Transfers everywhere

7,223 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rudybryan
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In addition to Westbrook possibly transferring from TN and the news about the S Carolina group, I thought it might be reasonable to make a general transfers thread to note some other notable transfers and to put them in context of the broader changes to WBB and college sports in general wrt transfers.

Indiana State is the most dramatic example this season (Ole Miss was probably the one from last year)

The other USC is losing a bunch of players after making a late run at relevance in the Pac but missing the NCAAs

The larger context:

greg.w.h
AG
The marketplace for talent is almost free enough...
aggieFann
Another one from the Gamecocks ..Te'a Cooper will be transferring
https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article229080224.html
mullokmotx
AG
Are Dawn's players afraid of competition or is there something else going on? Makes what happened to us last year seem pretty tame.
Fishing Fools
This needs to stop like yesterday. Breaking a commitment and transferring when things don't go your way is getting to easy.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03EkZaqEtqMnKmp-3F9c3hvdg
sharpdressedman
Fishing Fools said:

This needs to stop like yesterday. Breaking a commitment and transferring when things don't go your way is getting to easy.
IMO, it's a generational issue...all about me, me, me. Commitment is just a word.
Rudybryan
sharpdressedman said:

Fishing Fools said:

IMO, it's a generational issue...all about me, me, me. Commitment is just a word.
It started when at age 6 we start handing out participation trophies...passing kids in school 'not based on their work but not wanting to upset them......welcome to the new world.......,give me everything for free and I will sit on my lazy ass for life....we have become a world of wimps and whiners.......
Fishing Fools
About a week ago Staley (I think) said coaches are afraid to discipline the players because they may transfer. Granted Mulkeys BSC, but players know what's she's like and choose to play for her. This thing about the coach is being mean to me so I'm gonna go play for someone else will eventually reduce the quality of coaching and player development. Sad.

jja79
AG
Fishing Fools said:

Should coaches under contract be able to move? That's an even bigger commitment.
Fishing Fools
jja79 said:

Fishing Fools said:

Should coaches under contract be able to move? That's an even bigger commitment.

Trying to compare a 20 year old child getting a free education to play a game to a grown adult with a mortgage, car note, family to feed, and the possibility of getting fired for not winning is absurd.

greg.w.h
AG
The players get to transfer as a means of balancing the power of what is one of the last two forms of legal indentured servanthood in the US: intercollegiate athletes and research/teaching assistants.
coloradoag69
AG
I worked for four large companies from 1972 through 2008. During that time, all those companies tried to "sell" us the "loyalty to us" theme BS, even though they were laying folks off and taking away benefits almost from the first day I was hired. Listening to those of you who are claiming that these young athletes should stay committed when they think they could get a better deal for themselves elsewhere sound like that company line.

Please understand, I don't say that all of them, or even most of them, are making decisions that will ultimately be good for them. But that's part of growing up. The fact is that they want to play or change their situation. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. That's how you learn.
biobioprof
Fishing Fools said:

About a week ago Staley (I think) said coaches are afraid to discipline the players because they may transfer. Granted Mulkeys BSC, but players know what's she's like and choose to play for her. This thing about the coach is being mean to me so I'm gonna go play for someone else will eventually reduce the quality of coaching and player development. Sad.
That was Geno.
biobioprof
coloradoag69 said:

I worked for four large companies from 1972 through 2008. During that time, all those companies tried to "sell" us the "loyalty to us" theme BS, even though they were laying folks off and taking away benefits almost from the first day I was hired. Listening to those of you who are claiming that these young athletes should stay committed when they think they could get a better deal for themselves elsewhere sound like that company line.

Please understand, I don't say that all of them, or even most of them, are making decisions that will ultimately be good for them. But that's part of growing up. The fact is that they want to play or change their situation. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. That's how you learn.
Well said.

As a fan I like our players to stay, and our rivals' players I care less about. But that's selfish, and if I look at it from how I would want things to work for my kid if I had one, I'd want unrestricted right to transfer while hopefully raising them to consider cost-benefit trade off of staying or going.

