Women's March Madness

10,604 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greg.w.h
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought I'd make a thread to include what people think about the bracket overall and/or other teams

For example: 538's predictor for every team.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-march-madness-predictions/womens/

and this:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26297015/women-ncaa-basketball-tournament-2019-bracket-winners-losers

Bracket complaints around the web. I think we were placed correctly and fairly, but I can see other teams being unhappy with their placement
  • UConn as a 2 seed is getting a lot of discussion
  • UK and Mizzou both got worse seeds than Creme predicted
  • Ohio unhappy that Tennessee got the last spot

If you watch WBB other than the Ags, what early round games look interesting to you? Mine:
  • The Rice-Marquette game could be a good one, esp. since those of us going to our game can catch it live.
  • Tenn vs UCLA (and all the other SEC teams)
  • Indiana vs tu. Indiana was a last 4 in and I haven't watched them. But IU has some good wins and tu has some ugly losses. After Tenn, they have to be a contender for biggest fall from preseason expectations.
greg.w.h
AG
1. I'm fascinated by the under .500 in conference, under 20 win teams in both the men's and women's brackets. Example OU in the men's and Tennessee in the women's.

2. I think the Vols have their work cut out to make much progress in the tournament, but they do have GOOD players and coaching. But maybe not GREAT.

3. I'm also fascinated the early signals on the value of the NET v. RPI. I think both full-picture ranking systems aren't that helpful for selecting between two teams particularly at the tail (12-16.)

4. I think we got a gift with our region and with ND. Not that they aren't a very good team, but we look like we could spoil their S16 if we get to play them. Don't yet have an opinion past that...and of course we have to win twice to play them.

I'll stop with those four for now.
biobioprof
greg.w.h said:

1. I'm fascinated by the under .500 in conference, under 20 win teams in both the men's and women's brackets. Example OU in the men's and Tennessee in the women's.

2. I think the Vols have their work cut out to make much progress in the tournament, but they do have GOOD players and coaching. But maybe not GREAT.

3. I'm also fascinated the early signals on the value of the NET v. RPI. I think both full-picture ranking systems aren't that helpful for selecting between two teams particularly at the tail (12-16.)

4. I think we got a gift with our region and with ND. Not that they aren't a very good team, but we look like we could spoil their S16 if we get to play them. Don't yet have an opinion past that...and of course we have to win twice to play them.

I'll stop with those four for now.
The Vols are dangerous because of the talent and inconsistency. But they get UCLA in the first round and UCLA has been playing well at the end. They split with Oregon in the regular season and took the Ducks to OT in the Pac tourney.

I'm curious about NET too.

I don't think there's a lot of difference in degree of difficulty among the 1s this year. ND S16 rematch would be fun, but both teams are significantly different. Obviously we have the 4 new starters. ND having Brianna Turner healthy makes them a lot better.

biobioprof
Texas loses to bubble team Indiana in Eugene.
oklaunion
Danni had their last shot to tie it but missed. Damn shame.
Bucketrunner
oklaunion said:

That sounds hauntingly familiar.
racerfink
Would be nice if the NCAA wasn't trying to protect Miami at home right now.
biobioprof
oklaunion said:

It wasn't really their last chance, though. There were 45 seconds left. She rushed it, but tu had other chances and turned it over... after IU tried to give it away by getting a 5 second call up 2 after calling a timeout to advance the ball.

Just a bad display of end of game basketball from both teams.
oklaunion
biobioprof said:

oklaunion said:

It wasn't really their last chance, though. There were 45 seconds left. She rushed it, but tu had other chances and turned it over... after IU tried to give it away by getting a 5 second call up 2 after calling a timeout to advance the ball.

Just a bad display of end of game basketball from both teams.
Sorry. I thought she took their last shot of the game to tie at that point in time.
biobioprof
SEC teams advancing so far
Ags
Mizzou
S Carolina
Miss St
Kentucky

All were higher seeds

Tenn and Auburn play today. Tenn vs UCLA coming up soon.
biobioprof
Lady Vols providing support for angry Ohio fans so far. Down 10 at the first media timeout.
mvegas
Maybe the Lady Vols will come back today...but they really need to make a coaching change. Too much talent for the lack of effort and execution they've displayed against UCLA (and really, most of the season).
biobioprof
UCLA up 12 at half.

