard on the men's side, the late Dwayne "Pearl" Washington. "She has what I call that 'Brooklyn Boogie.' That's great ballhandling to the point where it's hard to stay in front of her. Defenders tend to fall down."

Nixon's crossover is so killer that her nickname is "Shake Jordan". Nixon is a bit embarrassed about her "Shake" nickname, which was given to her by a youth league coach.

"I'd rather people not call me that," said Nixon, the No. 38 prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Super 60 for the 2018 class. "When I was younger, that was all I could do. But now there is much more to my game. I've added a lot of elements over the past four years, finding different ways to create space."

Welsh said one of those other assets Nixon possesses is her leadership. He said Nixon is the most vocal point guard he has ever seen, adept at getting teammates in correct positions.

Pinnock, who says Nixon's style is a cross between Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi, has followed her star player's progress this summer.

"She's elevated her game," Pinnock said. "Last year, she was coming to us as a new student. She was humble, and she knew we had Danielle Patterson. Jordan held back at times. But this summer was a breakthrough."

And this fall is a fact-finding time. Nixon has cut her list of potential colleges to five: Ohio State, UCLA, Notre Dame, Virginia and Georgia.
Gap
AG
It appears that she had a bit of an injury filled year at Notre Dame. She missed five games early in the concussion protocol and five late in the season with a hamstring injury. The article says she is a team player often deferring to ND's veteran star players during games last year. I like to hear that when the player is a McDonald's AA in her own right.

Quote:

Nixon recently earned one of the 12 spots on the USA Basketball Women's U19 World Cup team that will compete July 20-28, 2019 in Thailand. Thirty players were invited to the tryouts.

A year earlier, Nixon also made the U18 club, but then passed on competing so that she could accompany Notre Dame on its playing tour of Italy and Croatia.

The 5-foot-8 Nixon appeared in 26 of national runner-up ND's 39 games last season, averaging 14.5 minutes, 2.5 points, 1.3 assists, 1.8 turnovers and 0.8 steals.

She shot 45.5% on 2-pointers, 37.5% on 3-pointers, and 84.2% from the free throw line.

Nixon arrived at Notre Dame as a McDonald's All-American, rated No. 56 overall in her class by ESPN.
A strong and athletic guard, Nixon earned high praise on multiple occasions from coach Muffet McGraw for her commitment to studying game film.

Often deferring to ND's star players during games, though, Nixon averaged just 5.2 field goal attempts and 2.0 free throw attempts for every 40 minutes played, and her turnover rate was highest on the club at 4.9 per 40 minutes.
https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notre-dame-point-guard-jordan-nixon-to-transfer/article_8dcff330-eee5-511f-a087-83ce2288cb1c.html
aggieFann
I believe she also just made the U19 USA basketball team as well.
biobioprof
Currently on the U19 National team

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/n/nixon-jordan.aspx

aggieFann beat me to it. (should refresh before posting)
cs69ag
AG
With Jordan Nixon eligible in 2020, Coach Blair could start 4 McD All Americans!

Jordan, Carter, Wilson, Johnson
Thymes
cs69ag said:

With Jordan Nixon eligible in 2020, Coach Blair could start 4 McD All Americans!

Jordan, Carter, Wilson, Johnson
How does she become eligible for next season?
Chapa96
AG
Loving this team!!
cs69ag
AG
she sits 2019-20.
plays for 3 yrs starting in 2020-21 season
aggieFann
Article from The Eagle:
https://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/a-m-adds-transfer-from-notre-dame-to-roster/article_f54b5290-9c86-11e9-9d05-f72ffbaed775.html

"It just felt right," Nixon said Monday night. "It embodies everything that I want. I think coach [Gary] Blair and his staff have established a culture that I really do want to be part of."

Notre Dame didn't use its bench much last season with four senior starters and a junior who all were taken in the WNBA Draft. Notre Dame's starters scored all the points in the Fighting Irish's 87-80 victory over Texas A&M in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. Nixon didn't see action in the game, but she played a part in preparing Notre Dame by emulating A&M point guard Chennedy Carter in practice
Rudybryan
Women's Basketball Adds Notre Dame Transfer Jordan Nixon
Jul 02, 2019

By:
Texas A&M Athletics Communications

COLLEGE STATION Texas A&M women's basketball announced the addition of Jordan Nixon, a member of the USA Basketball U19 team and transfer from Notre Dame, Tuesday. She will be eligible to compete as a sophomore in the 2020-21 season.

"Jordan gives us the scoring mentality and creativity that makes our offense go from both guard positions," said head coach Gary Blair. "She came in on her official visit and fit in like she had been here for yearsshe loves the school, her new teammates and the style of basketball that we play."

"She knows what winning is all about, from high school, her summer program, Notre Dame, USA Basketball and now Texas A&M," added Blair. "After sitting out a season, she will be ready to make an impact during the 2020-21 season."

The New York City native was selected to represent the United States in the upcoming FIBA U19 World Cup, which starts July 20 in Thailand. She was named to the USA's 2018 U18 National Team, but was not able to compete due to school commitments.

Nixon, a 5-8 guard, played 26 games and started three for the eventual 2019 National Finalists Notre Dame. She posted averages of 2.5 points and 1.2 rebounds per game, playing 14.5 minutes per game. She had a season-high of 12 points against Western Kentucky.

A highly-regarded prep recruit, Nixon was named Miss New York Basketball during 2018, and played in the 2018 McDonald's All-American Game. A five-star recruit, she ranked as the No. 38 player and the No. 10 guard in the 2018 class.

Nixon helped The Mary Louis Academy to its first New York State Catholic School Championship in 2017, winning Borough and City titles along the way. She averaged 22.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals as a senior in 2017-18, helping the Hilltoppers to the state semifinals. She led her iEXCEL AAU team to three national titles.

Video https://www.facebook.com/AggieWomensHoops/videos/628848104290240/

fitzwatema
AG
She should be a great addition to the team! Welcome to Aggieland!
aggieFann
Nixon got reinjured during training camp for USA basketball. They haven't disclosed any details of her injury. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/highposthoops.com/2019/07/11/ashley-joens-replaces-injured-jordan-nixon-usa-womens-u19-world-cup-team/amp/
fitzwatema
AG
Hopefully it is not too serious and she can get it taken care of and in to rehab to be ready for the 2020-2021 season. Wishing Nixon a speedy and complete recovery!
biobioprof
aggieFann said:

Nixon got reinjured during training camp for USA basketball. They haven't disclosed any details of her injury. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/highposthoops.com/2019/07/11/ashley-joens-replaces-injured-jordan-nixon-usa-womens-u19-world-cup-team/amp/
Get well, Jordan.
greg.w.h
AG
Has a year to recover, right???
aggieFann
greg.w.h said:

Has a year to recover, right???
Yes she has to sit out the incoming year due to NCAA transfer rules.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.