IMO, solutions that further restrict players' abiliity to transfer are one of those examples of the cure being worse than the disease.

Wicked Good Ag
I am surprised this board isn't calling for heads to roll for STALEY for all the transfer

Many people called for Blair and new direction of the program when we had two transfer out last season
Fishing Fools
biobioprof said:

Fishing Fools said:

That was Geno.

You're right. Staley's rant was the promotion of racism and gender equality. If you can't beat Geno, the white male then do the next best thing.

biobioprof
Wicked Good Ag said:

I am surprised this board isn't calling for heads to roll for STALEY for all the transfer

Many people called for Blair and new direction of the program when we had two transfer out last season
SC should can Dawn and hire Vic!
jja79
AG
Not really. You're the one who mentioned breaking a commitment. Is a contract not a commitment?
greg.w.h
AG
jja79 said:

Not really. You're the one who mentioned breaking a commitment. Is a contract not a commitment?

You're intentionally overloading both words with a personal interpretation. Most contracts include a number of termination circumstances and means for unwinding the relationship if those circumstances can be proven to occur. Many contracts even have termination for convenience which is what buyouts are.

If you are suggesting that a party has a moral obligation to fulfill a contract due to duty or ethics or any other intangible cause when explicit means of terminating is available, I'll offer you're reading into the situation an external standard that is not based on law.

Every student athlete can withdraw from school at any time and largely nothing can be done to ensure performance not to mention that could be a public relations faux pas. The only issue that is left is whether the NCAA can lawfully restrict transfers. They have as a matter of policy CHOSEN to liberalize transfers which means they've in essence added a termination for convenience to all contracts with student athletes.

Neither supporters of restrictiveness for well-paid coaches or student athletes get to interfere with contracting or contract administration or resolution short of informing one party of breaching or illegal behavior.

So...the NCAA permits students who have completed their degrees to transfer to another institution and retain a year of eligibility if they have one left without sitting for a year. Trying to poison that apple is a nefarious action and beneath the expected decorum of our common educational community.

I do believe all buyouts by coaches to schools should be required to be transmitted upon submission of resignation just as all buyouts paid to terminated coaches should. But usually those terms are contractual and detailed and can be administered by a contract officer, an arbitrator, a mediator, or a court.

Most student athletes do not have the means to meaningfully challenge either their school or the NCAA. Hence my indentured servant comment.
jvanbeek
AG

jja79 said:

It is obviously not a commitment. Escape clauses are written into the contract as part of the deal.
biobioprof
Interesting choice for the picture

Rudybryan
Wednesday, April 24, 2019
Notre Dame's Patterson in NCAA transfer portal

Associated Press

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame might lose another scholarship player after Danielle Patterson announced her intention to transfer.

Patterson was one of six scholarship players coach Muffet McGraw figured to use in rebuilding her lineup after each member of the starting five from last season was among the first 19 picks of the WNBA draft. Patterson, a 6-foot-3 sophomore forward from New York, announced her intention to enter the NCAA transfer portal on her Twitter account.

"It has been a privilege to wear Notre Dame across my chest, but the time has come for me to say goodbye and move on," Patterson tweeted.

McGraw was out of town and unavailable for comment, but a team spokesman confirmed Patterson had entered the NCAA transfer portal to look at her options, one of which could be to return to Notre Dame. Patterson last week was named the team's most improved player at an awards ceremony that celebrated a 35-4 season that ended with an 82-81 loss to Baylor in the NCAA championship game.

In two seasons, Patterson has averaged 11 minutes, 2.9 points, 1.7 rebounds and 0.2 assists in 66 games. She scored three points in 27 minutes of four NCAA tournament games this season and did not play against Texas A&M and Baylor as the Irish came up short of repeating as national champions.