I'm still annoyed that Rennia Davis made second team all SEC. Not saying it should have been Kayla because Wells is only one of several players who had better seasons than Davis. Near the end of the first quarter Davis had a turnover that illustrates why. Trying to set up a crossover, she lost her dribble between her own legs and out of bounds. It was like something you'd see from the little kids in the halftime show.
biobioprof
Tenn with a big comeback in the 3rd

57-54 UCLA going into the 4th.
biobioprof
Lady Vols take the lead. Timeout UCLA.
Cedar09
Tennessee had no right to be in the tournament, got in because the name on the jersey.
biobioprof
Classic 2019 Tenn collapse after taking the lead. Bad turnovers and going walkabout on D in crunch time.
Rudybryan
what is the definition of All American......cause TN has a boat load of them
biobioprof
Rudybryan said:

what is the definition of All American......cause TN has a boat load of them

I think in terms of TN, people are talking about the McDonalds AA teams out of HS.
Rudybryan
Well they need to access better when passing out titles....so far none
of TN players have impressed me....
biobioprof
Rudybryan said:

Well they need to access better when passing out titles....so far none
of TN players have impressed me....
Prediction of success is inexact in many areas of life, not just HS girls becoming NCAA WBB players. But your comment is a big part of why Holly is on the hot seat.

This doesn't help, I imagine.

biobioprof
Oregon State needs OT to escape being upset by Boise.
BQ92
AG
Wow.
It's obvious that she is not bought into the team or staff. Maybe Holly isn't the only one that needs to leave I certainly would not like that player representing my school.

Tenn should not have gotten into the dance.
biobioprof
Blair Schaefer doing the analyst commentary as S Dakota State has Cuse on upset alert.
biobioprof
Ags will play ND (surprise!)
S Dakota State pulls away from Syracuse
UCLA upsets Maryland
NC State eliminates Kentucky
Rudybryan
Baylor has their hands full

Cal 12 Baylor 12
greg.w.h
AG
46-27 Baylor at the half. They shot lights out and the other Bears didn't have an answer.
biobioprof
greg.w.h said:

46-27 Baylor at the half. They shot lights out and the other Bears didn't have an answer.
and here in Texas we won't get switched to a closer game.
biobioprof
3 seed Iowa State loses to 10 seed Missouri State in Ames.

Baylor the only B12 team in the S16.
fitzwatema
AG
4 PAC12 teams are in the Sweet 16 with a chance for one more to make it in (Standford - playing the late game).
greg.w.h
AG
biobioprof said:

greg.w.h said:

and here in Texas we won't get switched to a closer game.

I switched to something more important in my life...
mullokmotx
AG
The Missouri State coach played 4 years at Tennessee. Wonder if anyone in the know in Knoxville is aware of this.
biobioprof
mullokmotx said:

The Missouri State coach played 4 years at Tennessee. Wonder if anyone in the know in Knoxville is aware of this.
Her name gets mentioned but the more delusional Vol fans don't want her because she got fired at NC State before landing the Missouri State job.
biobioprof
fitzwatema said:

4 PAC12 teams are in the Sweet 16 with a chance for one more to make it in (Standford - playing the late game).
Stanford makes it 5 Pac teams but had some really sloppy play. 3 straight turnovers for fast break layups and a bunch of missed FTs let BYU get the final margin below 10.

5 Pac: Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona State
3 ACC: ND, Louisville, NC State
3 SEC: A&M, S. Carolina, Miss State
1 B12: Baylor
1 B1G: Iowa
1 AAC: UConn
1 Summit: SD State
1 MVC: Missouri State
fitzwatema
AG
Thanks for the breakdown of teams from each league! I appreciate your hard work keeping us updated!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.