If Patterson transfers, McGraw would have only two returning players taller than 5-foot-11 -- 6-3 sophomore Mikayla Vaughn and 6-4 freshman Danielle Cosgrove. The Irish have five scholarship players returning in Vaughn, Cosgrove, 5-10 guards Katlyn Gilbert and Abby Prohaska, and 5-8 point guard Jordan Nixon.

Notre Dame has two top recruits arriving in June in 6-2 forward Samantha Brunelle and 5-10 guard Anaya Peoples, while 5-10 guard Destinee Walker of North Carolina has announced that she will be a grad transfer.

Rudybryan
Lady Vols lose another player with Collins' transfer

8:09 PM CT Associated Press

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Forward Mimi Collins is transferring from Tennessee after just one season with the Lady Vols.

Tennessee athletic department spokesman Eric Trainer confirmed on Thursday that Collins is transferring. 247Sports first reported Collins' departure.

Collins averaged 5.5 points, 3.4 rebounds and 14.5 minutes for Tennessee as a freshman this past season. She started the final four games of the year and averaged 9 points and 2.3 rebounds during that stretch.

The 6-foot-3 forward from Waldorf, Maryland, is a former McDonald's All-American.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Co-scoring leader Westbrook leaves Lady Vols
Collins becomes the second Tennessee player to transfer from Tennessee since the end of the season. Guard Evina Westbrook also is transferring after averaging 14.9 points as a sophomore to tie for the team lead.

Tennessee went 19-13 and ended the season with a loss to UCLA in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Tennessee fired coach Holly Warlick and replaced her with former Missouri State coach Kellie Harper after the season.

Maria Cornelius Twitter:

Mimi Collins to transfer from @LadyVol_Hoops. The freshman from Maryland played in all 32 games last season. She will enter transfer portal within 48 hours after notifying #LadyVols on Thursday of her intent to transfer.
Rudybryan
Sharna Ayres (5-11 FR shooting guard, Melbourne, Australia) is transferring from Marquette to LSU

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=211802480
Rudybryan
Ex-UConn guard Coombs transfers to Georgia

ATHENS, Ga. -- Mikayla Coombs, a guard who was the 2017 Georgia high school player of the year, is transferring from UConn to Georgia.

Coombs will have two years of eligibility at Georgia and is applying for a waiver for immediate eligibility without sitting out a year.

The 5-foot-10 Coombs was a backup at UConn. Her plan to transfer was announced by the school last month.

Georgia coach Joni Taylor said in a statement released by the school on Monday that Coombs is "the complete package" and "an explosive play-maker."

Coombs earned 2017 Naismith and WBCA high school All-America honors at Wesleyan School near Atlanta before signing with UConn. She averaged 0.9 points and 11.5 minutes last season.
Rudybryan
Ex-Texas guard Littleton lands at South Carolina

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Former Texas guard Destiny Littleton is transferring to South Carolina.
Littleton is a 5-foot-9 guard who joined the Longhorns as a McDonald's All-American and five-star recruit. She announced her latest college choice Monday on Twitter, posing in a South Carolina uniform alongside Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley.

Littleton, of La Jolla, California, started 12 of 33 games last season, averaging 8.4 points and 3.6 rebounds. Littleton will sit out next season before having two years of eligibility left.

Staley's team had three players, including leading scorer Te'a Cooper, transfer out of the program last month. Along with Cooper, guard Bianca Jackson and forward LaDazhia Williams chose to look for another school.
Rudybryan
Adebayo transfers from Murray State to UConn

STORRS, Conn. -- The UConn women's basketball team has added Evelyn Adebayo, a graduate transfer from Murray State, to its roster for next season.

Adebayo had 19 double-doubles last season and averaged 18.2 points and 11.4 rebounds for the Racers.

She is from London and played for Great Britain in the 2015 U20 European Championship. She spent her first two collegiate seasons at Gardner-Webb.

UConn (35-3) lost to Notre Dame in the Final Four last season.
Rudybryan
Syracuse, N.Y. -- Redshirt freshman forward Marie-Paule Foppossi has decided to transfer from the Syracuse women's basketball team.

The Strausbourg, France, native appeared in 17 games this season and averaged 0.9 points and 1.2 rebounds per game for the Orange. Foppossi joined SU for the 2017-18 season but redshirted due to NCAA rules. She has three years of NCAA eligibility remaining.

"Marie-Paule is a hard worker and has been an excellent teammate the last two years," head coach Quentin Hillsman said in a statement. "We wish her the best in her future."

Foppossi is a member of the U20 French National Team with Syracuse's Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi and Kadiatou Sissoko.

Rudybryan
Vic is on the move

Schaefer Adds Transfer Sidney Cooks

May 15, 2019

by Brian Ogden, Assistant Coordinator/Communications

STARKVILLE
Mississippi State head women's basketball coach Vic Schaefer announced the signing of Sidney Cooks on Tuesday.

Cooks will transfer from Michigan State where she averaged 9.5 points and 4.6 rebounds per game in two seasons. The forward from Kenosha, Wisconsin, will have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the coming season.

Cooks closed her Spartan career with a double-double against national runners-up Notre Dame in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, collecting 17 points and 12 rebounds. That performance followed a career-high 21-point night in the first round against Central Michigan.

She scored in double figures in 15 of her 30 games last year with three 20-point nights. Cooks also had 15 double-figure scoring games as a freshman with her first career double-double coming at Minnesota (Jan. 7, 2018).

For her career, she is a 47.3 percent (231-of-488) shooter from the field and hits 37.5 percent (51-of-136) of her shots from behind the arc. She has 59 career blocks.

Cooks was the Associated Press girls' basketball player of the year in Wisconsin as a senior for St. Joseph Catholic High School. She was the No. 5 prospect and No. 2 at her position by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school. Cooks was a McDonald's All-American and Naismith Trophy High School Third-Team All-American.

She also has extensive international experience, playing with the USA U18 National Team that won gold at the 2016 FIBA Americas Championship in Chile.

Schaefer has had success adding transfer players before. Anriel Howard was a key member of State's Elite Eight run this past year and was a second-round draft pick of the Seattle Storm in April after joining the Bulldogs from Texas A&M. Jordan Danberry came to Starkville from Arkansas and boasted the second-highest scoring increase in the SEC this year.

Other notable Bulldog transfers returning next year include Andra Espinoza-Hunter (UConn) and Promise Taylor (Ole Miss). Espinona-Hunter became a major three-point threat for MSU and set the SEC Tournament record with eight three-pointers in the championship game this season while posting the No. 7 single-season three-point percentage in school history. Taylor will return to competition after sitting out the 2018-19 season due to transfer rules.
biobioprof
How did I miss this?!

eta: twitter embeds seem flaky these days, so the this referred to is Westbrook to UConn.
biobioprof
Minyon Moore - grad transfer from USC who we played against last season - has signed with Oregon.

With Cazorla graduating, she is likely to start alongside Ionescu.
biobioprof
tu is losing 6-7 post Sedona Prince. She didn't play last year after a bad injury over the summer before her freshman year.

biobioprof

There is some suggestion that she was unhappy about how tu and her medical treatment.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Sedona-Prince-Oregon-Womens-Basketball-Ducks--133463904/

Quote:

"For me, my medical was what wrong at Texas. I was trying to find a place where I felt comfortable and can live for the next four years and be and where my career and health will be the best... It's kind of a perfect fit. I'm happy to be a Duck."

Regardless of when she plays her first minutes in Eugene, Prince will have four years to play at Oregon. She enrolled last year at Texas and used a medical redshirt.
Prince describes her leg break, which she suffered playing for Team USA at last year's U18 Women's Americas Championship in Mexico City, as having been of the "bad" variety. The break was so gnarly that it's required mulitple surgeries, 11 months of rehabiltation and even a metal plate.
"I didn't just break my leg, like I destroyed it," she explained. "I broke it bad. It took almost 11 months to heal it after two surgeries and a ton of intensive care."
Rudybryan
Oregon is going to be formidable
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.